Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Question Chesapeake Bay Bridge Rest Area?

We're headed down to Cape Hatteras from New Jersey and I've decided to break up the trip. We will leave Friday and I drive down near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and I'd like to to spend the night somewhere close and then drive over the bridge in the morning. Does anyone know if there is an overnight rest stop near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One the north side of the bridge/tunnel there is a rest area with a very large parking lot for RVs and 18 wheelers but I do not know if they allow overnight parking. Our son lives about 2 hours from there in Maryland. We have stopped there many times but only for a short break. Be careful going through the toll booth just past the rest stop because they are narrow. I brushed one of my mirrors against one of the posts. Also propane needs to be shut off before entering the bridge/tunnel.
-------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

There is a KOA off of rt 97 in Millersville. A little pricey but there's not much around there
jfpinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you are talking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis, (the other is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and is near Norfolk, VA) if you are traveling south on US 301 there is a rest area at just south of the road to Church Hill at County Rd 834. The rest area is in the median. Also a Trailway Truck Stop at Centerville, Highway 304. Also there's a K Mart on Solomon's Island, right before the Bay Bridge. Call 410-643-9600 and ask if they allow overnight parking.

The Bay Bridge-Tunnel, in VA, requires LP turned off at the tank and has a 13'6" height limitation. They do take EZ Pass.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
kwilkins,

You may want to reconsider your timing as driving through the Outer Banks on a Saturday is a ZOO! The old renters are coming off the island, the new renters are coming on, the cleaning people are trying to get around during the transition and there is gridlock.

I was just down down there in mid-July. On Saturday, a 15 minute trip was taking 2 hours. It was a little better on Sunday, but still bad. Weekdays are much better.

It may be wise to push on Friday and do the whole trip in one day.

Safe travels.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Also there's a K Mart on Solomon's Island, right before the Bay Bridge. Call 410-643-9600 and ask if they allow overnight parking.

The Bay Bridge-Tunnel, in VA, requires LP turned off at the tank and has a 13'6" height limitation. They do take EZ Pass.

Being from Southern Maryland I'm a little confused. I'm unaware of a Solomons right before the bay bridge. The Solomons I'm familiar with is in Calvert, Co. quite a bit further south than the bridge.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Being from Southern Maryland I'm a little confused. I'm unaware of a Solomons right before the bay bridge. The Solomons I'm familiar with is in Calvert, Co. quite a bit further south than the bridge.
You are absolutely correct, the K Mart I was referring to and provided phone # is on Kent Island, right before the bridge, Stevensville, MD. There's also a Cracker Barrel on the south side of 301/50 just before the K Mart.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #8

Virginia rest areas do not allow overnight stops. May not be enforced?
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
On our way to Rodanthe in Outer Banks, we stayed at Tall Pines Harbor for one night in Temperanceville, VA. About 50 miles from Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Very big sites with after hours check-in. Agree with other post about terrible traffic on Saturday. Get there early in morning.
j52wf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
We're headed down to Cape Hatteras from New Jersey and I've decided to break up the trip. We will leave Friday and I drive down near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and I'd like to to spend the night somewhere close and then drive over the bridge in the morning. Does anyone know if there is an overnight rest stop near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge?
kwilkins,

Couldn't agree more! A morning drive across the bay bridge is awesome. We did it a couple years ago and loved it. If weather permits be sure to roll down your windows and breathe in that sea air.

This park may be worth a look based on what you're looking for.

Kiptopeke State Park

We have not camped there but, I heard a lot of good things about it. If we go back to the Chesapeake Bay area, we will try it.

Enjoy your trip! Hatteras is wonderful. If you get a chance take the ferry over to Ocracoke. The village is a special place for us!
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by skstrickland View Post
kwilkins,

Couldn't agree more! A morning drive across the bay bridge is awesome. We did it a couple years ago and loved it. If weather permits be sure to roll down your windows and breathe in that sea air.

This park may be worth a look based on what you're looking for.

Kiptopeke State Park

We have not camped there but, I heard a lot of good things about it. If we go back to the Chesapeake Bay area, we will try it.

Enjoy your trip! Hatteras is wonderful. If you get a chance take the ferry over to Ocracoke. The village is a special place for us!
Well shoot! I didn't realize that I posted to this thread a few days after the OP actually departed for the OBX!! I should pay closer attention!!!
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
best bet
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skstrickland View Post
Well shoot! I didn't realize that I posted to this thread a few days after the OP actually departed for the OBX!! I should pay closer attention!!!
Thanks for that SK! i was thinking exactly the same thing about Kiptopeke SP. Then saw your post and said "well shoot" myself.

We did stay at Kiptopeke a few years ago and it is a great place. Wide open sites and easy in and out. And that beach with fishing pier and water front area is great! Not to mention that unique breakwater they have...it makes for some really great photo ops.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote