Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
From 1987 to 1993 we drove several times a year to Monarch Pass Colorado, elevation 11732 feet. Never had a problem. We parked daily in the parking lot at the lodge. Monarch is not a big name ski area, but has great skiing. Lots of deep powder.

Gene @ Alice Ivy 2007 Monaco Dynasty, 2012 Wrangler
ivykrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
90% of the time no problems, it's that 10% that get you. We try to avoid the roads during inclement weather. The risk is too high. Good powder on the other hand justifies a lot of risk.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #17
Wow Gene, I still have bad dreams of driving Monarch Pass in the winter. You must have come from the Salida side, where the weather is a lot milder than the Gunnison side. No way I would drive that in a motorhome! But you are correct, Monarch is a great place to ski, and hardly ever gets too crowded! It's one of the closest Colorado ski areas to Texas, so they get a lot of Texans there.
Jeff, Catherine and Turner|2008 Damon Outlaw 3611|W24 w/ 8.1L Chevy hauling in the garage 3 quads,2 dirtbikes,1 Rzr900xp & 1 sewing machine based in central AZ
JeffAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #18
I have another New Mexico suggestion. We have used our motorhomes to ski with in several slopes in the east and have flown to most of the Colorado slopes. One of our best trips was to Red River, New Mexico 4 years ago. The slopes and lifts end in downtown Red River and there were 2 or 3 RV Parks close to the slopes with full hookups, including water at each site that could be used for filling tanks. There are buses that came through our park, which was right along the river, and provided transportation to the slopes if needed. We drove to the lifts up town and were able to park very close to them. A couple of days less than 200 ft. from it. Red River is a very neat ski town.

Red River is north of the Taos ski area, I believe on the back side of the Taos range. As has been mentioned, be sure your RV can handle very cold temps. It was -22 several mornings while we were there. We have used motorhomes for skiing for several years so have covered most of the bases for avoiding freezing of water in the rig.

This trip took us 5 days to get there from North Carolina as we had to stop on a couple or occasions due to snow. Good luck and hope you have a great ski trip!
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
Toad - 2016 Ford F150 Lariat 4X4
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #19
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Thank you! We didn't make it to the Maritimes. The distance from the West didn't appeal to us although we've been to the eastern lower 48. We felt we covered our bucket list in many other ways. We had an awesome 16 years of traveling and full-timing. If you could see my original road atlas which I saved over the years and look at the highlighted roads we've taken, it's difficult to find a road we haven't been on. We love secondary roads for travel.

By the way, we were in Arizona's White Mountains this summer trying to stay cool. Sorry the skiing didn't work for you there.

What a great idea! I need to find my highlighter.
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #20
Tiger Run Breckenridge...check it out
2 leopards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #21
Thanks for all the good information.
charliej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been to Tiger Run several times in the winter, most recently over 12/26-1/3. I would allow 2 days flexibility on each end in case of a storm, we left a day early due to predicted storm. Staying warm wasn't a problem in my unit, but you should do some research on this forum, a lot of great information for cold weather. Heated hose, use fresh water tank, draining the sewer hose completely, auxiliary heat in water compartment, etc.

You will want a snow shovel, push broom etc. You also need to understand condensation issues in the winter, venting while showering, cooking etc. I kept our ski clothes and equipment in our trailer which is insulated and I was able to keep about 50 degrees in -15 weather.

If your tanks are not in the compartment, I would not try Christmas for sure, you might get by with it at Thanksgiving, but I would definitely put windshield wiper fluid in your holding tanks (cheaper the RV antifreeze) so your valves and contents don't freeze.

Tiger Runs fresh water supply is below ground, so with heated hose you can fill fresh water and use your tank. It is very doable if your coach is properly equipped.
As an alternative, Tiger Run has Chalet's to rent as well.

Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

colorado, rvs