Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Carolina coast

Has anyone camped in Hilton Head or Charleston SC? What about Lakewood Campground at Myrtle Beach? We are going there this summer.
Rockytop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

We are staying at James Island County Park in Charleston and Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort in Hilton Head. We are staying at Mistletoe State Park in Augusta, GA on the way home. Any thoughts?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

The only place I've camped in/near Charleston is James Island County Park which is excellent. As far as Myrtle Beach I have only stayed at Huntington Beach State Park which is wonderful, close to great seafood places, far enough away from MB for some peace and quiet yet close enough so that if you must shop you can. We never been much for the mega campgrounds.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #4

At myrtle beach I've stayed at pirate land, Lakewood a few times,and ocean lakes at least 2 weeks every year. At ocean lakes you can bring your own golf cart and the sites are mostly concrete but they have more kids, I still prefer ocean lakes make your reservations early if you want close to the ocean.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are currently at Hilton Head Harbor. We love it. Beautiful resort, very quiet and we are right across the street from the pool and hot tub. We're paying $49 a night because we're here for two weeks. Very nice.

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We loved James Island. Good bike/walking paths and the best dog parks anywhere.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #7

James Island is a very nice park near Charleston and Folly Beach. Willow Tree rv resort in Longs SC. is only about 10 minutes from Myrtle Beach and is one of the best campgrounds you will find in the Carolinas. Huge sites , all concrete pads and green grass. You wont find a cleaner campground.
Blacksmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Stay at Lakewood three to four times a year. Been camping there for over 40 years. Really nice and not too crowded even when it is busy.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #9

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Lakewood campground is nice and close to lots of attractions. We love James Island County Park for the peacefulness and yet still close to some great dining and places to visit such as: Folly Beach, Historic Charleston, and Market Street for shopping.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
oceanlakes to me is far better than lakewood or pirateland
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #11

You may also want to check Oak Plantation Campground on Hwy 17 South. It is nice and clean with friendly staff. Check out this link:
Oak Plantation Campground, Charleston SC - Home
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #12

Oceanlakes. My dad knows the family that owns the place and we have been there several times.
Good people, friendly staff and great sights!!
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

We have a two year old and a four year old. I was told that Pirate Land seemed a little run down which is why we didn't choose Pirate Land. Lakewood seemed to have a little more for the kids to do. Does that sound accurate?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #14

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop77 View Post
We have a two year old and a four year old. I was told that Pirate Land seemed a little run down which is why we didn't choose Pirate Land. Lakewood seemed to have a little more for the kids to do. Does that sound accurate?
Imo, yes, pirate land my be just right for many, but last year I stayed there for a long weekend and the park just didn't seem to be as nice as ocean lakes or lakewood. If I had young children and was looking to stay at on of the above three, I would choose ocean lakes first, then lake wood if I couldn't find a good spot at ocean lakes. Both ocean lakes and lake wood offer lots of entertainment for the children, clean park and facilities, very nice people, near points of interest if you find you need anything that the camp ground doesn't offer. Be safe and enjoy your travels
booger is offline   Reply With Quote