Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Chicago

Anyone have experience and recommendations on closest RV parks to Chicago and taking the train into the city?

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
In August 2013 we stayed at the Chicago Northwest KOA. The campsite was very nice, though we spent most of our time catching the train from a nearby station into the city...Crystal Lake, I believe. Was so happy not to drive into the city!!!

Maryland
MusicRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

No hook ups. 24 hour security. train station real close, Very good location for touring around chicago.

Chicago McCormick Place Parking:
31st Street Lot: $14.00 per day for passenger vehicles, $30 for Bus/RV's. Overnight parking is available for bus/RV only. Located at 31st St. near Lake Shore Drive, this open-air lot holds 2,250 cars. To get to the 31st St. lot from I-55, take southbound Lake Shore Drive and exit at 31st Street. Turn right and follow the parking signs. From downtown Chicago, take Lake Shore Drive South and exit at 31st St, turn right and follow the parking signs to Lot B.

Chicago McCormick Place Hotel Parking

More info here

Chicago McCormick Place Marshalling Yard - Chicago, IL - RV Park Reviews
Old 06-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #4

I live in the Chicago area and agree with both suggestions so far. Just understand that the McCormick Place one is simply a parking lot with lots of semi deliveries and few RVs. The train ride from Crystal Lake is about an hour and a quarter.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

There really no camp grounds very close. Fish Lake Beach is a nice place. and is a 5 minute drive to yhe Round Lake Metro (train) station, where there is free parking. Fish Lake Beach Resort - Camping near Six Flags Great America, Gurnee and Family & Corporate Picnics, Swimming and Fishing in Lake County, near Chicago

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Leisure Lake is in Plainfield near where I-55 & I-80 interesct, it's a private campground but they will rent sites if it isn't full.
You can drive up to Naperville ( this is a real nice town with many resturants) from there hop on a Metra train to downtown Chicago, it's about a 30 min train ride.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Anyone have experience and recommendations on closest RV parks to Chicago and taking the train into the city?
Try this new county park in Kane County IL., Big Rock campground outside of Aurora IL. Here is the link to the park. This park has 50 AMP service and water access with parking pads; $25 a night for non-residents. Forest Preserve Property

Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I live in the Chicago area and agree with both suggestions so far. Just understand that the McCormick Place one is simply a parking lot with lots of semi deliveries and few RVs. The train ride from Crystal Lake is about an hour and a quarter.
Do you feel McCormick Place is safe? We will be in the Chicago area for 3 or 4 days, don't mind that there are no hookups. Will be spending the days meeting relatives and seeing the sights.

I don't like the idea of having to drive an hour or more into the city each day, but want to be safe.

Any thoughts?
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
Do you feel McCormick Place is safe? We will be in the Chicago area for 3 or 4 days, don't mind that there are no hookups. Will be spending the days meeting relatives and seeing the sights.

I don't like the idea of having to drive an hour or more into the city each day, but want to be safe.

Any thoughts?
I have never camped there or even seen the exact lot they park RVs in. McCormick Place is a busy place though. Always setting up next show or breaking down last one. I would think there would be a lot of truck traffic in and out of there. Bad for peace and quiet, but good for scaring off crooks. Maybe the website indicates whether the lot is fenced and gated. That would make me feel better about it.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Like others have stated McCormick Place Staging Lot is a very busy place, there is always a lot of activity 24 hours a day & the place is covered with cops.
I won't have a problem with security but the location is right downtown, if that's where your spending most of your time it's a good choice. If your Freinds & family are in the suburbs you might want to stay near them & take the train into the city.
The Metra train is a nice way to get around.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #11

Thanks for the info.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

We stayed at McCormick last July for 2 nights with no problems. There's a dog friendly park on lake Michigan right across the highway. The wife and I walked our chiwennie over there with ease. It was fine. Think is was called Navy park. Yes, u will have to boondock, OK to leave genset on 24/7. Has security gate with pass to get in. We stopped in Chicago for the pizza of course. Went to China town also, it was awesome. Hope that helped.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

We were there last month and stayed at Illinois Beach SP about an hours drive north. Traffic wasn't bad and no tolls. Didn't mind the drive each day.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
Leisure Lake is in Plainfield near where I-55 & I-80 interesct, it's a private campground but they will rent sites if it isn't full.
You can drive up to Naperville ( this is a real nice town with many resturants) from there hop on a Metra train to downtown Chicago, it's about a 30 min train ride.
That place is popular with boomers when there's a turnaround going on in a local refinery or powerhouse.

Naperville is white bread Valhalla.