Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #15

I would love to have a stop-over site for say $10-$15/night with 50amp electric only necessary. It will cost me at least that to stay at a Wal-mart and run my generator for a few hours at night and again in the AM.
In after 5pm and out by 9am is what I would like to see.
Another thing you will want to look into is the ability to provide an internet connection to your campers. More and more people today want to be able to connect to the internet and these will come to a campground with "good" wifi. You can't use dial up or satellite for the internet and you can't tell them to go to the laundry room, they want wifi in the coach and a reasonably fast connection. Depending upon your location this might be cost prohibitive but it's certainly something you want to put on the top of your do-to list.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #16

We have good WIFI right now and am adding a repeater this weekend to help because we are so full and the campers seem to block the main signal from the office a bit

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
I guess nothing would convince people to in a large fully equiped unit to skip Wam Mart and pay to stay with us unless they needed to dump or add water even our bathroom showers are smaller than most units.
We do alot of WalMart overnight parking, however if your campground is close to our route with reasonable rates, I think you would be surprised how many people would rather stay stay at your place. This also depends alot on the weather. If I am going to need air conditioning overnight, it will cost me around $15 in diesel to run the generator all night. I would happily pay another $5 to be in a campground and plug in and have a nicer place to look at with the morning coffee before leaving.

As for your 24hr pay options, look into Intuit GoPayment. It takes about 24 hours to set up a merchant account to accept credit cards. You could leave forms at the pay slot to enter your card information, and then you go online or use the android or apple app to enter the info later to charge the card.

Advertisement (billboard, etc) is the key - as if you want me to stay at your campground instead of the WalMart, you have to make sure I know you are there before I get to the WalMart! I highly recommend you make a billboard seen from the highway before travelers get to the WalMart exit a high priority on your budget.
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #18

I won't say out restrooms were bad but they were 1960's fixtures with choclate brown walls floors and stalls. IT WAS DARK!! but no more everything got painted white the womens room floor was in good condition so just another coat of light green paint for now. The mens room got a tile floor both have a start on new lighting.So the womens room is now yellow and white and the mens orange and white. Not real happy with the orange but it's better than brown. The tile for the womens room has been bought but we may tear out the showers and rebuild them with more room before we tile.

The place has over 100 spots and to do NICE things hasn't worked out too well. If it can be stolen it will be

I actually work for a company that makes comercial laundry equipment and for the cost I just buy used stuff and let be used for free. The payback time is not really worth it. there's 2 laundry places within a mile and one is actually a test place for our equipment so it is always in great shape.

So far so good I think

mike
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
We have a SPGA tournament next spring and someone said I can rent temporary power hookups. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Mike
I assume the temp power hookups would be industrial generators or power packs. We use them in the winter to keep our equipment plugged into here on the North Slope of Alaska. We use 2 different styles, 1) diesel powered, very loud and 2) Power packs hooked in to our electrical service lines, no noise.
These are the guys we use at our lower 48 offices for temp power Rental Power | Generators - Temporary and Emergency Power | Aggreko
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
A camper in a tent will have different requirements than one in a fold down or a 45 ft Diesel Pusher. If I am traveling in the fold down with a young family the condition of the bathrooms and a swing set or swimming pool will take on a different perspective than a retired couple in a fully self contained Diesel pusher. There are many Travelers now in those big motor homes and it seems to me we all are wanting more and more for less.
Give me a level site that I can pull into without the need to unhook my toad, have 50A power that will not fry my cord because it is providing only 100V or something like that. Have a hook up for water that isn't rusty and tasting like yuck. Have that level spot solid so my jacks don't disappear into the ground, or the thing is full of standing water and you are way ahead of the game. Make sure the trees are trimmed back so the branches are not scraping my full body paint or dropping all the dead branches on the caoch all night. Allow the guy that has decided to stay the full season and unpack half his belongings and store them under his junky unit and I will be really impressed! Charge me for every person that wants to stop by and say hello an extra $5 per and I will consider something else!
Have a picnic table at each site is nice as well. I enjoy sitting outside in the evening after a day on the road without the need to unpack my little table etc. Fire ring, not needed, I am not really camping, Iv'e got all the luxury I need inside and at the table, the fire is not really needed and I probably don't have any fire wood anyway.
Having a little info about what I may find nearby or the ability to give me a hint about the best place to fuel up in the morning, and yo have a repeat customer.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, larger shower stalls with more than "ONE" hook....Also,a nice small higher shelf with a lip in the shower stall changing area of the stall to put glasses, flashlight, bottle caps or what ever. Only having one hook is a circus act in keeping everything dry and off the wet floor. Three would be good.

A nice shower-head that gives off enough water. It's a nice way to end a day with a shower that leaves you refreshed.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
For an overnight stay, I would much rather stay at your campground (within 2 miles of WM) because it would be a campground and not a store parking lot. I really appreciate that Walmart allows us to use their lots, but if you were that close and would let me stay there for say $10-15 for no hookups and out early, I'd go by Walmart in a heartbeat! JMHO
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
If you allow truckers, i think rvers in general will not want to stay there.
Whole reason for WallyWorld's popularity is so us RV'ers can get the crap away from durned noisy/smelly trucks ! Otherwise a 4 hour sleep at the Rest Area would be just the ticket. Amazing how crude and callous a trucker can be, darn if they wont go outta their way to pullin right next to ya, leave the engine idle, run the refer generator, or have the cows/pigs/ other unfortunate critters do their smelly right next to ya and then just as ya get back to sleep fireup and drive off... grrrrrrrrr !

Thought about doing exactly what you are doing in Paducah, Ky years ago, lil RV Park right off exit #3 on I-24. Glad DW put the brakes on that run-away nightmare !!!

Keep us up to date on your progress, and WELCOME !
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTJ5 View Post
For an overnight stay, I would much rather stay at your campground (within 2 miles of WM) because it would be a campground and not a store parking lot. I really appreciate that Walmart allows us to use their lots, but if you were that close and would let me stay there for say $10-15 for no hookups and out early, I'd go by Walmart in a heartbeat! JMHO
Ditto
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
Whole reason for WallyWorld's popularity is so us RV'ers can get the crap away from durned noisy/smelly trucks ! Otherwise a 4 hour sleep at the Rest Area would be just the ticket. Amazing how crude and callous a trucker can be, darn if they wont go outta their way to pullin right next to ya, leave the engine idle, run the refer generator, or have the cows/pigs/ other unfortunate critters do their smelly right next to ya and then just as ya get back to sleep fireup and drive off... grrrrrrrrr !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Ditto

Yikes!!!!

Times Two!!!

So much for "sharing the road"...

Francesca
Old 09-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Yikes!!!!

Times Two!!!

So much for "sharing the road"...

Francesca
Francesca why are you associating me with MegaRoadie's post? I ditto'd JeepTJ5 post that I would rather stay at a quiet campground vs. a parking lot. I do gladly share the road with others just like it quiet when I sleep. If needed for safety reasons, too tired to drive I would use a parking lot. But if I can free of noise and lights for a few bucks and a couple mile drive sounds good to me. I fail to see how that makes me a bad person deserving your "Yikes So much for "sharing the road"... comment" To each his own, so much for trying to understand another persons view point.

When necessary I will sleep at a rest area and have no problem with the truckers. I understand their equipment needs to run.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Francesca why are you associating me with MegaRoadie's post? I ditto'd JeepTJ5 post that I would rather stay at a quiet campground vs. a parking lot. I do gladly share the road with others just like it quiet when I sleep. If needed for safety reasons, too tired to drive I would use a parking lot. But if I can free of noise and lights for a few bucks and a couple mile drive sounds good to me. I fail to see how that makes me a bad person deserving your "Yikes So much for "sharing the road"... comment" To each his own, so much for trying to understand another persons view point.

When necessary I will sleep at a rest area and have no problem with the truckers. I understand their equipment needs to run.

I TOTALLY BLEW IT!
I picked up the Wrong Quote!
I knew there were two, and mistook your "ditto" for the first...

Here's the post I meant to include:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
If you allow truckers, i think rvers in general will not want to stay there.

I'm really sorry, Dennis...

Francesca
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #28

Well anyway no trucks because we don't have the room anyway. Were 2 miles from the same exit Wal Mart is .7 miles from. Working with the state on signage has been less than wonderful. Getting the electrical materal list together ans should be up and running by spring