Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Colorado for RVers

Johnny Cash once said, "I have been everywhere man". But, most RVers have not ...

So, I was thinking the other day ... Oh no, DW has that look that I know so well every time I get to thinking ... I told her, no really, I was thinking that RVers want to go and see places, but they don't much enjoy burning diesel just to get there ... So, I said to self, "Self, why not ask others at the irv2 forum for feedback before you start them engines ..."

So, what I'm looking to do is get feedback from others that are familiar with specific states to help snowbirds and sunbirds with their travels.

Since Colorado is a favorite place for many RVers ...

What parts of Colorado do you recommend for other RVers? ... What parts would you put in the category of not worth the diesel needed to get there?

I think, in time, we could build a database from threads like this for each state in the US, places in Canada, Alaska, etc.

DW says

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The million dollar highway for one. The drive from Ouray to Silverton and on down to Durango. The drive thru the Pass from Ouray to Silverton or vice versus can be a white knuckler for some. It's up there and NO guard rails but the scenery is astounding.
Colorado Springs has many places to see with the big attraction being the Air Force Academy.
South of there a bit there's the Royal Gorge. It can go on and on it's just a beautiful state.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
HHg

Ditto on several from the previous poster.....
Manitou Springs
Woodland Park
Estes Park
Colorado Springs
Rocky Mountains
Breckinridge
Cripple Creek
So many.....if I had MY choice, Colorado is where I would retire! The DW has a different opinion on retirement.
Hhg
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Colorado for RVers

It's all just hype, nothing here for RV'ers to see :-).

We lived for a little while in Woodland Park and sometimes on Friday's or Sunday's we would pour our favorite beverage and walk down to the main drag, Hwy 24, and watch the RV parade head from CO Springs out to the high country and back. There are so many great places to camp and it starts practically in the backyard.

One of the more unique experiences is the Pike's Peak International Hill Climb, the second oldest motor race in the US. Saturday night before he race is the only night that you can camp on the mountain.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Steamboat Lake State park
the drive from Ft Collins west to Walden along the Cache le Poudre river
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #6

We’ve been to Colorado twice and loved it. We visited the Durango area, Mesa Verde, Rocky Mountain NP, Summit County (day trip from Denver), Buena Vista, and Denver. The places we stayed were Dakota Ridge, Golden (nice park but tightly packed), Chatfield State Park, Littleton (very nice, lots of room), Cortez KOA (nice but all gravel), Durango KOA (typical KOA, needs some work), Alpen Rose, Durango (probably best in the area), KOA south of Pueblo (nice, roomy), Snowy Peaks RV Park, Buena Vista (nice, roomy). I would stay again at all but Dakota Ridge and Durango KOA.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
The million dollar highway for one. The drive from Ouray to Silverton and on down to Durango. The drive thru the Pass from Ouray to Silverton or vice versus can be a white knuckler for some. It's up there and NO guard rails but the scenery is astounding.
I wonder how a 45' RV with a toad would do on the million dollar highway? If any big coach has been lucky enough to do it, I would love to hear about it.

Here is a video on the highway - Going from Ouray to Silverton. Definitely not a road to take at night ...

Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #8

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I wonder how a 45' RV with a toad would do on the million dollar highway? If any big coach has been lucky enough to do it, I would love to hear about it.
Here is another thread in irv2 that talks about this section of Colorado

Million Dollar Highway CO 550
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Durango

Here is another IRV2 forum on the Durango area of CO

Durango Colorado info please!

Durango Train: http://www.durangotrain.com/
Old 05-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

I am going to Colorado in July with my trailer. It is my first RV trip there. I have stayed in Buena Vista and Gunnison on previous trips. Both towns are great locations for exploring the Colorado mountins. Here is a picture from an earlier trip - The Devil's Punchbowl.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #11

"What parts of Colorado do you recommend for other RVers?""
The whole western 2/3 of the state.
when I was still working I got to live in NW Colorado, Steamboat Springs for 12 yrs. Now that I'm retired, I spend the summers in the south central mountains near South Fork, CO. Everywhere in between those 2 areas has something for everyone, depending on your interests.

"What parts would you put in the category of not worth the diesel needed to get there?"
The eastern 1/3 of the state

Old 05-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #12

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Ghost Towns of Colorado

List of ghost towns in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #13

Estes Park

Were looking at staying in the Estes Park area just before the Rocky Mountain National Park.

We will be there in August in a 40' DSDP.

We have two weeks to explore this area.

We have driven, by car, the San Juan Highway in both directions, Durango to Ouray. Amazing.

Recommendations are appreciated
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #14

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Monarch Pass, CO

Here is another thread in irv2 for Colorado.

This one is on navigating the steep roads around Monarch Pass.

Monarch Pass, Colorado

Tags
colorado