Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Circle Lake Superior

Hi Fellow RV travelers. I am planning a Circle Lake Superior trip this coming Sept. '13, and have a few concerns. We of course would like to camp/RV along our route in Ontario and found some great web sites to assist us, but my concern is, will I have cell phone service. I understand that I will need to use roaming, but I was wondering what reception is like, and will I have any access to WIFI? Also, I have concerns regarding electric hookups. 110 vs something else? Will I need to make special preparations for electrical hookups? Lastly, do you have any other words of wisdom for the inexperienced RV traveler outside the US. Oh yes, We will not forget our passports!!

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Al T.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

WIFI is the same everywhere. If the campground offers it, you will be good. Using your cell internet can bevp verrpt costly. Check wirh your cell provider ti see what they offer for voice and web roaming. Optupions vary.

Our last trip to BC, we just put the phones on airplane mode. A friend is traveling across Canada right now and he had a real challenge finding an affordable plan. I do not know what he ended up doing.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Nice trip lots of beautiful camping. Electric is no problem same as here. Cell phone I just turned it off last trip , trip before I paid extra for Canadian coverage, it was very spotty decided it was not worth it. Wifi some campgrounds have it otherwise find McDonalds Tim Horton or something of that sort. Gas last week was just over $5 gallon. Lots of construction but probably ending by Sept. east side of Thunderbay 4 lanes going in big project.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
We recently camped in Lake Superior Provincial Park for eight days. Our Verizon phones worked well but at 86 cents a min we did with out. There were other areas where no reception was possible. You can add Canada through Verizon Canada Cell Phone Plans | Canada Calling Plans | Verizon Wireless
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
Nice trip lots of beautiful camping. Electric is no problem same as here. Cell phone I just turned it off last trip , trip before I paid extra for Canadian coverage, it was very spotty decided it was not worth it. Wifi some campgrounds have it otherwise find McDonalds Tim Horton or something of that sort. Gas last week was just over $5 gallon. Lots of construction but probably ending by Sept. east side of Thunderbay 4 lanes going in big project.
Thanks for your time and input. Al
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
WIFI is the same everywhere. If the campground offers it, you will be good. Using your cell internet can bevp verrpt costly. Check wirh your cell provider ti see what they offer for voice and web roaming. Optupions vary.

Our last trip to BC, we just put the phones on airplane mode. A friend is traveling across Canada right now and he had a real challenge finding an affordable plan. I do not know what he ended up doing.
Thanks for you info. Much appreciated.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
We recently camped in Lake Superior Provincial Park for eight days. Our Verizon phones worked well but at 86 cents a min we did with out. There were other areas where no reception was possible. You can add Canada through Verizon Canada Cell Phone Plans | Canada Calling Plans | Verizon Wireless
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #8

NO GUNS, limits on intociants Be very nice at customs, you can stop at duty free for some good deals. The lake loop is long green pine groves. The amasysth mine at thunder bay are interesting. Fuel before you leave its a long way between fuel stops...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
NO GUNS, limits on intociants Be very nice at customs, you can stop at duty free for some good deals. The lake loop is long green pine groves. The amasysth mine at thunder bay are interesting. Fuel before you leave its a long way between fuel stops...
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will need your Passport. Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
you can take a shotgun. there is a form you have to fill out and you have to report it upon entering Canada.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als3rdhand View Post
Hi Fellow RV travelers. I am planning a Circle Lake Superior trip this coming Sept. '13, and have a few concerns. We of course would like to camp/RV along our route in Ontario and found some great web sites to assist us, but my concern is, will I have cell phone service. I understand that I will need to use roaming, but I was wondering what reception is like, and will I have any access to WIFI? Also, I have concerns regarding electric hookups. 110 vs something else? Will I need to make special preparations for electrical hookups? Lastly, do you have any other words of wisdom for the inexperienced RV traveler outside the US. Oh yes, We will not forget our passports!!

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Al T.
You may find some 110v service on busy campsites with a heavy load, but Canada has the same nominal voltage (120V) as in the US (Not 110v). It is rare to find 110v service, maybe at the long end of some rural lines. Electrical hookups are the same as the US.

I see some people commented about using verizon cell service in Canada. Verizon is one of the very few providers in the world that use CDMA for new service. Telus and Bell have older CDMA legacy systems still working, but all new services (4g) are on GSM. And Rogers is GSM. So you are likely to get better cell service with a GSM phone. You can also buy pay-as-you-go sim cards online or in Canada. (Sim cards only work on GSM capable phones and must have an unlocked phone for other service providers.)

Roaming charges are out of sight, like others said, best to turn at least your roaming data off and keep voice and text calls to a minimum unless you want a huge bill.

There are many places you can get free WiFi, but most campgrounds have crappy WiFi just as in the US. You can look at the Canadian providers web sites and see the various cell coverage areas. I suspect there are spotty areas along highway 17 but best to visit "Bell.ca" and "rogers.com" sites to see coverage maps. (telus and bell use the same towers for the most part) Bell Canada owns Virgin Canada and you can get a virgin sim card - think it is about $30 for voice & data.

Many others have pay as you go sim cards also. You can get online or at many 7/11, Mac's Milk, Walmarts, Best Buy etc. They are available almost anywhere and is a much cheaper option than paying the roaming charge.

Just need an unlocked GSM phone to use a third party sim card. But forward you US phone to the temp number in Canada if you do not want to incur roaming charges, but you will likely incur LD charges for incoming calls on your US phone bill if you do this. Best to leave a voice message on your US phone with your temp tel nunber and let the caller incur the LD charge.

Re passports. US citizens DO NOT require passports to visit Canada, however if you are planning to go home, it is a good idea to have a passport, Nexus card or and enhanced DL. Otherwise US Border services might give you some anxious moments. So best to have one of the aformentioned documents. But you said you have passports so you are OK.

And as in the Johny Cash Song, "just leave your guns at home son, leave your guns at home" and things will likely go smoother.

Good luck and have a good trip.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #13

Hi,

here are some suggestions for Ontario Provincial Parks to stay at:

Kakabeka Falls - near Thunder Bay - 1 or 2 days max.
Sleeping Giant - near Thunder Bay - quite a distance off the Trans Canada Highway but worth 1 - 4 days stay. Silver Islet is worth a few hours of your time and the park itself has trails that are ranked easy to moderate with good scenic views.
RainBow Falls/Rossport - 1 - 2 days max.
Pukaskwa National Park - 1 - 2 days
White Lake - 1 day
Lake Superior Provincial Park - 1 - 5 days
Pancake Bay - 1 - 3 days

I've stayed at all of these parks and each offers access to good hikes, photo-ops, and are generally right along the north shore of Lake Superior. The Rossport to Marathon region has the steepest grades (up to 7%) followed by the Wawa to Sault Ste. Marie section.

Depending upon the difference in temp between the air and water, thick fog banks can be encountered in the morning. Not something you want to be driving through.

Fuel costs are most expensive between ThunderBay to Wawa ... but nothing compared to the Yukon or Northern BC.

I'm heading up to that area, during the same time frame, and departing from Toronto. Never done the circle route so am curious to hear what the southern portion of Lake Superior is like.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve