Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Check in times

Stupid question Im sure but have a campsite reservation for Sat -Mon. Checkout is 4pm and checkin is 6pm. I will probably be there closer to 1:00. What should I do if arrive hours before checkin? Ive tried calling and no one ever picks up phone. According to site all campsites are reserved this weekend too.

This is a Corp of engineers site (guess these time are because of that?)

GN2ZDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #2

Unusual hours for sure.
When I arrive early I stop by to see if the site is available. I have yet to be turned away if the site is empty.
I have had to wait because somebody was taking their time breaking camp. In that case I have used the time to make a WalMart run, take a nap, or have something to eat.
You could even leave your coach in the parking lot and run in to town with your toad.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

Agreed, usually there is a place to park out of the way while you're waiting for your site to empty.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

Those are unusual check in/out times.

If I am going to arrive much earlier then anticipated. I call the CG and check to see if I can enter early. If not I'll stop and do groceries, stop in a large mall etc.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I would double check those hours. All the state parks I have been to, check out has been late as 1pm.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I would double check those hours. All the state parks I have been to, check out has been late as 1pm.

Those are the times posted. I thought they were late too. Tried to call numerous times and no one answers the phone
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #7

What park is this?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Is this a COE park leased to a private concern? They may be catering to boaters with those hours.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #9

I would think that they would have a day use area that you could park in if the site is still occupied when you arrive.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
What park is this?
Burns Run West – Lake Texoma

Burns Run West in OK on Lake Texoma
Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #11

Looks like a great campground and area.

I would agree that the 4P is probably for the boaters. I would be surprised that anyone other than locals would wait that late to check out because they have to get to their next stop.

Keep trying to call them on your way and they might find someone that has left early and give you that spot.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I view the check-in / check-out times as rules that only apply when there's somebody actually waiting to get into a site.

We show up early if that's what best fits our plan vis--vis our actual driving schedule. If the site we're headed for is still occupied ... no problems, we'll find something to do and come back later.

We regularly stay past the appointed "check out" time as well - unless of course, somebody arrives and is waiting for the site. I regularly work my day gig from my coach - and typically can't knock off for the day until 2:00 pm. It's not uncommon for us to stay until 2:00 pm - then pull out and cover 150-200 miles for the day - pulling into our next destination in the early evening.

On the days we do plan to stay past check out time - we'll typically clear it with the campground office the day before. I've yet to be told that the check out time is a hard and fast rule. If the site isn't reserved for that evening - we usually get the "stay as long as you'd like". Worst case, the site is reserved - and we'll be told "you'll have to move when the incoming campers arrive".
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

I never disobey a campground rule/regulation to suit myself.... (even if/when I don't like it or when I disagree with it).
Why some people think it's okay to do so escapes me.

IMO doing the right thing is never wrong.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I never disobey a campground rule/regulation to suit myself.... (even if/when I don't like it or when I disagree with it).
Why some people think it's okay to do so escapes me.
Being that your post follows my post that started out "I view the check-in / check-out times as rules that only apply when there's somebody actually waiting to get into a site." - I can't help but think that perhaps it is a response to my comments.

I'm certainly not a scofflaw .. but, I've been around the block to recognize that rules that are as arbitrary as check-in / check-out times are often far more flexible under the right circumstances. Lots of reasonable situations under which the rules can be flexible exist than can be carved into a wooden sign or written in the "regulations".

I see absolutely nothing wrong with showing up early and asking if I can get in ahead of the check-in time if the site is available. Same thing applies to asking for a "late" check-out. The folks in charge always have the final say as to whether the couple of hours one way or another is OK or not.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote