Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

try eg simmons county park located near ruskin. If i recall it is walkup only, no reservations, sites have power and water, park has a dump station. Lots of fishing and kayaking and just walking around to do there.

pro tip, do not make the mistake of thinking wow the weather is so nice i can open the windows and leave the noisy ac off. You will also not sit outside the rv after the sun sets..........why? no-see-ums there are thick a lot of the time and they do not see screens as an obstacle, does not slow them down. I learned the hard way. once I realized my mistake it was to late, I was overrun and closing the windows just trapped hundreds in the rv with us.

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #16

We also live in the tampa bay area. And enjoy the parks that are more secluded. Hillsborough river is nice. We actually just got back from Manatee Springs State Park today. We go one weekend a month to a different part. All within 2 to 3 hours away. Like you said it will be harder to find a weekend place with the snowbirds coming back. We were told the farther north you go the better the chance. We almost always go to state parks. Its inexpensive. Now back in march we were able to go to a place called frog creek in Palmetto. It's right off 275. We take our own kayaks everywhere we go. I will definitely be following this trend tho to see what others have to say

Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #17

Check out Franklin Locks COE campground. From where you're at about 2 1/2 hours not far off I-75. Nice,quiet campground,very clean.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #18

I'm glad I started this thread as you have all given great suggestions. I'm ready to check them all out but please keep them coming. Wanted to update as to where we went last weekend. Because we had to leave late on a Friday and because a couple options were booked up, we went to Hide-a-way RV resort in Ruskin. Very pleasant, and the full time owners there were very nice. About 2/3-3/4 full time people but plenty of space for weekenders like us. Got a pull through full hookup site near the water of the Little Manatee River. Nice for strolling, although wish we had a canoe/kayak. That said, the neighbors probably would have let us borrow theirs. Best part was that it was far enough away but not too far that it would be dark on a Friday night when we arrived. And, it was only $22/night with the PA discount. Well worth it to get away and would go back there. Now on to trying the many other suggestions.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #19

We've camped at Rock Crusher, close sites, nice hiking trails. We've only done a day visit to Rainbow River but appears to be a nicely kept campground. Our favorite campground is Ginnie Springs Outdoors, about 25 miles NW of Gainesville....6 miles outside of High Springs, FL. Ginnie Springs has lots of aquatic activities, you can rent canoes, kayaks, tubes, snorkeling and scuba gear.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #20
WDW

Jetty Park at Cocoa Beach:

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
We've camped at Rock Crusher, close sites, nice hiking trails. We've only done a day visit to Rainbow River but appears to be a nicely kept campground. Our favorite campground is Ginnie Springs Outdoors, about 25 miles NW of Gainesville....6 miles outside of High Springs, FL. Ginnie Springs has lots of aquatic activities, you can rent canoes, kayaks, tubes, snorkeling and scuba gear.
Ginnie Springs sounds good. Would also say that this Veteran's day we stayed at Rock Crusher for the weekend. Nice place and there was a "concert" within walking distance at the Rock Crusher amphitheater. Left concert early and by the time we got back, the music was hardly noticeable, so I didn't want to scare anybody off by it. Would have preferred a pull through, but still had nice spaces and good amenities.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #22

Spent some time at Suwannee River Rendezvous RV Resort out side of Mayo, FL. It is located close to the Suwannee River with the activities you want. The RV park has full hookups including 50amp., swimming pool, hot tub, restaurant on site and kayaking on the river. We enjoyed our stay. Some of the nicest managers we have met. It is a Passport America Park so it is very reasonable.($21.40/night). Straight up I-75 to Alachua then Hwy 27 west to RV park.