Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Clearwater Recommendations?

Looking for recommendations along the FL west coast in the Clearwater area or within a reasonable distance. We should be there starting Nov 11th for a few days.

Thanks.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

Fort Desoto is a great county park in St Pete Beach. Great water views in most sites. It only has water and electric is the down side. Great beaches to bike to and the nicest boat ramp I have ever seen.

We stayed In a 40' and had plenty of room. Most sites will take a big rig.
Gheidbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would like to frequent this area as well, I'll be curious what you decide on doing and hopefully you report back.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Heres a link for Fort DeSoto. Give it a try but it will be very difficult to get in this time of the year. It's a beautiful area, but they don't trim very much and the sites will be tight for your 43 footer.

https://public.co.pinellas.fl.us/parks/ParksMain.jsp
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

Stayed at Bay Bayou in Oldsmar a few years ago. Tight entrance and hopefully will not rain much when there. Stayed at one of the large trailer parks north of Port Richey last year. Would not go there again. Traffic in the area is horrendous...takes forever to get anywhere because of the only north/south road.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

We've had to stay in/near Clearwater a few times while grandkids were participating there in sports events. My experience is that a most "RV Resorts" are for long term customers. Many have mostly permanent sites with a handful of transient sites. Try Clearwater RV Resort, Tampa RV Park and Yankee Traveler Park. And yes, traffic is horrible all around the area.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the info so far.

Fort Desoto looks interesting but not available for our planned days. I've taken note of the caution about length of our coach getting in there.

Clearwater RV Resort is a NO-GO...won't allow our German Shepherd Dog in.

Bay Bayou has been on the radar scope. I'll do some more digging on that.

Tampa RV Park (Not Tampa RV Resort - Lazydays) just looks unappealing and perhaps too small for us.

Email in to Bay Bayou and Yankee Traveler to see if they have a site available and take GSDs.

I was looking at Lazydays. They have a Winnebago rally but are not full yet. That may be a tad further from Clearwater/St Pete that we want but still thinking on that. Still, a day there might be fun looking at RVs.

It isn't critical so if we don't find something to our liking, we will just head towards the pan handle a few days earlier.

Thanks folks!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Thanks for the info so far.

Fort Desoto looks interesting but not available for our planned days. I've taken note of the caution about length of our coach getting in there.

Clearwater RV Resort is a NO-GO...won't allow our German Shepherd Dog in.

Bay Bayou has been on the radar scope. I'll do some more digging on that.

Tampa RV Park (Not Tampa RV Resort - Lazydays) just looks unappealing and perhaps too small for us.

Email in to Bay Bayou and Yankee Traveler to see if they have a site available and take GSDs.

I was looking at Lazydays. They have a Winnebago rally but are not full yet. That may be a tad further from Clearwater/St Pete that we want but still thinking on that. Still, a day there might be fun looking at RVs.

It isn't critical so if we don't find something to our liking, we will just head towards the pan handle a few days earlier.

Thanks folks!
I like Tampa South RV Resort (closer to Clearwater than LD). They might have an opening for your dates.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I like Tampa South RV Resort (closer to Clearwater than LD). They might have an opening for your dates.
THANKS! Looks nice! Let's see if they get antsy over my GSD. LOL
Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #10

Other options would include Buttonwood in Cortez, EG Simmons in Ruskin
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well...after 2 more resorts balked at our German Shepherd we will just forgo that area and head up to the panhandle after we leave the Lakeland area.

Thanks to all for your contributions!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Come on up and join us at Destin West RV Resort. We'll be here till the 18th. Or another nice choice up here is Top Sail State Park (Sites 103-107 for satellite).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water