Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Charleston-Key West-Greenville, SC

In January wife and I are picking up 2 family members flying in to Greenville, SC from the snow country for a 2 week trip. Planning on 2 days James Island Charleston on to Savannah/Skidway Park overnite and to St. Augustine for a day. We'll then head to Key West. Looks like State Parks in Key's area will not be available so we'll stay at a Private RV park which I know will not be cheap. I'm not sure if we'll stay 5 days or that is too long. Looking at any must sees along the way and back. Looks like SP discounts kick in at 65 which I'm just short of, COE's would be a desired as we get 50% and would defray some on the costs at the Keys. I know there is a COE in Northern Florida area I believe that is along a river with Manatees that we'd like to visit at well. Anyway would appreciate any thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of our campers is a military wife, would she be able to camp a military rv parks?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We take short winter trips to Florida. I stay at the KOA closest to Key West (Sugarloaf Key I think) for short stays in the Keys (just because I can never get in Bahia Honda SP). Lots of nice State Parks near Sarasota (Gulf Side). Myakka River and Oscar Schere are two, but they fill up fast on the weekends. Reservations are a must.
P.S. Visit Bahia Honda SP even if you don’t stay there. Don’t take the RV into Key West – no parking and the streets are narrow. It is best to inquire about a bus schedule from the camp ground or take the toad and expect pay parking. James Island and St Augustine are good choices as well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #4

Try for Bluewater Key Resort Blue Water Key RV Resort A few miles north of Key West. Most of the other private "resort" campgrounds are parking lots with barely enough room to get your slides out. Check out RV Park Reviews if you want some heads up. RV Park Reviews :: Home
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure if her sponsor needs to be with her, but perhaps not. We just spent a week at NAS Key West FamCamp and it is a nice facility.

It requires stopping in at Boca Chica Key to register the vehicle. While there the group in front of us had problems because of suitable ID for one member of their party. I suggest you call the pass office (305-293-2806.) Describe your situation and see if she can register your vehicle for entering the base. If not, her use of the FamCamp is moot. Be sure to clarify ID requirements for all occupants. It is a long way to be turned away once there.

Good luck and safe travels.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
#1 on your list should be mile marker 98. It's a small building with about ten refrigerated storage cases. each filled with the best key lime pie you ever tasted.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
I am not sure if her sponsor needs to be with her, but perhaps not. We just spent a week at NAS Key West FamCamp and it is a nice facility.

It requires stopping in at Boca Chica Key to register the vehicle. While there the group in front of us had problems because of suitable ID for one member of their party. I suggest you call the pass office (305-293-2806.) Describe your situation and see if she can register your vehicle for entering the base. If not, her use of the FamCamp is moot. Be sure to clarify ID requirements for all occupants. It is a long way to be turned away once there.

Good luck and safe travels.
Thanks, spoke with my sister and she is locating her Military ID and will then check to see if see qualifies, which I believe she will. Once that is done will cover ID's etc. I have my discharge with me. How many sites do they have and do they stay full? Txs
Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thumbs up Manatee's

Hey Coffeeman,

Another nice area of Fl is Silver Springs/Ocala in north central Fl! Myself and a few other iRV2 folks spend the winter there at Wilderness RV Park on Hwy 40! Some of us went and hung out with the Manatee's it is something to do for sure !

Remember All: LIVE, LAUGH & ENJOY !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manatee Rules.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	11535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mom & Calf 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	11536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Manatee 1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	11537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manatee 4.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	11538  

Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Google Sigsbee RV Park or go to www,military campgrounds,us for info on the NAS Key West FamCamp. You will find a detailed writeup at that website

They will have room. There are over 400 RVs there through the winter. If there are no full hook up sites they will put you in overflow to dry camp until one is available.

You will not need your discharge. They are strict on I'D since Bin Laden mission heightened security level. Vehicle registration and proof of insurance are also required, so read the writeup to get all the current info.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to rrountree Send a message via Yahoo to rrountree
Here's a review on Sigsbee (with links) and other RV parks near Key West. Keep in mind that Sigsbee can get jammed up quickly in winter, although overflow sites without hookups are often available.

[moderator edit]
rrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #11

We stay at Sigsbee from Dec until April. There will be room but it will be dry camping for several weeks in Jan.

She can get you on base with her VALID dependent's ID but every time you leave the base you'll go thru the full ID check coming back in. Pets require current rabies cert and you'll need reg and ins to get a pass for the vehicle. Vehicle pass at about Mile 12 BEFORE you get to Key West. Vehicle pass obtained at the main gate to the base where the airplanes are.

Every person in the vehicle will have to have VALID ID of some sort and MUST be with the person with the military ID to get on the base. They cut zero slack; no exceptions.

Is it worth the hassle? BOYD'S and Bluewater $100 plus a night. Navy base dry camp $14 a night. Hookups, if you get lucky $21 a night.

The speed limit is 15 MPH speed all over Sigsbee except the causeway right after the gate and is VERY STRICTLY ENFORCED.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Many 'must sees' in Key West:

- Mallory Square sunset festival
- Southernmost point
- Mel Fischer treasure museum
- Hemingway house
- boat ride to Dry Tortugus Island
- frozen, chocolate covered Key Lime pie on a stick

We stay at the Sugarloaf Key KOA every Easter. Spots near the Pub have a little more room (you can get your canopy out fully).
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just made my reservation at James Island, SC and Skidaway Island , GA. I called Larry and Penny Thompson but was told they were booked for January however would call if cancellation became available. Any other recommendations or do you think I'll get lucky? Txs Dave