Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Colorado in Sept; Hiking, Fishing, and Day Trips

I have two weeks to spend in Colorado the first of Sept, and I'm looking for ideas for base camps. We will probably be driving up over Labor Day weekend, hopefully arriving about the time the holiday weekenders are leaving. I have been to most parts of Colorado at one time or another in my lifetime, but not recently in a RV. I was thinking about basically two locations, one SW, and one somewhere else. We like day trips, off road touring, hiking, and fishing. We don't mind (prefer) dry camping as long as we can have a night with FHU's every 4 - 5 days. Especially if it gets us into somewhere really special.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Here's a good site which may give you ideas on where to go. Naturally, Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park has some excellent hikes. For a little bit of all your activities zero in on Hwy 160 across the bottom region. Enjoy! It's a beautiful time to be there.

https://www.trails.com/stateactivity.aspx?area=10017
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I have two weeks to spend in Colorado the first of Sept, and I'm looking for ideas for base camps. We will probably be driving up over Labor Day weekend, hopefully arriving about the time the holiday weekenders are leaving. I have been to most parts of Colorado at one time or another in my lifetime, but not recently in a RV. I was thinking about basically two locations, one SW, and one somewhere else. We like day trips, off road touring, hiking, and fishing. We don't mind (prefer) dry camping as long as we can have a night with FHU's every 4 - 5 days. Especially if it gets us into somewhere really special.
My guess you are good with Mountain driving?

With that as an assumption, I'll Name Drop - Pagosa Springs - Great area that will allow you to get used to the Mountains - Lake City - they have a CG just outside town and the Alpine Loop is to die for - Lakes - fishing - hiking and a chance to take pictures like you have in your PROFILE. From there to Ouray - Heaven - the Swiss Alps in Colorado - Hot springs - more trails - beautiful hikes and drives.

Now instead of heading south to Silverton look at heading up to Marble, Co - interesting little spot on the river more trails (Crystal Mills) Crested Butte - Maroon Bells - Aspen - Independence Pass - these are a few of the day trips, all these drives are just great with the Bonus of trails all over the places.

Now you may make the choice of heading south out of Ouray - Either Rt 550 through Silverton or Rt 145 that will take you pass telluride - Dunton and Rico.

That would be my choice - BUT - if there is any way you could time it for the last week of September you will not be disappointed

https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

Hope this is of some help - if you could get the whole month of September you might not ever go home.

BOL,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you both for the ideas. I have been to most of the areas mentioned, just not in an RV. I doubt we will try to go as far north as RMNP, but we have done some extensive hiking there in the past.

Busskipper, the Lake City/Ouray area is on my list. Now I just need to find a couple perfect places to camp. I would like to be along a creek or river and not be squeezed in too tightly with other RV's.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you both for the ideas. I have been to most of the areas mentioned, just not in an RV. I doubt we will try to go as far north as RMNP, but we have done some extensive hiking there in the past.

Busskipper, the Lake City/Ouray area is on my list. Now I just need to find a couple perfect places to camp. I would like to be along a creek or river and not be squeezed in too tightly with other RV's.

Any suggestions?
I'm really not one to recommend camp grounds - as we really are not that interested or care where we stay but - https://bit.ly/1TmIf9m - this map shows whats there - Lake City, CG's - and having fallen in Love with the Town and the Trails/Mountains I doubt you will make a bad decision.

You might also look at the Navajo Reservoir - Arboles, CO - heard some good fish stories there, and it's on the way to the San Juan's, nice little CG on the Lake.

https://bit.ly/1TmIGjY

My Toad is an MDX and after driving it on the trails I am seriously looking at a Lifted Jeep, so as to be able to do more - Just the Most Beautiful Area we have ever Been!

Enjoy your time in Colorado, I am flying out to be with the Grand daughters tomorrow - Heaven!

Busskipper

Old 05-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Alpen Rose RV in Durango might fit your needs. It's near a mighty fine trout stream and also Haviland Lake is nearby with good fishing. http://www.alpenroservpark.com/
Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have read a lot of good things about Alpen Rose. I'm looking at a NF campground outside Durango called Junction Creek. It has some electric only sites and looks pretty nice. Plus DW gets us in for 1/2 price. There's another NF campground between Carbondale and Marble called Bogan Flats. They have some large sites along the Crystal River, but dry camping only.

My plan at this time is to do several days in the forest, with a download day with full hookups in between. Right now it is looking like Durango to Marble then somewhere a little more southeast TBD. I am pretty comfortable driving in the mountains of NM and AZ. How will the drive be over Red Mountain from Durango to Ouray, in 45' with toad? Also, does anybody know about Hwy 133 from Delta to Carbondale? I don't mind slow, because I am not moving too many miles in between stops, once I hit CO.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
I have read a lot of good things about Alpen Rose. I'm looking at a NF campground outside Durango called Junction Creek. It has some electric only sites and looks pretty nice. Plus DW gets us in for 1/2 price. There's another NF campground between Carbondale and Marble called Bogan Flats. They have some large sites along the Crystal River, but dry camping only.

My plan at this time is to do several days in the forest, with a download day with full hookups in between. Right now it is looking like Durango to Marble then somewhere a little more southeast TBD. I am pretty comfortable driving in the mountains of NM and AZ. How will the drive be over Red Mountain from Durango to Ouray, in 45' with toad? Also, does anybody know about Hwy 133 from Delta to Carbondale? I don't mind slow, because I am not moving too many miles in between stops, once I hit CO.
133 will be no problem - good road beautiful drive - should be good fishing all along there - when we get into these areas every thing is just great - problem I have is the sights are so good you just want to move there.

Crystal Mill might be worth the jeep rental, if you are so inclined.

Like your plan, just be sure to take pictures and share after the trip.

BOL,
Old 05-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:

Since you're up for a forest service campground you might also consider Haviland Lake national forest campground just north of Alpen Rose RV north of Durango. That's where we always stay with our 40' MH. The sites we like, in order of preference, are 41, 20, 21, 40, 11, 10, 12. These are reservable and have electric. Some sites are not reservation and our favorite is 22, pulling in forward.

We've stayed at Bogan Flats and it's o.k., not a favorite of ours.

We've also driven Red Mtn. Hwy with our MH pulling the Jeep from Durango to Ouray often. It's very doable for us but then we enjoy mountain driving. It all depends on you. Many folks won't do it.

If you're going that way and passing right through Silverton, I'd highly suggest staying at South Minearal Creek BLM right on the creek about a mile off pavement on a smooth, wide, flat gravel road. Come with full water and empty tanks. We can last two weeks and it gives us many enjoyable Jeeping days!
Old 05-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Freecampsites.net

I use it all the time here in Colorado. I'm lucky enough to be a native and still live here. My favorite area is Buena Vista. Clear Creek Reservoir has free dispersed creek side camping at the lakes inlet.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh jesus I just noticed you drive a mansion. Forget that places. It's to narrow and a touch rough for that bigboy. People slowly drag 5th wheels into the area, but you have to have spotters walk along.

Here is a link and some pics...

https://freecampsites.net/#!2446&query=sitedetails
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Since you're up for a forest service campground you might also consider Haviland Lake national forest campground just north of Alpen Rose RV north of Durango. That's where we always stay with our 40' MH. The sites we like, in order of preference, are 41, 20, 21, 40, 11, 10, 12. These are reservable and have electric. Some sites are not reservation and our favorite is 22, pulling in forward.

We've stayed at Bogan Flats and it's o.k., not a favorite of ours.

We've also driven Red Mtn. Hwy with our MH pulling the Jeep from Durango to Ouray often. It's very doable for us but then we enjoy mountain driving. It all depends on you. Many folks won't do it.

If you're going that way and passing right through Silverton, I'd highly suggest staying at South Minearal Creek BLM right on the creek about a mile off pavement on a smooth, wide, flat gravel road. Come with full water and empty tanks. We can last two weeks and it gives us many enjoyable Jeeping days!
Intersting that you bring up South Mineral Creek. I stayed there two times as a child. Once with my parents and once with my grandparents, both times in my grandparents '66 16' Cardinal. It left a lasting impression on me. Do you think we can get in there with our MADP?

We have changed course a little and will be going to Priest Gulch for 3 days after Durango. It looks like our kind of place. After that, it is still TBD.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Intersting that you bring up South Mineral Creek. I stayed there two times as a child. Once with my parents and once with my grandparents, both times in my grandparents '66 16' Cardinal. It left a lasting impression on me. Do you think we can get in there with our MADP?

We have changed course a little and will be going to Priest Gulch for 3 days after Durango. It looks like our kind of place. After that, it is still TBD.
Yes, you can definitely park your MH there. There are no hills to gets there - approx. 3/4 mi to 1 mi off the main paved road out of town on 550. It's a wide gravel hard-packed road. Parking is on a huge open flat space. As you're driving to it you'll probably notice smaller RV tucked in spaces along the road. Keep going until you see the 'official' spot with a huge sign and a vault toilet. If you're uncomfortable, unhook your Jeep in town and take it to scout for the site. Look at the photos on this description. The one taken through the windshield has been our view many times:

https://freecampsites.net/#!8798&query=sitedetails

Note, also, that at the end of the gravel road about 4 mi. is an national forest 'campground' with designated sites. That's not what you want and you won't fit there. The BLM site is much closer to the paved road.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Yes, you can definitely park your MH there. There are no hills to gets there - approx. 3/4 mi to 1 mi off the main paved road out of town on 550. It's a wide gravel hard-packed road. Parking is on a huge open flat space. As you're driving to it you'll probably notice smaller RV tucked in spaces along the road. Keep going until you see the 'official' spot with a huge sign and a vault toilet. If you're uncomfortable, unhook your Jeep in town and take it to scout for the site. Look at the photos on this description. The one taken through the windshield has been our view many times:

https://freecampsites.net/#!8798&query=sitedetails

Note, also, that at the end of the gravel road about 4 mi. is an national forest 'campground' with designated sites. That's not what you want and you won't fit there. The BLM site is much closer to the paved road.
I'm pretty sure that we stayed at the NF site at the end of the road. I think I see where you are talking about. It refers to it as kendall campground? Thanks for the info. This may fill in some blanks for our itinerary. Did you by chance go up to Clear Lake?

Tags
colorado