Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
CG near La Porte, Texas

I have to be in La Porte next week for meetings.

I am looking for recommendations on CG in the area. I checked out Good Sam and Woodalls, found a few within 20 miles of the office. Just thought I would see if I could get a recommendation from someone who actually stayed in the area.

The ones I found are listed below, certainly not married to any of these, love to hear your suggestions:
Houston Leisure RV Resort, Highlands, TX
San Jacinto Riverfront RV, Highlands, TX
Lakeview RV Resort, Houston, TX
Marina Bay RV Resort, Kemah, TX

My needs are:
1) Clean
2) Full hook ups
3) 50 Amp preferably, 30 will work
4) Wifi would be a plus but I can use my Verizon 5 Spot if necessary.
5) Pull through would be nice but not necessary, 40' Class A
6) Site big enough for rig and rental car

Appreciate any suggestion you can offer.

Thanks
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have personal experience with any of those cg's. If you haven't looked yet, check RV Park Reviews and see how they rate. I will offer this advice, stay as close as possible because rush hour(s) traffic can be a bear. The Fred Hartman Bridge that connects Baytown and LaPorte can be heavy traffic during plant shift change times also.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

sdennislee--the San Jacinto Riverfront RV park in Highlands is an excellent CG. It's new, very well kept, and a great location overlooking the river. 50 AMP is available and each site is paved with a side spot for your toad. I believe all sites are pull-thru. You might check their website if you haven't already done so. All the sites are nice, but the closer to the river, the more they cost.

The Houston Leisure RV resort at Highlands is an older CG with a lot of full timers and trees. I haven't been into that CG in several years, as we much prefer the newer San Jacinto River CG.

Highlands is a small community and there's not a lot of traffic (nor anything else, lol). If you want nice restaurants and other activities, you would probably enjoy the Kemah location though I have no first-hand knowledge of that CG. It's an easy drive from Highlands to LaPorte.

ETA: Here's a link to the San Jac Park website... http://www.sjriverfrontrvresort.com/
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good morning,

I can only speak about Lakeview and Marina Bay, both are very nice parks with nice ammenities, clean and very nice people.

Marina Bay is close to Galveston (20 minutes) and the board walk in Kehmeh (lots of eating places). If you stay there, try OPUS, it's across the street and a lot of locals dine there and is chef owned. The only downside to Marina Bay is the pads are very close together, literally you can't put your awing out if your neighbor has their slide out.

Lakeview is spread out and has nice size pads and I feel more "big rig" friendly. They located just south of Reliant Stadium and there is good access to Freeways, 610 and the Beltway (toll road).

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis,
I don't know about those reported on already. Guess I'll have to take a ride up there so I can have a visual on them.

I will say that Green Caye in Dickinson, TX is a nice place to stay. I recommend it to all visiting in this area. A friend tried it once a few years ago and stayed there every year thereafter until medical conditions prevented them from traveling. It is 15.8 miles from downtown La Porte, TX. I have traveled that road many a time and even during rush hour the traffic is better than coming in from Baytown. The City of Seabrook has about 5 traffic lights. The 16 mile drive will take you about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. .

Green Caye is close to Galveston, Houston Space Center, Downtown Houston, and most importantly you will be only 10 miles from us. Lunch or Dinner would be great while you are in town. I can put up with a Swabby once in a while.

Semper Fi!

p.s., as you will see on their web site, $140 a week for 30A, and $160 a week for 50A. All services included in that price. Every site has a garbage pail, so no trips to the dumpster. Gated community/RV park.

We have great Mexican food here in Texas City.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

I just spent the month of Oct at Lakeview and it is a fantastic very new park with great managers. A little expensive but what isn't these days, especially in a big city. It is VERY full most of the time with folks going to the nearby medical center so be sure to lock in reservations.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Dennis,
I don't know about those reported on already. Guess I'll have to take a ride up there so I can have a visual on them.

I will say that Green Caye in Dickinson, TX is a nice place to stay. I recommend it to all visiting in this area. A friend tried it once a few years ago and stayed there every year thereafter until medical conditions prevented them from traveling. It is 15.8 miles from downtown La Porte, TX. I have traveled that road many a time and even during rush hour the traffic is better than coming in from Baytown. The City of Seabrook has about 5 traffic lights. The 16 mile drive will take you about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. .

Green Caye is close to Galveston, Houston Space Center, Downtown Houston, and most importantly you will be only 10 miles from us. Lunch or Dinner would be great while you are in town. I can put up with a Swabby once in a while.

Semper Fi!

p.s., as you will see on their web site, $140 a week for 30A, and $160 a week for 50A. All services included in that price. Every site has a garbage pail, so no trips to the dumpster. Gated community/RV park.

We have great Mexican food here in Texas City.
Wayne, I may just take you up on dinner as long as it's not C-RATS or SOS
Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at Marina Bay in Kemah a couple of Weeks ago. This is a first class park with nice facilities. The pads are close together but the park was not very crowded on the weekend that we were there. We had no one next to us on either side.
The park is literally walking distance (4 Blocks or less) to Ihop, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target 4 or 5 other restaurants. I think we paid $40 for a 70 foot pull through per night on the weekend.

Galveston Bay and Kemah Boardwalk are less than a mile away with dozens of restaurants and entertainment venues.

Laporte is less than 10 minutes away.

Dennis Baker
2004 40 FT DSDP, Toyoty 4Runner toad
DennisBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

eateries

Be sure to make Bubbas Shrimp Palace and the Top Water Grill. Both have fantastic fried shrimp & both in San Leon a short drive from Kemah.
The board walk is a nice place to visit. Good food however it comes with a price also for all the surroundings. I would definately go there once. If you are just hungry for fried shrimp and oysters make the other two places I mentioned. You get plenty of food and they are much easier on the wallet. ENJOY!
bd2dabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis,
If it is my wife's SOS, you will be back for more. Oh! And down here we call it "sausage gravy and biscuits."

Whatever place you stay it will be within driving distance for us. Looking forward to meeting you (maybe)! (lol)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you to everyone who responded. I ended up at Green Caye as suggested by Wayne. As it turns out our meeting moved to League City, making Green Caye very close.

Wayne, I'll send you a message when I get to town and have my schedule. Let's have dinner one night.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You got it!

Can't wait....err....errr....never mind.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bring a credit card or a big sack of money, I've seen Wayne graze.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm on a diet, a "seefood" diet.

Tags
texas