Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #29

I have been reading over JavaJelly's post and feel the need to address some of his statements. The first one being
"DISCOUNT CLUBS: If a campground accepts one of those 50% clubs or Good Sam, they generally need the business and probably aren't that desirable. Especially if they apply in season. Also, those clubs generally only require that you allocate certain sites for the club members. You can bet that the best sites don't get allocated. You can also bet that you are treated differently. (FYI, we don't accept any but, I have many acquaintences that do)"
Giant sucking sound. That statement is just incorrect. RV'ers who move around a lot can save $2-5 a night with GoodSam. I have never been to a camp that assigned sites according to group affiliation. (exempting PassPort America). We assign sites according to length and if they have a dog. If they have a dog, we put them as close to the pet runs as possible. Though it doesn't help because many still don't pick up after their pets.
Personally, we do not agree with TR's rating system and perhaps you are correct about their advertising policy. $1600 a year is a lot of money just to be listed in their mag. And get the stars. When our GS rate is $16.. We have been to Sam's camps that made us wonder how they kept their good rating.
We do not allow drive throughs (stop and ask first) for the security of our guests who are away from their rv's site seeing. This makes snoopy people mad and they drive through our "do not enter without permission" barriers anyway. I have to chase them down, most won't stop. Then they are mad at me for stopping them and say it is rude to stop them.
JavaJelly makes a lot of good points and the customer has a right to expect what they pay for. I guess it is reasonable to expect a $20. site. Run 2 airs under 2 shady trees and do your laundry, wash and dry all on that 50amp service. While surfing the net on your free wi-fi.. With Walmart 9 miles away.
To add. The majority of RV'ers and good people and the 2% of bad ones we get seem to be the ones we remember most. To make that point, we have taken personal checks without ID for 14 years from campers and have only had 2 bad checks. One from a guy we knew and another from a construction worker. Makes me smile to think about it. RV'ers are good people.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with GaryKD's original post and can agree with most of JavaJelly's evaluation. However, I have stayed with some Good Sam & Passport America discounts that I know are the same sites that you get without the discount. I had stayed in them before without the discounts.

I have learned to take the ratings in TL and Wooddall's (as suggested by JaveJelly) with a large grain of salt. I've stayed in and checked out others that have very high ratings in one or both and found in real life that calling them a dump would be an upgrade. Our biggest complaints: untrimmed trees - DW goes bananas when any kind of a limb hits the coach!! We've wondered if our "chainsaw on a stick" would get management's attention. I don't want to have to repaint my rig because the campground is to cheap or lazy to trim the trees. Pot holes that you lose the toad in. No excuse. Right along with that - speed bumps. They know which of the extended stays are "driving like a bat out of [a hot spot], throw them out of the park - enforce the rules! Don't rock and tear up my rig. Provide what you advertise, or just tell me the truth up front. In some cases I'd rather stay at Wally World. At least there I can buy beer, and chips, and peanuts, and saltines, and cheese, and ...

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 AM   #31

Scott, thanks for the comments. The next time I go to Niagara Falls I'm going to plan on visiting your park. I do like Jellystone and your park sounds great. The scenery in your state is fantastic so it is worth the trip just to relax. Until last year I had not visited your area but I will definately be back.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #32

I have stayed at Scotts park and enjoyed it for the 2 nights we were there.Its got everything a resort type park should have.Well worth the money for our 3 kids and my wife.You wont be sorry.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #33

We keep out trees trimmed at 14'. that doesn't stop the campers from breaking limbs off the schrubs if they happen to want their picnic table in that spot.
Anyway, we are one of the camps that have speed bumps. They don't work.. After the RV gets over the bump they floor it and race on. We finally had to put in two. One before the registration area and one after. It is not the residents here that are the problem. It is the RV'ers coming in off the freeway. Attitude is the answer. I find that the people who speed will do so even if you ask them not to.
On the pavement in big letters it says Slow 5 MPH. another large sign says "slow 5" then the speed bump. We have had people drive in so fast they loose stuff out of the back of their PU's.
Personally, I hate the speed bumps because I register the campers and they are all mad at me because of them. Please go to the main office to complain.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #34

rvqueen55, regrettably very few folks consider what is required to successfully own/operate a RV park, nor do most care it seems. They want everything their way for a bargain price.
About 10 years ago, we stopped at a small RV park on I65 just South of Bowling Green,KY. The owner, an older man, began telling me how his wife died the previous year and he could not keep the park up as he had in past years. He explained that he and his wife hadn't took a vacation since they purchased the park 7 years earlier. He then asked if I wanted to buy his RV park for a bargain. After listening to his conversation I respectfully declined. Life is way too short to spend my "golden years" tied down 24/7 to a RV park.
I always try to be the most courteous, thoughtful guest any RV park owner has ever hosted, whether it is a high-end resort or a run-down, trying to make ends meet park. I guess I was born way too early to be in the ME generation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They want everything their way for a bargain price. ... I always try to be the most courteous, thoughtful guest any RV park owner has ever hosted, whether it is a high-end resort or a run-down, trying to make ends meet park. I guess I was born way too early to be in the ME generation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, like everyone else on this forum, have worked long and hard for what I have. Likewise, I want to get the best value for my dollars. I'm also part of the yes sir, no sir, please & thank you generation. I see no reason why we should not be able to stay at a campground, regardless of price, without damaging our rigs entering, leaving or because of malfunctioning park equipment (electrical posts, etc). The Trav-L-Park that I eluded to in my previous post, told me which trees on the entry drive needed to be trimmed when I mentioned on check in that there were trees needing trimming. They are the ones who told me it was the long term residents that were the cause of the speed bumps. They knew exactly who the people were that have been causing the problem but apparently have chosen not to do anything (other than to put in speed bumps) about it. They did fail to mention the big pot hole in the exit drive next to the street. Neither DW or I saw that one and it gave us a big surprise. This campground has a 5/4 diamond rating from Woodall's and a 8.5/10/8 rating from TL. It's ad (in Woodall's states they were named "Campground of the Year" in 2004 by TN ARVC. It's a Good Sam Park and advertises "Big Rigs Welcome." Were my expectations to high to expect to park there without damage or having to dodge the pitfalls previously mentioned? You be the judge.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amen, perhaps if we were all a little more poloite to others this woulod be a better world. Same here for the ME generation.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #37

No Jim your expectations were not too high. The CG ratings are way too high though. Affinity Group owns Good Sam and Woodall's, so it is reasonable if one over-rates a CG the other will also. If they rate a CG low, they will likely lose next years add business; for that money inspector's may be instructed to fudge the numbers some.
Did that CG's shortcomings impress you enough to enter your opinion in the CG reviews section?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did that CG's shortcomings impress you enough to enter your opinion in the CG reviews section? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's on my "to do" list. My hard drive died the first of the month and I'll still trying to get caught up getting everything on the new one. I'll post it here and on RV Park Reviews. I generally try to check them before I book anyplace.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
rvqueen55, regrettably very few folks consider what is required to successfully own/operate a RV park, nor do most care it seems. They want everything their way for a bargain price.
About 10 years ago, we stopped at a small RV park on I65 just South of Bowling Green,KY. The owner, an older man, began telling me how his wife died the previous year and he could not keep the park up as he had in past years. He explained that he and his wife hadn't took a vacation since they purchased the park 7 years earlier. He then asked if I wanted to buy his RV park for a bargain. After listening to his conversation I respectfully declined. Life is way too short to spend my "golden years" tied down 24/7 to a RV park.
I always try to be the most courteous, thoughtful guest any RV park owner has ever hosted, whether it is a high-end resort or a run-down, trying to make ends meet park. I guess I was born way too early to be in the ME generation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I have said in other posts, most RV'ers are the best behaved and most honost people around.
Few have an entitlement attitude. I stay in this business just because of the good people who return to our camp over and over and the new people I meet every day. We have made some good friends over the years.
I have noticed through the years, it has become harder for me to tolerate the ones who don't stop at the do not enter signs and choose to ignore the other rules. I got a scathing review on another site from a guy who failed to stop at the gate and I ran behind his car waving my arms trying to get him to stop. Finally I caught him in the "out" road and had to step in front of his car to get him to stop. He said I was the rudest person he had ever seen. They were not campers here and just thought he could breech out security to take a look around.
I think someone should write a book. (not me)about all the funny things that happen in campgrounds.
You could be right and maybe I am getting to old to do this and need to retire. Just need to find a buyer..
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello--
I'm not an owner but a hard working Workamper who's in his 4 year at the same RV park in Maine.

I did a lot of traveling in my pre-retirement days as a charter and corporate pilot and I found hotels/motels that didn't have functioning Wi-Fi or adaquet hot water, marginal TV or poor parking parking facilities- especially if you get in after 10 or 11 PM. Some problems are not limited to RV travelers.

Our RV Park requires 50% deposit at the time of booking. It is non-refundable. As Scott Crompton points out the season in the north country is short- Its not fair to call the day of your arrival and cancel when we turn so many down, for that spot, and expect a refund. We always tell folks of the no-refund policy but yet we get cancels and the other spouse/companion said he was never told of it. The kids didn't get out of school here in Maine until June 18th (because of "snow days"). Because of the current fuel prices and limited folks traveling, it appears this season will be below average. We have seen an increase in European and Canadian guests, I presume because of the weak dollar. These folks are usually "off the road" and have not made prior arrangments for sites.

Our campground is a more primitive facility that the owner constantly improves. We are unable to provide 6 ft clearance on either side of the property road because of "ledge"-- granite boulders. We trim trees frequently for adequate coach clearance. We advise all callers that we don't have pull thru's, we won't accept over 40 ft in length, and then only in a few spots for 40 ft'ers. We only take cash on arrival to pay the remaining balance of the reservation. We do not accept credit cards. Most sites are close to level and have crushed stone for the rigs to park on.

What we do have is a spectular view of the harbor/ocean, fresh lobsters cooked by us for our guests in the evenings and a quaint beautiful town. The owner "fishes" (traps) for lobsters twice a week and keeps them fresh in an ocean holding pen. They are brought up just prior to cooking.

I appreciate Scott's candid discussion of the RV park owners side of the story. This man knows what's going on are we are fortunate to have him as our expert on park ownership. If a small park can't make a reasonable profit for it's sites to support a 3 month season then, sad to say, we won't have these great facilities available to us in the future.

There are many RV parks that don't rate high scores, by camping directories, because of some of the reasons stated in my and others comments in this thread.

Thanks Scott and RVQueen55- great job on your answers,
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Hello all. Very busy this time of year but, happened to see this thread get revived from February. Thank you for the kind words again. I sincerely was hoping to help my fellow RVers than provide a lecture. Thanks to rvqueen55 for challenging some of my points.

A couple of clarifications:
I read my original post again and realized that I had grouped Good Sam with Passport America or Campclub America etc. This was a mistake. As rvqueen55 points out, Good Sam is generally a small discount off a night's camping. Also, there is no allocation of sites as in other clubs and/or online booking services.

Sorry about that as it was confusing.

FYI, there is another Good Sam program from the Campground Owner side that is very expensive. It is what qualifies a park as a Good Sam Park. This is different than accepting Good Sam. I won't bother you with the details but, you must have certain facility attributes and spend a ton of money w/Trailer Life. (the judgement on the attributes seems to ease w/the amount of money you spend).

Also, as rvqueen55 points out, almost all campers are great people. It's what makes the job engaging. I can see where my post looks like I'm all business.

I have many stories where, either we screwed up or there were problems w/a site and the campers couldn't have been nicer. Even if we couldn't fix the problem. Or, their willingness to help us or other campers out in a jam.

The hardest thing is not letting the 1% "bad" customers skew you against the 99% great people.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote