Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Charlotte Nascar Hall of Fame

We are planning a visit this May and would appreciate any CG info and also Hall of Fame and Team Garages.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Charlotte is lacking in quality RV parks. If you love RACIN' then stay at Tom Johnson Rv in Concord NC. The big speedway is right across the street...Richard Petty driving experience and such...Uptown Charlotte and my store (Sleepy Poet Antique Mall) is just a 20 minute drive...The Hall of Fame in uptown is a nice attraction..Have fun and if you can give me the dates we would love to show you some of the cool places eat and drink... All (most) of the garages are within a 30 minute drive of Tom Johnson camping Center....Let us know...Peace D
PS...There is a race I am pretty sure in May...so check with the camp ground at Tom Johnson...Silly race fans come for weeks for the May race...
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi clifftall,
Next to the Charlotte Motor Speedway is Tom Johnson's Camping Center Racing Campground. $25/Nite if there are no events being held. Gravel, full hookup sites. The CG is immaculate. There is no recreation, but the area provides that. Their contact number is 704-455-4445. The web site is Racing Resort at Tom Johnson Camping Center,Marion NC,Concord NC,Recreation Vehicle Dealer,RV Dealer

Hendricks racing team has a nice self guided tour. In a separate building there is a large store and memorabilia place to visit. The web site is About | Hendrick Motorsports | Visit Us . If you go and are really into NASCAR, the tour and memorabilia store could easily be 3 hours.

Bruton Smith Blvd. has more restaurants than Branson, MO.

We'll be there in June.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

I am planning the same trip to the HOF next week we go to Charlotte alot
we will stay at Carowinds campground, Hendrick motorsports is the best shop
to visit also the best restaurant we have found is Firebirds in Pineville NC
on Rea road the best steak and Lobster I have ever had
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

clifftall,
Not sure when you plan on going however, the Allstar race is the weekend of 21 May and the Coca-Cola 600 is the following weekend. As such, campground prices will be higher during that 2 week period. They typically have a 4 day minimum each weekend.

Lowes motor Speedway Speedway camping: Charlotte Motor Speedway | Speedway | Camping

Hudspeth Family Campground: Home Page

Tom Johnson: New and Used RVs For Sale, Service, Parts Tom Johnson Camping Center Concord (Charlotte) and Marion North Carolina

Fleetwood Camping Resort

I believe the team garages are located near the race track

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Thanks to all for some great ideas.We're excited to be going there. My DW is as big a fan as I am. She wants to do the Petty Experience ( drive along ) but they won't be there the week we are going. We'll find another track along the way to do it. I did it at Datona a few years ago and it was incredible.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #7

Did the trip last week stayed at Carowinds rv park only 15 minutes to hall of fame 25 minutes to Hendrick also did the dinner cruise on Lake Norman
at Queens landing Lady of the lake Prime rib Buffet on Thursday night that was about 35 minuites from campground on Exit 36 off I 77 also on exit 36
is Lancasters BBQ if you are a nascar fan you have to go there wall to wall Sheetmetal and uniforms and the food is great.Email mail if you have any Questions I will try to help.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
There is also Lake Norman State Park in Irdell County N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: Lake Norman State Park - Maps and Directions

This is 25 miles north of Charlotte. It is a nice park, but may not be the best for touring the Speedway, shops & Hall Of Fame. As previously mentioned, Tom Johnsons is very nice for the race fans. Very well kept up.
I think there are tours at the Earnhart shop in Mooresville also.