Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Class A in Baby Doe, CO

Has anyone on the forum tried camping at Baby Doe Campground (by Leadville) in Colrado with a Class A? Ours is about 33'.

2006 Itasca Meridian 36GSE
2006 Rubicon
Tom & Terri with Chip, Mollie and Honey (pups)
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Matchless can handle my 45'er w/tow with ease because of the way the "parking lot" is arranged and is all drycamp. Using Matchless you will have a backup if BabyDoe fails you. I can't recall what I've seen in BabyDoe but Silver Dollar and Molly Brown I seem to recall seeing good sized A mohos (like low-mid 30s). I know my 45er will only fit (or can even get to) Matchless - the first CG off Turquoise Lake Rd. Typically, arrive on a Thurs and you'll almost always get a spot. Starting on Fridays first come goes really fast in the summer.

SugarLofin private CG at the entrance to Turquoise Lakes is another option and reserve-able. It isn't NFS, but OK as far as privates go. Nothing great except the location. Make sure they do not put you in the small loop "behind" the office - the entrance turn to that loop are tight and low trees. Make a point to NOT stay at the Corral or whatever it is called RV park in town. It's far far worse than a dealer lot line up.

Book 4July NOW. The fireworks show in Leadville is positively worth it (both in the air and on the dry ground and the people too) and then do dinner at Quincy's. You won't go wrong with their 1 item only menu (prime rib fri/sat, filet rest of week). Superb for superb low dollars. I guess you do one thing and you figure out how to do it right! Manuelita's Mexican across the street is amazing fish based Mexican. get the red snapper platter. Wow. And at 10,500 ft elevation as far from the ocean as you can get too!

Lance Armstrong and maybe Floyd will be in town in August for the Race Across the Sky! http://www.leadvilletrail100.com

Off Halfmoon road as you enter the NFS land are several boondock spots I can even get my 45er into. Not overly easy, but doable. Here's some GPS coords (WGS84) for these spots. Free too. Many more along the road in that area will easily fit you. But, the Halfmoon road area can get very busy weekends with hikers going to Mt. Massive/Elbert.
39.19353, -106.3816
39.19118, -106.38105
39.18462, -106.38451
39.18287, -106.38508

Google Earth is the best way to scope out CGs. I use it all the time in planning where I can get my big long 45ft arse into.

Good luck and happy Leadville.

2007 and 7/8ths Newmar Essex 4502
RVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Thanks for the post.....we have camped the area alot but with our class c. Now that we have the A I am alittle nervous about getting into the campground. We are already reserved for the fourth and have a 40' drive at the campsite so that won't be a problem. Glad to hear about Matchless though.
2006 Itasca Meridian 36GSE
2006 Rubicon
Tom & Terri with Chip, Mollie and Honey (pups)
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote