Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

CG Reservation ?'s

Newbies here. I apoligize if this is the incorrect thread. Seemed closest topic.
How far in advance can reservations be made? Does this vary?
For example: when can a reservation be made for Jan 2018.
Are 1 month stays for 1st of month to end of month or can they be, say, Jan 7 to Feb 7?
Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide us.
ShinySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
Newbies here. I apoligize if this is the incorrect thread. Seemed closest topic.
How far in advance can reservations be made? Does this vary?
For example: when can a reservation be made for Jan 2018.
Are 1 month stays for 1st of month to end of month or can they be, say, Jan 7 to Feb 7?
Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide us.
It depends on the campground. Some, a few, are first come, first served, others will reserve up to a year in advance. They will take reservations usually anyway you want, except during holiday weekends, then usually they want a 3 day reservation. Best to just call and ask their policy.
FWIW i seldom make reservations except for our destination campground. It's too easy for things to go wrong and not get there and lose the reservation fee.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #3

Every park is different. You just need to inquire at the park. Personally, we don't make reservations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #4

Thank you both for your helpfulness! That helps a lot.
As newbies, with a 38' 5er, we want reservations for destination CG so we are certain to have a long enough site and are in the CG's we want to be at. We also do not want to be in a giant resort type place, like Mesa. We'd like some facilities but not a zillion people. Our plan is to stay a month at a time, explore an area then move on to another area. Happy travels!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

We like to have reservations too, but we travel during the summer/peak season so they are usually a necessity for us. Usually a year in advance is as far out as most take, but many state/public parks are 6 months. As the others have said, have to call or search online to know for sure.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I make reservations, feel better having them. Occasionally lose a reservation fee, I look at it as insurance and pretty cheap insurance at that.
Regarding monthly reservations...If you are going to a resort area (like Palm Springs) they usually do want to rent from the first to the first as it avoids unrented space. As far as how for in advance you can reserve, it really varies all over the place.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

It depends on where you go. Fort Wilderness during the Halloween season needs at least a year in advance but others will tell you you don't need a reservation. I recently found it impossible to get a reservation in the North Carolina Mountains at the more popular places but then I found what looks like a good one with lots of spaces available. Hmm. Then I read their refund policy. Basically its pay for your entire stay in advance and you won't get it back if you can't make it. I booked it because its only 10 days away and I will be going. I kind of liked traveling across country without reservations. It seemed spontaneous to me but my wife hated it. WE now make reservations.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Thank you all so much for sharing your comments with me.
You are right about the varying between parks. I called a few and got everything from no reservations w/ 1st come 1st serve and "oh, as far out as you want, honey, we've got some in 2018 already"!! All over the place indeed. LOL
Safe Travels........
Old 09-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #9

We are in the middle of a trip as I type this. We rarely make reservations ahead of time, but do sometimes make them on the fly or not. We frequently end up staying in some interesting and sometimes awesome places, but that's part of the fun of it.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #10

There are some places that we make reservations for as soon as the reservation window is open. Those are specifically military campgrounds in popular snowbird areas. Most of the time, if we are going to make a reservation, it is just a couple of days in advance. Sometimes, it just takes a call to see if a reservation is even needed. We are full timers though so our traveling habits are much different than those who are vacation camping.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #11

My wife and I are newbies to full timing and traveling, too. We have chosen to make reservations whenever possible. Our problem is we both work full time, so sometimes that means we call a place Thursday night wanting to get in for the weekend.

Rob