Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
cg near detroit zoo

want to take 2 5 year olds to zoo than camp 2 days .any sugestions
save travles thanks bob'linda & missy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not really, the only campground nearby would be the state fairgrounds and I don't think they are "in business" (At least that business" as the most recent stories I've seen in the news on that are.. not encouraging.

Now, if you are a member of the MOOSE (if not join) the Taylor Lodge is not all that far away and has 30 amp sites (elecric only) Moose is family oriented. There is the Detroit Greenfield Campground west of Detroit (The Zoo is in Royal Oak)

There are campgrounds up around Holly, MI.

There is one out towards Brighton I've stayed at (Can't recall it's name)

But none that I would call near the zoo... Algonac State Park on the east side might not be bad though. Lovely park, I have never stayed there but I did drive past.

If I still had a house I'd offer you a site, but alas, the bank owns it now.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
Not really, the only campground nearby would be the state fairgrounds and I don't think they are "in business" (At least that business" as the most recent stories I've seen in the news on that are.. not encouraging.

Now, if you are a member of the MOOSE (if not join) the Taylor Lodge is not all that far away and has 30 amp sites (elecric only) Moose is family oriented. There is the Detroit Greenfield Campground west of Detroit (The Zoo is in Royal Oak)

There are campgrounds up around Holly, MI.

There is one out towards Brighton I've stayed at (Can't recall it's name)

But none that I would call near the zoo... Algonac State Park on the east side might not be bad though. Lovely park, I have never stayed there but I did drive past.

If I still had a house I'd offer you a site, but alas, the bank owns it now.
Algonac is a great spot fun watching the ships go by.
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandt...=433&type=SPRK
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #4

You have a number of people here that want to help, but we need to know a little bit more about what you have in mind.

The Detroit Zoo is at about 10mile and Woodward and there really isn't much camping in that area.

Would a "parking lot" with electricity be enough?
Are these city kids so grass and a fire ring is camping?
Did you have in mind any direction you wanted to go?
The nearest places worth stopping are all 30+/- miles from the Zoo.
How long do you plan to camp? (Is this just to sleep the kids after you wore then out at the Zoo?)

Give me some clues and I bet we can zero in on what would be good.

Matt - Your SE Mich native guide.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

Don't know what direction you are coming from to going to but here are some suggestions off of I96. Camp Dearborn in Milford, Brighton State Park in Brighton, KOA and the State Park in Port Huron, Oakland County Parks all North of I96,
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
were coming up i 75 south . the 2 kids don't need much country girls. camping 2 nights like to be by water.were in a class c so elec would b nice if to hot.fire pit so we can make somores but made them in bbq before.will be checking out what was suggested thanks.
save travles bob,linda & missy
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

From what you are saying, I would suggest that you looking into Sterling State Park Sterling State Park Detail
While the RV park is little more than a parking lot that has some FHU sites, many have fire rings and picnic tables. The rest of the sites have electric only (30A). There is water and dump at the park entrance road. There is also a swimming beach on Lake Erie and kids play areas (closer to the day-park area). You will have to bring or buy firewood for smores. I suggest you look over the pit before you build a fire, I have found some where plastics were burned. Few sites are actually water front.

Small problem, it is 50 miles (south) from the Zoo.

Camp Dearborn is closer at 30 miles and is a very nice place, but it is 30 miles the wrong way. There is a nice beach and play area not far from the FHU sites.
Two Problems:
1 - If Missy is a pet, no pets allowed.....
2 - I do not recall fire rings. They may have, but I don't remember.

Detroit Greenfield is 40 miles out I-94. It used to be a KOA, but no longer. OK for kids, but not much water.

There is also an RV resort place real close to Monroe, but those are places we avoid.

Safe Travel

Matt
Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for replay.sounds like nice parks but your right wrong way. i allways wounder if people thought missy was are pet. shes are daughter were the 3 amigoes
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you care to boondock there is a Meijer's store at 12 mile and Telegraph with lots of parking. Not sure where the nearest Wally-World is. (I go to Livonia for a Wally-World)

Some area churches too. If you belong they may let you stay in their lot.

As I said, I belong to the Moose, and the Taylor lodge had 30 amps for 13/night. But only for Moose members.. Membership does have it's benefits.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
we stayed at oakland county park nice park.grandbabbys love the zoo