Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Chicago to Florida

Hi Y'all:

We're planning to go from Chicago to central Florida in mid November and I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys of interesting things to do along the way. We plan a liesurly drive and would like to see some stuff besides fast food restaurants and truck stops. ;-) We will probably take I-65 to Louisville and then to I-75 for the rest of the trip. (Not set in stone, tho) Any neet places you've been/seen along the way will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JeepTJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Consider visiting Renfro Valley, Country Music venue and Hall of Fame (near Exit 62 on I-75). Stop for a night or two and take in a show. Also, think about a stop in Townsend, TN. From there, visit Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Cades Cove, drive over New Found Gap to Cherokee (see map).

Steve & Lynette

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Don,
Consider these POIs:
1. Creation Museum at Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview | Creation Museum
2. Kentucky Horse Park at http://www.kyhorsepark.com/
3. Side Trip to Pigeon Forge, TN at Pigeon Forge Attractions Guide - Dollywood, Splash Country & More

The above mentioned suggestions should make the drive most enjoyable and memorable. If you need CG suggestions, please post here or PM me.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Louisburg itself is very nice.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
If you were to start your trip going down I-57 and connecting to I-24, then you could stop in Metropolis, IL for the gambling boat and see Superman. In Paducah, KY, is a quilt museum that is worth seeing. Then on to Nahville on I-24 to see the Grand Ole Opry sites. From there you can get on I-40 and head to the Pigeon Forge and Gattlinburg area and if you want spend a little time in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Then stay on I-40 and go to Ashville, NC, for sightseeing. From there, work your way over to Charleston, SC (if you do, go see the Huntly exhibit of the Confederate submarine), from there to Savannah and finally down to FL.

Personally, I don't go through Atlanta as I've been delayed 2 and 3 hours in traffic jams. It isn't bad on Sunday but I can't always plan my trips well enough to hit Atlanta on Sunday. I'm always looking for better ways to reach FL from my location in Ohio.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all of you that replied. I really appreciate the good ideas. I have been down the route before but we've always been a hurry. I really like Pete's idea of taking I-57 to I-24, etc. I actually went to Metropolis back in the '80s for work to do a story on the town and Superman, but I didn't take family and there was no gambling. (The wife will like that now that there is.) I don't know if I will go all the way to the eastern seaboard, but I will give it some thought. I do hate driving around Atlanta, the last time I did it we also got caught in a 2 hour delay south of town.

Best regards to all

JeepTJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
If you like aquariums stop in Chattanooga, it's great!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote