Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
COE camprgrounds in GA end of season?

Anyone know why Army COE camps in North Georgia close for the season Sept 8th? This is my first year owning an RV it just seems sort of early to close the parks in our climate. I looked at Corps of Engineers Parks in TN the next state over and they are open till Oct 31st or some time in November. Maybe we need to sign a petition for later closing dates!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
.If you go to the Reservations.gov site they know when the parks are open or not.

It's not in Georgia, but there is a park in SC, only about 20 miles from GA, that is partially open year around. Can't recall it's name just now but I think the town is Pendelton (Look for parks near Anderson or Seneca, it's between them).

There is also a SC state park right on the border (Lake Hartwell) about 2 miles from the driveway to GA.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Many large lakes are Corps. projects and there are often three or more campgrounds around the lake. It is common in Ga, and other sates to close 3 out of four campgrounds to save money. As most Corps. parks contract campsite cleaning , rest room cleaning, and mowing to outside contractors this helps consolidate and save maintenance costs. ( Lots of state parks use volunteers) More and more Corps. parks are closed for the winter now, as a way to save money.

As to the differences in different states. The Corps. campgrounds are run by the Corps. District in that area and they set the policy. For example, Lake Cumberland starts in North east Kentucky and ends in Tennesee. The entire lake is under the Nashville district.

In other districts they may close part the individual campground during slow times instead of closing the entire campground.

As a camper, I feel that the Corps. parks are the BEST, for us. They are clean, well designed and maintained. I have often said that the individual state parks could take lessons from the Corp. on how to build and maintain a campground.

I'm sure that this not the whole story, but it is solid information that I have learned over the years.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the good advice. I did check recreation .gov and it appears all the COE campgrounds around lake Lanier in North GA close this weekend.

I did find some COE Campgrounds near Allatoona Lake (not far form Atlanta) open till 10/7 and one until 10/31. You are correct Lake Hartwell in SC is not that far and I did find one open until 10/30/12. I guess I just need to get my Lake Lanier camping in earlier next year :(
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try R SHAEFER HEARD COE park at West Point, GA or any of the surrounding parks.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lake Hartwell, in SC, is a STATE park, however the state leases it from COE just so you know, (Lake Hartwell is a COE lake after all, man made).

TWIN LAKES is the name of the COE park about 20 miles farther into SC I was trying to think of, also on Lake Hartwell, (just a different part They have 3 loops of campsites, one of which is open year round... I'll be parked elsewhere on Lake Hartwell myself. And lake Keowee.

By the way that second lake.. The south cove is in Seneca, and South Cove County park is open year around, 30 ore 50 amps, plus water all sites, In the "OFF" season it' is $12.00/night all sites.. More expensive in the summer (Starting March 1). Directions on request, (easy to find).