Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Christmas in Dollywood...Biltmore

DH and I were thinking about heading to Dollywood between Christmas and New Year. We want to go South but due to the time limitations have to limit the distance from PA. Has anyone been to Dollywood over Christmas and would you recommend it? We were also thinking about making a pit-stop at Biltmore. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Biltmore at Christmas is spectacular. A definite must-see.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Did Biltmore once for Christmas. I wouldn't go out of my way or dish out the cash for another holiday visit. I am due for a spring visit though.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

We would love to go back to biltmore specifically for Christmas. Different strokes! The craftsmanship is amazing, and I have heard that the decorations are beautiful. the town is lovely too.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

I said I wouldn't repeat it. Having said that, seeing something once is more than enough for many people and just as satisfying. I just thought all the fireplaces would have been burning and such. Living just over the hill from there, they tend to play it up in commercials around here but Biltmore is NOT like it was when the rich owners showed up for a holiday, I am sure about that.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

We will be RVing in Pigeon Forge between Christmas and New Years as well. Plenty to do and see....trying Pine Mountain Campground for a change. Hope it is as nice as it looks. It gets solid reviews and is a couple of blocks off of the main drag through town.
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bespos View Post
We will be RVing in Pigeon Forge between Christmas and New Years as well. Plenty to do and see....trying Pine Mountain Campground for a change. Hope it is as nice as it looks. It gets solid reviews and is a couple of blocks off of the main drag through town.
it

It sounds like it's a repeat visit for you. Any suggestions? It's a short trip for us ...leaving Friday night from PA arriving on Saturday and will return home on Tuesday. That only gives us three days to enjoy the area. Also wondering about the weather... I was hoping that it would be a little warmer than PA!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #8

Hello, yes return trip for sure as we call Atlanta home. My wife and I love the area but be forewarned, it is as "touristy" as it gets. That being said, we love all there is to do with the Titanic exhibit, pancake houses and restaurants galore and unique shopping. Make sure you take the short drive and walk the town of Gatlinburg as it is charming and fun to park and walk for end to end. If you like Italian food check out a restaurant called Best Italian in Gatlinburg. We are transplanted northerners and it works for us. The weather is a crap shoot for that time of year so we hope for the best. It is cold right now so hopefully there will be a warming trend around Christmas as has been our experience in the past. Explore as the area has a lot to offer at the Smokey Mountain Nation Park with beautiful views and drives. Enjoy!
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do both if you can get them in your schedule. You will be very busy if you see both Dollywood and Biltmore in three days. Do the evening/night visit at Dollywood and both day and night visit at Biltmore. Check the hours they will be open so you won't find locked doors. Advance tickets for night visit at Biltmore might be required.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We renamed Pigeon Forge to "Tourist Trap" but still enjoyed it !

and Gatlinburg IS worth a few hours it is so distinct from what we see here in TexUS !

When we went years ago, we had some time to kill for some reason before we could get into the park...
we found this little 'scenic drive' just before the entrance of the park that looped up around a creek... and was the surprise of the trip....
historic stopping points with plaques and water wheels and stunning vistas... Not Clingman Dome vistas, but gee-or-geous..

At the time we had a Winnebago LeSharo - only 22 ft, but it was QUITE a tight fit for it, so don't suggest you try it with your bigger rv's....
Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We did Dollywood right after Thanksgiving a few years ago. Great Christmas shows and was not too crowded. It is great that everyone says MERRY CHRISTMAS instead of Happy Holidays!

Also did Biltmore on that trip. We had a evening tour with 50+ Christmas trees and many rooms decorated for Christmas. Snow flurries were coming down outside making it the perfect night.

Yes I said 'snow flurries'. Don't expect that area to be much warmer than PA. It may be 25 degrees in PA and 35 degrees in Asheville. Still cold...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #12

On the temps, you just never know. Highs could be from 30's to 60's.
Lows from teens to 40's.
Nice place to visit, have a great time.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
There's also the possibility that the Smokie Mtns could be colder than Kutztown PA. This area gets the west blowing weather & holds it in the mtns to help alleviate the bad weather from us in the Charlotte NC area. As mentioned above , it's a crap shoot. It could be beautiful, sunny & 60'. I wouldn't let it hold me back though as long as there isn't any major winter storms coming across the southern states.

Tags
dolly