Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
civil war battlefield tour

Beginning the first week of June, DW and myself are taking our 15 yr old granddaughter on a tour of the civil war battlefields starting at Vicksburg then to shiloh, Chattanooga and from there to South Carolina. After that it is into Virginia where most of the touring will be.

My plan after reaching Virginia is to a more or less centrally located campground and then branch out by the car from there. While we are on the trip I plan on hitting Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg and of Course DC.

Any suggestions as to camp grounds? and any other information anyone thinks I could use.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
Beginning the first week of June, DW and myself are taking our 15 yr old granddaughter on a tour of the civil war battlefields starting at Vicksburg then to shiloh, Chattanooga and from there to South Carolina. After that it is into Virginia where most of the touring will be.

My plan after reaching Virginia is to a more or less centrally located campground and then branch out by the car from there. While we are on the trip I plan on hitting Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg and of Course DC.

Any suggestions as to camp grounds? and any other information anyone thinks I could use.
Can't help with the first part of your trip, but do have two suggestions for the VA and DC portion. IMHO, the best campground in the Williamsburg area is American Heritage.American Heritage - Home

And, when visiting Washington, the best choice is Cherry Hill - the metro bus comes right into the campground so public transportation is very easy. Also, the folks in the office are wonderful as far as suggestions/advice are concerned. Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park

Have a great trip.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
No way to get to Gettysburg?
That's the CW in a capsule as far as I'm concerned, absolutely a great history lesson. I took an audio tour in my car and went back the next day it was so moving.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix
No way to get to Gettysburg?
That's the CW in a capsule as far as I'm concerned, absolutely a great history lesson. I took an audio tour in my car and went back the next day it was so moving.
I have four days planned for Gettysburg. During my time in the army walked those fields several times.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI
We stayed At the Gettysburg CG last year in Sept.
We are still spraying to kill the stink bugs that invaded the coach...really bad. While there I couldn't get the GCG web link to work, so I clicked on GCG test and got my computer hack into, beware of look-a-likes.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Try the artillery ridge campground in Gettysburg. We stayed there last year and it was good. Seems like there's another thread going around right now with a similar subject and probably helpful answers if you can find it. I thnik this is it: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/getty...nd-118551.html
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

Along with my wife, we camp host in central Va at Pocahontas State park between Richmond and Petersburg. We have many visitors who use the campground to tour the area , Pocahontas is about a little over an hour from the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area. Richmond and Petersburg are a half hour away. Appomattox is a 1 3/4 hour drive. DC is a bit further.
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq
Along with my wife, we camp host in central Va at Pocahontas State park between Richmond and Petersburg. We have many visitors who use the campground to tour the area , Pocahontas is about a little over an hour from the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area. Richmond and Petersburg are a half hour away. Appomattox is a 1 3/4 hour drive. DC is a bit further.
Sounds like a nice central location. We will have the toad.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #10

You may want to look into Antietam Battlefield south of Hagerstown, Maryland. Its one of the most pristine National Monuments in Maryland ...
TRGarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #11

I would second Pocahontas State Park. If you have the time and are in the Richmond, VA area, go to the Museum of the Confederacy and the Cofederate White House. The cost is $15 per person for access to the two venues. The museum in right next to VCU Medical Center and parking is a nightmare. The suggested parking garage was filled and we were given a voucher for valet parking and with coupon, it was only $2.00. Next time we will skip the parking garage and go right for the $5 normally priced valet parking.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote