Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Colorado July 2017

Hi all,

We normally try to avoid making our month-long trip at this time of year, but circumstances beyond our control dictate our dates this year. Plan is to leave home Tuesday, July 27th and return sometime a month, or so, later.

I've been researching here and other RV forums as well as other internet sites and decided if we're doing this, it was time to commit. So I've made our first reservation - Glacier Basin CG in Rocky Mountain NP for July 18th & 19th. Have a nice-looking site in Loop A which I was thankful to get. Moraine had only single, scattered nights available. I wanted to secure a spot in RMNP first, and build our trip around that.

In September, 2011, on the way from Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons we spend a week on the western side. A night in Fruita to go to Colorado National Monument. The rest in Ouray to explore a bit. I know we only scratched the surface over there. So, although we want to concentrate more on the eastern side this trip, I'm open to suggestions for every part of the state.

Tom and I are reasonably fit for our ages(72&68) and love day hiking, photography, taking the Jeep on backroads, and getting away from crowds to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. Cities aren't our thing, although we do enjoy museums that focus on natural history, geology, early culture, etc.

I've gotten great advice here in the past (and hope I've given some, too, when able) so I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Should say ...leaving June 27th...
Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Since you have only two nights in Rocky Mtn. at Glacier (we volunteered there), I'd suggest you just stay around the campground area and do your hiking. Some of the best trails are nearby of all abilities in gorgeous country. Rocky Mtn. is a zoo so don't even try to venture down to Estes Park for a look-see. You will hardly be able to move!!

If you're not fearful of mountain driving and heights, and depending where you're heading after Rocky, drive west on Trail Ridge Road to get to the other side and continue your trip there. You'll have a lot less traffic to contend with. It's steep but many RVers drive it.... it just depends on your confidence and confidence with your RV on uphills.

With your 4x4 you'll love your stay in Ouray. Definitely drive down to Silverton and take some of the 4x4 trails. It's a beautiful place. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We'll be in Colorado in July as well. Didn't find availability inside RMNP so we'll be staying at Arapaho Bay, just south of RMNP, for six days while we explore the Park.

By the time you're there, though, we'll be down in Mesa Verde.

Have a great trip!
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We too will be spending the month of July in Colorado (we lived in Colorado for 20 years before moving away 12 years ago). We are starting in Durango for July 4th weekend and moving on from there. Not sure yet of plan or route but in Colorado you can't go wrong.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridafran View Post
Hi all,

We normally try to avoid making our month-long trip at this time of year, but circumstances beyond our control dictate our dates this year. Plan is to leave home Tuesday, July 27th and return sometime a month, or so, later.

I've been researching here and other RV forums as well as other internet sites and decided if we're doing this, it was time to commit. So I've made our first reservation - Glacier Basin CG in Rocky Mountain NP for July 18th & 19th. Have a nice-looking site in Loop A which I was thankful to get. Moraine had only single, scattered nights available. I wanted to secure a spot in RMNP first, and build our trip around that.

In September, 2011, on the way from Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons we spend a week on the western side. A night in Fruita to go to Colorado National Monument. The rest in Ouray to explore a bit. I know we only scratched the surface over there. So, although we want to concentrate more on the eastern side this trip, I'm open to suggestions for every part of the state.

Tom and I are reasonably fit for our ages(72&68) and love day hiking, photography, taking the Jeep on backroads, and getting away from crowds to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. Cities aren't our thing, although we do enjoy museums that focus on natural history, geology, early culture, etc.

I've gotten great advice here in the past (and hope I've given some, too, when able) so I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.
Strated to read your post - and looked for my answer - not there. Oh It's on the other forum;-)

So reposting it here more not to confuse me than you,

Floridafrances wrote:

Hi all,

We normally try to avoid making our month-long trip at this time of year, but circumstances beyond our control dictate our dates this time. Plan is to leave home Tuesday, June 27th and return a month, or so, later.

............ - Glacier Basin CG in Rocky Mountain NP for July 18th & 19th. Have a nice-looking site in Loop A which I was thankful to get. .......... I wanted to secure a spot in RMNP first, and build our trip around that.

Tom and I are reasonably fit for our ages(72&68) and
love day hiking,
photography, taking the
Jeep on back roads (paved or not), and getting
away from crowds to enjoy the
scenery and wildlife.
Cities aren't our thing, although we do
enjoy museums that focus on
natural history,
geology,
early culture, etc.

I've gotten great advice here in the past (and hope I've given some, too, when able) so I'm looking forward to seeing your responses. And, yes, I'll be posting this in the "other" RV website forum.

As you've been to Ouray/Silverton/Lake City - I'll not re suggest it - BUT - everytime we go I start to work on the plan to get back.

Guessing you've already done Marble and Maroon Bells, Crystal Mill and Independence Pass. So I'll not push that.

So that Leaves Minturn to Red CLiff to Leadville - Turquoise Lake - The Town the Museums the 4X4 Trails the History, Quincy's and the fact that the Town is at 10,000' and it is July=Hot in Colorado - A great day trip is Independence Pass to Maroon Bells in the Toad - restricted - While on this Area, I'd Head down to the Collegiates/Buena Vista - Whitewater rafting - more trails and hikes than you can shake a stick at, along with the New National Monument - Browns Canyon plus the back road to Crested Butte. This area is just filled with great drives/hikes in the Collegiates, lakes, streams Beaver Dams........................

So if the list you posted is accurate, and if you spend a few days in RMNP - then a few days on Peak to Peak, go through Eisenhower Tunnel and then Past Vail to RT 24 Minturn/Red Cliff and on over towards Leadville (possible stop on RT 24 at Camp Hale) I think you will be pretty Happy with your trip to Colorado this Year.

Now the issue is - when will you come back and really enjoy the State - so much more to see - but just never enough TIME.

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A quick update and thanks for the replies so far.

We had already planned to go somewhere to watch the solar eclipse on August 21st and decided it made sense to combine the two trips into one. That meant leaving in mid-July instead of late June. And that meant changing our reservations in RMNP. Got lucky, actually luckier, because I was able to get 3 nights in the Park this time - August 7-9 (Mon-Wed).

I know it will be hot, but we have to a least stop long enough to see Great Sand Dunes NP (beach people like us can't pass up a good sand dune, much less a great one). Then we'd like to spend some time in the area of Salida, Buena Vista, Leadville before heading on up to RMNP.

Our nephew, who went to college in Gunnison and lived in Fairplay for years, is supposed to supply us with some of his favorite 4x4 routes, but other ideas are more than welcome.

Way more to see and do than we have time for, but I save all the comments I get for a specific area and refer back to them on subsequent trips.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
If you are going to gunnison, I would recommend a trail you will never forget.Engineer pass trail. Runs between Lake City to Ouray, co.Pick up a map at the ranger station.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wherever you go in Colorado and Jeeping is on your agenda, check out traildamage.com for ideas on which trails you might be interested in. The trails are all rated so you can pick ones suited to your level of ability. There are so many around Salida!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #10
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME for Maine View Post
Wherever you go in Colorado and Jeeping is on your agenda, check out traildamage.com for ideas on which trails you might be interested in. The trails are all rated so you can pick ones suited to your level of ability. There are so many around Salida!
Great tip on the website Mike - Thanks!
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I was able to get us one night at the USFS Silver Queen CG in the Maroon Bells after we leave RMNP. So hope to get to see more in that general area before we head out to watch the eclipse somewhere.

Thanks again for your great suggestions.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
If you're into 'early culture' then you should hit Mesa Verde which you can visit after a hair-raising ride down 550!

My son is NPS law enforcement officer there so make sure you watch your speed in Mesa Verde!! LOL
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Have decided I was trying to cram too much into too little time. A bad habit of mine - I want to see it all, now. But I was making myself crazy trying to figure out how many nights here? How many there? What will we have to cut out, best routing, etc., etc.

So... I've decided, reluctantly, to pare down the scope of this trip. But there's just so much I want us to do in Colorado between the New Mexico and Wyoming state lines along the "eastern" Rockies. We'll just have come back again to see The Maroon Bells, Hanging Lake, and all the other wonderful places in that area. I'm fairly certain we can "force ourselves" to do that. ;-)

I'm sure this will give us a much more relaxed and enjoyable visit.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

We've stayed twice at Snowy Peaks in Buena Vista and will stay there again if in the area - here is my blog review: Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 51-52 – Our Last Day In Buena Vista & Snowy Peaks Review
We also stayed at Mesa Campground in Gunnison and here are my blog comments: Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 33-43 – Mesa Campground
We went to the high country to beat our TN summer heat and were not disappointed.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado