Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

Christmas 2014 Options??

Since I lost both of parents (6 weeks apart) about a 1 1/2 years ago we do not seem to enjoy Christmas that much anymore. I have been very accommodating with the DW being my Mother was her best friend. I have not even said "Bah Humbug" one time for two years. She just informed me that she wants to be somewhere else besides our home next Christmas.

So I am looking for ideas. If I am correct two locations are very hard to get. One is Disney World and the other is Key West. Ido not want cold weather if possible. I am also assuming I will need to book something long in advance.

Any suggestions/ideas? It will be just us two being we never had any kids.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

I would suggest you go early and get established in a park that has a very active clubhouse. That way you'll meet people and most likely there will be Christmas dinner and other festivities in which to partake. I think that rather than just going somewhere you need to do things with others during that time. Also, in another year your sad feelings might get just a little better. It takes time. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
How about Palm Springs or Yuma. Nice and warm. Tons of stuff to do and see in Palm Springs, you don't even have to golf.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just stay away from Holiday Cove in Cortez/Bradenton Florida. Very clickish high priced and NO social activities for anyone other then the regulars who do their own thing and don't really engage "visitors" other then that it was 82 and a great area.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think New Orleans is good just about any time of the year. Can't do much about the weather.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #6

Being we live close to New Orleans our old memories are tied into to New Orleans and Louisiana. We need to find a warmer location to start some new Holiday routines/memories. I checked Disney World and they are pretty expensive that time of the year. With the snowbird invasion I am sure anywhere close to Key West is taken well in advance.

While at Key West in May we may look at our Christmas time options. The DW has a niece that lives somewhere in Arizona. We have been thinking about a trip to the Grand Canyon in Sept/Oct of next year, so may look into Yuma.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Being we live close to New Orleans our old memories are tied into to New Orleans and Louisiana. We need to find a warmer location to start some new Holiday routines/memories. I checked Disney World and they are pretty expensive that time of the year. With the snowbird invasion I am sure anywhere close to Key West is taken well in advance.

While at Key West in May we may look at our Christmas time options. The DW has a niece that lives somewhere in Arizona. We have been thinking about a trip to the Grand Canyon in Sept/Oct of next year, so may look into Yuma.

Although not really cheap during a holiday, a cruise to the Caribbean is an option. A lot of people cruise for the same reason as you described. You can cruise less expensively the week before Christmas week.

New Orleans Cruise Ships
Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

Check ouy The Campground at James Island County Park nesr Charleston, SC.

Maggie - the not so porky Yorkie and Eddie - the crazy Chiweenie
SavReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Key West would be, ah, well, different from the traditional Christmas you're used to, no doubt about that.

As for Disney World:

Disney World is beautifully decorated for Christmas and there are special parades, shows and displays for the holiday, but, not sure you'll want to be there on Christmas day, or anytime the last couple of weeks of December.

We're spending our winter about 20 minutes from the Disney main gate, that is intentional. This morning the local news talked about how this is the busiest day of the year in the theme parks, they'll often close them to further admission by 10AM. It will be shoulder to shoulder and the attractions will all have long lines. That said, it can still be enjoyed if your goal is simply to take in the ambiance and experience of being here on Christmas. As for us, annual pass holders, our last park visit for the year was Wednesday last week and we won't go back until a couple of days past New Years day.

Fort Wilderness, the Disney World campground, is beautiful and a destination all its own. There's much you can enjoy just from the experience of staying there any time of year. During Christmas many will surprise you with the effort put into decorating their site for the holiday. Be aware, however, that the camping site rates jump way up for the holidays.

I don't want to discourage you from a Disney World Christmas, it can be a wonderful experience, just go knowing what to expect, and make your reservations for next year NOW.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto JMonroe on his points on Key West. Not a place I would want to spend Christmas. Disney however, would be a great choice. We travel to Ft. Wilderness a couple times a year, and you don't have to go to the Parks every day. As mentioned, Ft. Wilderness is a comfortable resort all on its own with restaurants, pool, tennis, canoeing, horse back riding, boat rentals, etc. Another option is Naples, I have friends who go down the last 2 weeks of December each year and stay at Signature, a very nice resort! I have also stayed at Pelican Lake(awesome), Neapolitan Cove and Paradise Point, both nice. Good Luck !
Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

Have you considered South Padre or other spots down in the valley? It's been three years since we were there but we've always enjoyed.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote