Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #15

Scott, I would think gravel parking areas with concrete pads would be fine. Keeps the stones out of the RV. And your cost down.

Another option would be to have 2 concrete runways for the tires, and then the concrete pad under the awning area. Grass in between (or gravel).

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #16

For my money the setback of the pedestal is a function of the length of the pad. The shorter the pad the further the setback. If you have a 70' pad I would not need a 4' setback. But then I only drive a 32' MH

Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I incorporate all the suggestions, I think I can still keep the price down to $142/night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, we forgot the most important suggestion. FREE camping for irv2 members.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to disagree on the no trees over the site. Being from Texas, where it is hot in the summer, I like a shaded site and avoid the places that are paved lots with little strips of grass.

I do like at least a level gravel site with a gravel or concrete patio and a picnic table. I can do with out the fire ring. I like the sites to be more spacious and the campground to have strictly enforced pet pick up rules. A play area that is away from the adult areas.

Make sure you have roads and access to the sites suitable for the RV's and a place to park your tow vehicle at the site.

Ken
Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #19

There have been a lot of good suggestions put forth. My two cents...
--an additional electrical outlet 15 or 20 amp in addition to the 30/50 rv plug in.

--Screening between sites is a must. There is nothing worse than having to stare @ your neighbor's sewer hose all week.

--An on site trash receptical or one shared by a few sights that is fairly close-by.

--Cable

--A good sign post with a large site number badge

--Have the site be nice and level, wether it is paved, gravel or grass.

--Keep the water/electric/sewer services all in close proximity.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
Question: if you have a concrete pad for a picnic table and sitting, do you care what the rig sits on, as long as it is level?

Queston 2: what is the preferred set back of the pedestal from the pad? I'm thinking 4' should clear any slideouts but, would 3' work? The closer the pedestal the less it infringes on the site behind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Answer #1: Nope, as long as it's level & doesn't turn to mud when it rains.

Answer #2: Having compartments that come out with our slides, 4ft works best for us. We've been in plenty of CG's where, yes, our slides cleared the post but we couldn't get in a bay because the door hit the post.

You've gotten lots of great suggestions. Do your best & you will satisfy the vast majority of your customers.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
G'Morning Scott: Been following this thread and it's absolutely great...you're a smart man. What a learning experience for all of us. Sure hope you follow through and once ya have the ideal site designed and installed with access roads, cable, elec, water, sewer, lighting, etc. etc., PLEASE (if you can) let us know what the "Per Site" cost was..o.k.? Include engineer costs, heavy equipment cost/rent, fill grading and concrete costs, permits, etc. I'm not trying to be clever, but THIS is really good stuff and an excellant way for us RV'rs to learn about and to appreciate the details of this "campground issue" from a campground owner's perspective, and what better way than to participate, even a little, by making suggestions. Thanks. Steve
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #22

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Scott, with the side opening storage doors 4' is a must. As mentioned earlier drainage. I don't know how frequennt your guests have dogs, but a good sized doggy play area is a benefit.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I'm happy to share all information now.

Sites will cost between $9 and $11k each, 24 - 30 sites are in the first phase. (Gary's and Dirk's private sites w/hot tubs will be about $25k )

After adding cost of capital and operating costs, payback should be sometime near the end of year 3. However, they will be cash flow positive in year 1. Unless we stop selling out and they cannibalize the older sites.

Hope this isn't too much info.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:

Queston 2: what is the preferred set back of the pedestal from the pad? I'm thinking 4' should clear any slideouts but, would 3' work? The closer the pedestal the less it infringes on the site behind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 8.5 feet wide with a 32" driver's side storemore slide. My compartments go out with this slide. I need another 32" for the compartment door swing. Thus, I need 104" for the coach, 32" for the slide and 32" for the door swing for a total of 14 feet from the cement patio. If no concrete patio pad width is less of a problem.

The water connection in this photo does not allow me to open the rear compartment in my slide. I can't move over because I would be on the concrete patio.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Scott: Thanks for sharing that financial info. My gosh, $10K/site plus financing and operating. Wow. First of all...ya sure $25K a piece for Dirk and Gary's sites will cover it?? Second, ya lost me re: last comment about selling out and cannabalizing older sites. What was that about?? Thanks. Steve
Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Cannibalizing means that the new sites aren't rented but, rather customers move from 1 type of site to another. This means the incremental revenue from building that site is less.

In this case, it would be cheaper to renovate a site vs. build a new one, given you (campground owner) aren't filling the ones you have.

When sold out and you build extra sites, and then you still sell out, that is incremental revenue. Currently we sell out every weekend in the summer, Memorial Day and Columbus Day. We sell out our full hookups on a few other weekends. In this case, it makes sense to build new sites vs. renovate.

We will also renovate old sites as we build the new ones.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Scott: Thanks, I think I understand. (I knew I shoulda paid more attention in those college Econ classes!!!!). So....anyway....I'm a little lost here. Now your customers (us RV'rs) need to be prepared to pay enough site rental fee to: a.)pay park owner's costs including finance cost, operating cost; b.)cover costs for electricity, water, sewage, park lighting, etc.; and c.)provide owner(s) with a reasonable income for the pleasure of running such a campground. How does an owner go about establishing the fee charged to the RV'r? I mean what detailed factors go into determining that fee? The fee amt. paid by the RV'r who rolls in for a night or two or 7 or 30, must cover the campground owner's finance costs, operating costs, reserves for rplcmnt. costs, etc. etc. ... Shouldn't one be able to sort of "pie chart" the nightly fee to show what each portion of that nightly fee is assigned (percentage wise) to cover each cost segment??? Not only would this info give us readers a clear understanding of what campground owners need to face (cover), but would also help RV'rs know what services they might want, or could go without, depending on if they're simply overnighting (the ol Walmart boondock vs. support your local campground owner issue)...AND...it might help owners determine whether they might offer a simple overnight/no frills fee for some of there open site areas, gravel lots, parking lots or some less developed sq. footage...eh? It could also lead to owners developing a parking ala carte menu of services for everyone of the customers from those who simply want to stop and sleep, to those who are a little hungrier for other items on the menu. I guess I'm suggesting that the campground owners/developers who plan their parks to offer THESE kind alternatively priced service options for the traveling RV'rs to the long stay RV'rs. I think would soon become known as the "GO TO" PARK in the RV community. In fact the owners/developers would likely end up developing a nationwide franchise of such parks and BOY would us consumers ever gravitate to such places. .... ya think? Enough!!! Steve
Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a lot to add to the outstanding suggestions you've already received, but I just wanted to add my "THANKS FOR ASKING!"

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote