Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
On this site it states cancellation charge of 10% to process 'a return payment'. I read that as yes, they will refund.

From their site:
"Cancellations require 2 weeks notice for refund, less 10% administrative fee. Less than 2 weeks notice there is no refund, no swaps. "
We were within the two weeks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
90 to nothing they rented your spot to someone else within 24 hours and got double paid on your spot

Won't take that bet...you know they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Yes they will , provided you cancel 2weeks or more before the reservation . If not you , forfet the entire amount. Pretty clear on the "rates" page. Obviously it was a last minute cancelation.

It was a last minute emergency change. Slide would not opereat and needed to divert our trip to Goshen, IN.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I typically never make reservations but this year having to be in Mass for the first week of August to attend a family reunion and a class reunion (happy both were in the same week) we decided to make sure we were not delayed. Didn't happen because we had a slide that would not operate. We choose to divert our travel to Goshen, IN to get it fixed rather than glamp without a slide.

I do under4tane Bialee's policy and all the oth4r policies. Just thinking out loud that there are mitigating circumstances tht a CG suold take into account when enforcing those policies. I wonder if there had been a death in the family if they would have stuck to the strick policy. Hope I never find out.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I believe the policy is bad for the folks who actually plan to stay there and have a real reason for cancelling but on the flip side, I believe there are many folks who will go ahead and make reservations so they'll have a spot just in case they decide later to go and the campgrounds are figuring this out - I wonder if this is why some of the state parks are fully booked the day the reservations open.
Agreed.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I typically never make reservations but this year having to be in Mass for the first week of August to attend a family reunion and a class reunion (happy both were in the same week) we decided to make sure we were not delayed. Didn't happen because we had a slide that would not operate. We choose to divert our travel to Goshen, IN to get it fixed rather than glamp without a slide.

I do under4tane Bialee's policy and all the oth4r policies. Just thinking out loud that there are mitigating circumstances tht a CG suold take into account when enforcing those policies. I wonder if there had been a death in the family if they would have stuck to the strick policy. Hope I never find out.

While I agree there should be circumstances that they give in on, I think we may underestimate the severity of the cancelation problem. The campground owner I spoke with a few months ago was lamenting the large number of folks who book large amounts of time then cancel last minute. Always with the family problem or breakdown reason. His obvious belief was 90% or them were lying. So he instituted a hard line in the sand knowing some were legit , but he couldn’t tell and in order to remain profitable had to take the hard line. Years ago I Ran business and people would be surprised at the razor thin margin some businesses operate on .I would think RV parks are one of them.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #34

I don't know about the rest of the country but the reserve then cancel idea is prevalent in the NE. That is probably why you ran into the problem in New England. Given that those folks run up and down the east coast I would expect they screwed up folks all along the coast.

I'm not as sure as some that the space was filled. I know that states using Reserve America the site is locked and cannot be rented during the period it is paid for. I would assume that with a private campground that for a last minute cancellation most of the folks who got turned away already had other plans. A few folks might luck out but not as many as some folks seem to think.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have this problem at one of our very popular local state parks... People make reservations for every weekend, then cancel on Friday night if they decide not to go. They are refunded minus the $8 reservation fee..

In the mean time, those of us who want to reserve the spot once or twice a year can't. I check the reservations on Thursday night, the park is full for the weekend, When I drive through the park on Saturday, 1/4 of the spots are un-occupied..

I guarantee if the park implemented NO REFUNDs on weekends, this would stop.

NOTE - I always check the Refund policy before making reservations.. I want to know what to expect if I break down somewhere, or have a medical emergency and must cancel.

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #36

Michigan state parks have inplemented a tiered refund policy thats time based.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BillJinOr,
Yep! I understand the problem but there are solutions. One would be to not issue a refund until a receipt for repairs is submitted. Even then people could use friends and get a phony receipt but it would cut down some of the events.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #38

Call the campground and tell them you might be late, but since the site is paid for keep it reserved for me.
Advertise it on Craigslist for whatever you can get out of it.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Too many people are making reservations for different places then at the last days decide where they really want to go. Eating a 1 day deposit is nothing when you have a big buck RV. Then the CG sits with an empty spot in prime time with no chance to fill it. The entire months of July and August are full many places with many people booked in more than one place to give themselves vacation options at a little cost. But canceling 2 months in advance and loosing the entire stay cost is a little much.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
When booking I always ask what the cancellation policy is, then way that against the place. Not sure how one can complain if all is clear upfront.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #41

I would like to hear the Campground owners side..
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #42

It would be nice if a feature was added to an existing free online camping app or website where people could broker campsites where they have reservations and can't make the dates for whatever reason. The rule should be that no one could sell a reservation for more than its face value and maybe that would give people the ability to reserve without so much of a risk and give others who are desperately looking for a last minute spot a way to buy out someone's reserved time slot.
Don A. is offline   Reply With Quote