Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CG in Monterey California

Looking for suggestions for a nice CG in Monterey, CA area. Prefer full hook ups and accessible to our 40' rig. We'll be heading up 101 from the Los Angeles area. Suggestions?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Monterey county has a campground called Laguna Seca Recreation Area which overlooks the raceway. My 40' fit fine and it has power and water with a dump station. Your above the fog usually and the views and sunsets are really nice. Probably 10 - 15 minutes to cannery row. There is a short 16 degree hill to climb to get to the campground. Make a reservation this time of year. It's a beautiful area.
https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/lagunaseca.html

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have stayed at the Monterey County Fairgrounds. I was in a class B plus and is adequate. I'm not sure about room not big rigs but believe so. A steep rise as you enter. Go in at an angle.

DickW
Blue Skies and Safe Travels
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
thanks you guys. We'll give it a try.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If you want a beautiful CG try the KOA Express in Moss Landing just 10 minutes south of Monterey. I normally don't recommend KOA's, but the last time we were there this one was worth it. We had stayed there many times before they became a KOA and loved it. It is a small park and I never had any problems getting parked with our 38' (which actually is over 39'). After they became a KOA things did not change much, except it was harder to get a reservation. The park is completely landscaped, they do not allow tents, this is NOT a rural setting, but if you like falling asleep to sea lions barking, this your place. The park is right next to a working harbor, the Monterey Bay Aquarium research vessels home port here as well as many fishing vessels. If you walk around the harbor you are likely to see a sea otter or 2 just lolling away the afternoon. If you walk less than a mile you can eat at Phil's fish house (Phil beat Bobby Flay in a Ciapino cook off). Many nights the fog rolls in and you hear the fog horns in chorus with the sea lions.

Be aware we have not been there since 2005, (we moved to the east coast) I only hope it has not changed. The pictures on-line look pretty much the same and the ratings show 4 3/4!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #6

Small correction: MossLanding is North of Monterey.
mchance47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #7

We spent a week at the Monterey County Fairgrounds in early May in our 40 foot coach. There are a very limited number of decent spaces for long rigs. They put us in the lower lot which can accommodate any length. The problem is it is sand and so severely sloped I could not level the coach. I went to Home Depot and got 4 additional inches of blocks to get the rig leveled. My front wheels were off the ground and we had to use a step stool to reach the entry steps. The folks here were nice and the location is great but we will not stay there again. We are booked into Marina Dunes resort for September and will see how that goes. It is just north of Monterey about 5 miles, much closer than the Moss Landing location which is about 15 miles North. We have heard good thing about Laguna Seca but have not stayed there. We used to live in Monterey so know most if not all of the available choices and this sums them all up. Because Monterey is such a great destination any place you stay will work out for you I am sure.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Marina Dunes in march it was a little noisy but we have been in worse. The beach access was good.
We would stay there again if we were in the area.
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal01 View Post
We stayed at Marina Dunes in march it was a little noisy but we have been in worse. The beach access was good.
We would stay there again if we were in the area.
Norcal,

What kind of noise? Freeway noise? Neighbor noise?

thanks
Old 07-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bill,
If you don't mind staying at a campground that's 30 to 45 minutes away from Monterey, I would highly suggest staying here Betabel RV Park.

This campground is near Gilroy, Ca.and is one of the nicer ones that I have stayed in. I just recommended it to my brother in law and he enjoyed part of his honeymoon there after recently getting married.

The campground has both back in and pull through sites that can accommodate your length of coach. I always pick a pull through so I can get reception with my satellite dish. The main highway is far enough away so there is no noise at night.

I'm sure you'll like it there.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #11

If you don't mind a 50 mile drive to Monterey, Yanks RV Resort in Greenfield is very nice ... long pull-thrus and super clean baths/showers. The place is about 3-4 years old. It does get windy in that area. We stayed with a 45 ft. coach and a Yukon toad and had room to spare.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
YC1

Ditto Dr Daves recommendation,. Phils is phenominal.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freeway noise. They very close to Hwy 1. Still a very acceptable park.
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal01 View Post
Freeway noise. They very close to Hwy 1. Still a very acceptable park.

Just to be clear, Betabel's is very near the freeway, so it has freeway noise. Moss landing can be noisy if the sea lions are partying, other wise it is QUIET, only sail boat lanyards slapping against their masts and the occasional fog horn if the marine layer has rolled in.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, monterey