Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
Quick caution - we stayed at Black Hawk for a couple of days in June. Temperature was nice but I was not comfortalbe at that altitude (9,000 I think). Now maybe if I stayed longer my body would have adjusted but altitude sickness is very uncomfortable and can be dangerous for some people. But I liked Colorado. jmo mark
X2. We were in Silverton, Co. in August (9,500 ft). Our stay was limited to 4 days because of a spike in blood pressure. I'm still recovering.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mountain Views RV Park and Resort in Creede, CO is about as good as it can get. We came here for a week in June and liked the park, weather and community so much we are staying until the end of Sep. Almost every day is a sweats and shorts kinda day. What makes this a destination park is the community of Creede. Truly amazing range of activities throughout the summer.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #17

A second on Mt. Views in Creede, very nice CG. I believe you can even buy a personal spot and rent it out if you aren't there.
However, there are several FS CGs around there and Lake City that are nice also, just no hookups.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #18

Lots of variables, including your definition of hot and cool. 6000-7000 is cooler than 3000-4000, but still hot in my book. In general most areas above 8,000 ft are cooler than most, most of the time. besides elevation you have big variations based on cloudy days vs bright clear sunny days; in the shade vs out in the full sun; in a windy spot vs no breeze at all; next to a cooling river or lake or out in an open field; etc. Also depends on the time of day, we have 25-35 degree swings in 24 hrs. I live at 8500 ft and it gets so cool overnight that it takes most of the morning to warm up. Some late afternoons in mid summer we get "hot" for a few hours, after needing a jacket all morning. "hot" around here is anything over 85, and of course there is almost no humidity. when we do have a "hot" afternoon, its easy to avoid by driving up one of the nearby mountains to 10,000 ft where its guaranteed to be 10 degrees cooler and usually a nice breeze to go with it.
Each year is slightly different as well. Some years we have a few summer weeks of unusually hot weather; some years we're looking for our down jacket mid summer. Last summer it rained here in the high country almost every other day all summer. This year we've had almost 0 rain. Some years in July or Aug when I'm hiking or ATV'ing up at 12,000 ft, I get snowed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
What elevation do I need to be at in the summer to be cool in Colorado????
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What campgrounds are recommended for several months in these 8000 foot elevation areas? We are wanting to escape the hot South Alabama summer.

We prefer adult oriented campgrounds if possible. We want to escape other peoples kids that some campgrounds cater to.
Shoot, once you get out of the humidity, any place will feel better. 90 degrees and low humidity is easily tolerated for those of us that live in humid areas.

Same for the OP.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Shoot, once you get out of the humidity, any place will feel better. 90 degrees and low humidity is easily tolerated for those of us that live in humid areas.
Exactly....humidity is what makes you wilt. The western states have a lot less humidity so you can tolerate warmer days better.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Especially in the shade.

Currently in Silver City, NM
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #22

very true. folks who only visit the high country occasionally need to be aware of 3 items that can impact your health up here.

1) as a result of the combined effect of breathing faster at altitude, the drier air and the more direct sun; dehydration comes on much quicker than it does at lower elevations. you need to force yourself to drink more water up here.
2) the sun gets much less filtering before it hits you up here. some studies say the impact of the sun and its UV rays are 25% stronger at 8500 ft. You need to be much more aware of sun protection, sun screen and wearing a hat and/or cover up clothing. even those who normally don't burn can get fried up here.
3) high altitude and its lower air pressure has an impact on certain body functions. most healthy adults will begin to feel the effects above 8,000 ft, sometimes lower, and a healthy body adjusts to it after a few days. Mountain climbers go well above 20,000 ft without any supplemental oxygen by going up slow and taking rest days to allow the body to adjust. The effects get exponentially stronger the higher you go. Those with some type of existing respiratory or pulmonary issues will feel the effects sooner and stronger. If you're coming up here from around sea level, take your time coming up. Its good to spend an over night around the front range (5,000 ft) before coming up to 8000 ft. Take it easy the first few days, drink lots of water, eat smaller meals and decrease your salt, liquor & caffeine intake.
There are some over the counter and prescription drugs that can reduce the uncomfortable effects of high altitude. But once you come down with real high altitude pulmonary edema, the only cure is going down to lower elevation and seeking medical treatment in some cases. When I was climbing high mountains around the world, I saw people lay down and die from altitude sickness. That was up over 20,000 ft on glaciers where help was days away. Physical fitness was never a very good predictor of who was going to get altitude sickness. Sometimes it was the fittest person in the group, a marathon runner, who came down with the worst case of altitude sickness, while those clearly less fit had limited issues with altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
X2. We were in Silverton, Co. in August (9,500 ft). Our stay was limited to 4 days because of a spike in blood pressure. I'm still recovering.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Check out Winding River Resort in Granby CO. Great park, and more importantly there are a multitude of things to do within three or four miles. I am a lifetime resident of the state and I have camped/RV'd in nearly every Colorado park or campground. I think the altitude question is a good one, most people talk about the tree line, I talk about the fly line. Always go high enough to escape the flies. In July/August, that might be as high as 10k. Let the "high" jokes begin....
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado