Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

CG along the way to Yellowstone.

I'm pulling out Thursday morning on my way to yellowstone. My first stop along the way will be the badlands for a couple nights. I'm leaving from hanceville,AL and looking to drive 600 miles a day so I will need to camp 2 nights along the way to badlands. Looking for some info on decent CG to overnight at. I was going to hit walmart but the wife said no.

Got the MH and toad bout ready to go. Just got base plate on the honda so took it for a tow behind MH to see how it pulled. I was going to take the jeep wrangler but the element is like having an enclosed trailer behind you for storage.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I work in GTNP--no campground reservations except at Coulter Bay. In YNP yes some. Be sure to look for campsite early in the day in the NP's--they fill up fast! Many campgrounds max at 35'--not so much the parking site but the CG roads very narrow, twisty, and overhanging branches. Weather will start to change in northern YNP by Labor Day--be prepared! We have had 31 degree weather for a couple nights in July--not unheard of in Sept.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Home - Lazy Day Campground Danville Missouri

just off Missouri Exit 170, I-70

We had an excellent supper in nearby Montgomery at this restaurant.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are planning of driving 600 miles a day that won't leave much time at a campground. Pretty aggressive plan although I've done as much as 800 miles in a day.

When we are traveling like this we normally do stop at a Walmart if it is permitted. We find it convenient and safe and usually take the time to walk through Walmart for supplies and to stretch our legs.

We also have made numerous stops at Cabela's, they are scattered across the country and they usually have dumps and fresh water fillups with designated RV parking.

Also have stayed at Casion's if they are easy to find. Usually will go in and drop a dime in a slot just so we can say we "gambled" a little.

But if wife says NO it means NO. Hope you find suitable accommodations.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

FWIW, 600 miles is a long day. I've done it several times but it's not much fun. If you do 600 the first day, you might want to split the distance for the remaining mile into 2 even segments.

My wife and I like this campground along 80 in Nebraska.

Grand Island KOA | Camping in Nebraska | KOA Campgrounds

They have a cafe that serves an excellent supper onsite.

Stopping here will get you off the interstate for most of your last day.

Here is a Google map
https://goo.gl/maps/6sF8G
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Thanks for replies. I'm looking to stay south of Kansas City first night then not sure the next maybe west of souix falls. I then have all my CG booked for rest of trip.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a KOA just east of Mitchell, SD that we have stayed at. Not a bad place and out there on the plains CGs can be hard to find. From there it is an easy days drive to the Badlands.

It even has trees!!!

BTW, do take the time to stop at Wall Drug. You will not regret it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here you go............

Mitchell KOA | Camping in South Dakota | KOA Campgrounds
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

First - are you retired? If so, why are you putting so many miles per day?

From Hanceville, Alabama to the Badlands (town of Interior), you have 1350 miles.

The busy tourist season is winding down, especially for the areas you'll be driving. There's absolutely no reason to plan so definitely and make reservations for your drive to the Badlands. When you get within a 100 miles of when you feel you want to stop, look on a map, pick a town on your route and Google for a campground. Or plug it into campgroundreviews.com Then you won't have to meet a deadline. Perhaps you'll be driving less miles or more (hope not), or perhaps you'll have minor mechanical problems (hope not), or maybe you'll want to spend another day checking out a specific area along your drive.

By the way, for the Badlands, the park itself has a very nice campground - quiet, lots of stars at night. Then you can drive across the park which parallels the main highway, and comes out at the other end for the continuation of your trip.

Pulling into RV parks by mid-afternoon assures you of a site and gives you time to relax and plan your next day.

Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
First - are you retired? If so, why are you putting so many miles per day?

From Hanceville, Alabama to the Badlands (town of Interior), you have 1350 miles.

The busy tourist season is winding down, especially for the areas you'll be driving. There's absolutely no reason to plan so definitely and make reservations for your drive to the Badlands. When you get within a 100 miles of when you feel you want to stop, look on a map, pick a town on your route and Google for a campground. Or plug it into campgroundreviews.com Then you won't have to meet a deadline. Perhaps you'll be driving less miles or more (hope not), or perhaps you'll have minor mechanical problems (hope not), or maybe you'll want to spend another day checking out a specific area along your drive.

By the way, for the Badlands, the park itself has a very nice campground - quiet, lots of stars at night. Then you can drive across the park which parallels the main highway, and comes out at the other end for the continuation of your trip.

Pulling into RV parks by mid-afternoon assures you of a site and gives you time to relax and plan your next day.

Have a good trip!
I'm not retired. My wife and I are taking a little over 2 weeks for this trip. If the CG's won't be full around this time I will play it by ear on the way up. I'm staying at cedar pass lodge in badlands park, then fort welikit in Custer, then yellowstone valley rv. Thanks for the reply.