Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Coeure d Alene and Spokane

Been trying to get some local info on the weather and smoke conditions. Our plan was to be in Coeur d Alene this 8/24. Seems the temps are dropping but I can't tell if the winds have changed to clear out the smoke. Any current visitors or locals have any advice. ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

I'm leaving for Kelowna BC in the morning and have been watching the forecast there , wind overnight , then rain tomorrow . That wind could clear the air as far south as Spokane BUT it could also make the fire situation worse here in BC where most of the smoke in Spokane is coming from .
Wildfire situation is changing daily and it will take more than just the one days rain that's forecast to settle the situation down.
As for local here on the coast , for the past week/10 days the smoke has been bad here with visibility as low as a mile , right at the moment we're getting very gusty conditions; visibility up to 10 miles; and if this wind gets over the coast range to the interior , it wont be good news for the firefighters.
I'll be back home on Thursday, and re-post an up-date , meantime maybe a Google search for air quality reports in the areas would help.

EDIT : Have you tried Washington & Idaho state MOT for access to traffic cams .?

RE-EDIT: Just went to Idaho MOT traffic cams and you can see smoke in the back ground of the pictures ( against the mountains ) but in some shots it would seem visibility is 20+ miles. I've had the camera web address for years and I'll try and post it .

Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Skip. Thanks for the great write up. I've been to other ID, MT, WA fire and air quality sites. I need to get better at deciphering them. I have not been to any MOT sites. I'm going to research those now
Old 08-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

Smoke gets in your eyes

Indy 54 ; we are in Blanchard now. Weather has been in 90's and smoky. As i type it just drizzled for a minute. Winds have picked up and are supposed to be from Sw which is to bring some cool ocean air and hopefully clear out some smoke. Have been here since Tuesday and too bad visibility is so bad because the scenery is so beautiful . Air quality readings yesterday were 145 . we will be here till 8/23 so I can update . Jim
Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm in Spokane. I have asthma, but mild. It is smoky here, and often the local air quality folks rate it as "unhealthy for sensitive groups" and occasionally "unhealthy". It is supposed to start to get better on Sunday, but they said that last week and things got just a little worse.

I would suggest that the smoky conditions are unpredictable, and if you are going to come here, you must be prepared to simply deal with the cards you're dealt. If you can't do that, then consider changing your plans, because no one can predict what will happen this week the next, etc.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My son and his family. A daughter also live in Spokane ( actually Mead) say it's hazy but no problems just normal life goes on. Now if you have a respiratory issue you might think otherwise
The "kids" are out doing all the summer camping and activities they normally do.
I lived my whole life in Oregon and Washington .. Fires happen in the forests of the northwest every year. This year is no different. Unless the camp your staying in is very close it won't be a problem .. Unless of course your in that group where the camper next doors campfire bothers you .. About the same
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

Bill. Jim. 1bigmess, thanks a lot for responding. We will keep our plans. We're coming west on I-90 and will in the Rapid City area for several days until 8/22. I've seen reports of
bad air quality/ visibility all along the route, especially in Missoula. We don't plan to spend any time in areas between Rapid City and CDA.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I drove through Missoula last weekend, and it looks worse there than in Spokane. Like I said, I have asthma, and I'm getting by. I'm not happy, but I'm getting by. If you don't have any issues with the health risks, then the only thing taken away from you on your visit is the view.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. Please keep this updated.

We are in Casper WY heading to Mt Rushmore tomorrow. Then Deadwood, Billings and then West Glacier.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

wind shift

here in Blanchard north of CDA winds from south , 68 degrees and partly cloudy , smoke went north and 10 mile visibility. Forecast Ok for now.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #11

Whoa! Thanks Jim. Hope it holds, but I know it's day to day right now.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #12

had a nice rain today in spokane, the wind came up and blew the smoke away!!
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slar62 View Post
had a nice rain today in spokane, the wind came up and blew the smoke away!!
Same in CdA - the wind shifted and is coming from the south, blowing north over the lake, and for the first time since the beginning of the month we're able to see the mountains in the distance. Yesterday (and many days prior) you'd never know there were mountains in the north - kind of reminds me of the smog in San Bernardino on a bad day in the mid 1980s.

With that said, you never know if more fires will start up, and the 24th is still quite a ways away. Good luck and safe travels.
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #14

8/14 report

Sunny 74 degrees , slight wind. Many people probably would say it was cold ? Not for me . Long term forecast shows 70s and 80s , maybe some rain Wednesday next week , No smoke today . They closed 90 east of Spokane yesterday both directions because of a fire , they have since reopened . They are saying might be clear skies on Monday for the eclipse. Great! Burnt retinas for Dummies!