Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

CG/ "must-see" suggestion between PHX and Davis Mtn SP (Texas)?

So after our Christmas holiday with family, we are planning Davis Mountains SP on Dec 27th, Maverick Ranch RV Pk in Lajitas, then 29th-02nd at Big Bend NP (the boondocking site). I plan to leave my sister's in NW AZ on Dec 26th, drive for 5-6 hrs then end up somewhere for the night so that the following day we can drive the same amount of time and get to Davis Mtn SP.

Any ideas for a place to go/ see/ or CG approx 6-8 hrs East of Phoenix along the I-10 route? Looking for an idea that's not so city-like. As in, I don't really want to stay in Deming, Las Cruces or El Paso.

There's a BLM in the Organ Mountains, Aguirre Spring CG. But that might be too far off route, especially for just a night. Then again, looks like maybe only 25 or so miles off I-10.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

While it is not out in the country we stayed at Coachlight RV Park in Las Cruses. Price was right with PassPort American. We went in to Old Town Mesilla, NM for dinner. It a couple miles away from RV park.
At Davis Mountain we stayed at the State Park. Very nice park.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
While it is not out in the country we stayed at Coachlight RV Park in Las Cruses. Price was right with PassPort American. We went in to Old Town Mesilla, NM for dinner. It a couple miles away from RV park.
At Davis Mountain we stayed at the State Park. Very nice park.
Hey thanks. I'll look them up.

I came across Rockhound SP and City of Rocks SP... might consider that too. The Organ mtns looks cool but up a steep grade... prob not worth it for one night.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
Hey thanks. I'll look them up.

I came across Rockhound SP and City of Rocks SP... might consider that too. The Organ mtns looks cool but up a steep grade... prob not worth it for one night.
We stayed in Deming to visit Rockhound and City of Rocks SP's, if you enjoy rockhounding you will have fun, lots of interesting agates and jaspers. We went the same time you are planning on being in the area since the wife does NOT like rockhounding with snakes! We talked to the Rangers at the parks, they knew the snake trouble areas, and yes we still saw a few rattlers even then.

Not sure if you have enough time to consider Carlsbad Caverns, that was simply amazing and worth the time.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

Guadaloupe Nat'l Park is a pleasant area. Also, Carlsbad Caverns. Both east of El Paso. The temps your whole route will probably be cold/cool at that time of year.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Not a campground but an intersting stop south of Tuscon is a (closed) Titan missle launch site an interesting couple of hours. http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
freecampgrounds.com shows a rest area at mm135 that has overnight parking, with restroom. View of Las Cruces. Might look at that.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Thanks all. Y'all are awesome for responding so quickly. I booked a site at Rockhounds SP. I'm confused about the NM parks pass though. The webportal prompted me to pay $180 for an annual "camping permit". I declined that option since we'll just be passing through and I'm not sure I'll be back in NM next year.

Do I have to pay a SP camping permit fee on top of the CG fee for just one night?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
Thanks all. Y'all are awesome for responding so quickly. I booked a site at Rockhounds SP. I'm confused about the NM parks pass though. The webportal prompted me to pay $180 for an annual "camping permit". I declined that option since we'll just be passing through and I'm not sure I'll be back in NM next year.

Do I have to pay a SP camping permit fee on top of the CG fee for just one night?
From their website, it does appear there is a hefty annual park pass fee of $180 for NM residents, and $225 for nonresidents (yikes!). Maybe that is why we stayed in Deming, not sure. The daily fee without camping is only $5. There is a phone list on the site if you want to verify:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/FeesPermits.html

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #10

I will follow this thread as I will be on a similar route. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That time of year you can have snow at any elev. above 4,000 ft. Be prepared to alter your plans
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #12

You do not have to buy an annual pass for camping in the New Mexico State Parks. I camp there several times a year and pay a daily park permit plus camping fee. The daily fee is $6. You do have to go to the Reserve America website that will cost you $10 per reservation. My most recent stay was at Villanueva State Park which was $28 for two nights plus the $10 reservation fee.

WM
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a little known gem just east of Tucson in the Texas Canyon area, right off I-10. It's off of Dragoon Rd. It's called Triangle T Ranch. It has hook ups, and horse riding. Along with the movie set of 3:10 to Yuma, is still there to walk around and see. There is a bar, but it's only open on Sat, that I know of.

It is a very quite little park area, and Dragoon is not too far down the winding road. We went for the 4th of July, and had a blast doing nothing. But that what we wanted for that trip.

Oh, and it was on Hotels Impossible, I think!!! But they won the 2014 Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor.

Tucson Ranch | Tucson Events | Tucson Arizona Weddings | Tucson Activities | AZ Guest Ranch | Arizona Ranch | Tucson Horse Riding | Tucson Rodeo| Family activities | Summer Activities | Kids activities | Tucson Weekend Activities

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #14

I second Triangle in Texas Canyon and don't miss the museum.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas