Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Colorado Springs

Planning on being there a few days over Memorial weekend. Any recommendations on campgrounds in the area that you have enjoyed?
The state park south of town is already full. Looking at Garden of the Gods RV Resort on the west side of town. Any thoughts will help.

thanks a lot

Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #2

Driven by there many times, mostly full timers and would not recommend that park. Are you retired military? If so there is the AF Academy. there is a nice RV park down Highway 115 south of Cheyenne Mt SP called Mountiandale cabins and rv park. Maybe 15 miles or so from Colorado Springs, nice setting in the trees too!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

I live a few miles from Garden of the Gods RV Resort and would camp there if I was visiting CS.As you know this cg is on the WestSide and very assessable to I-25,Garden of the Gods, hwy 24 west to the mts ect.Colorado Springs is a great place to visit and don't forget to bring your chap stick.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
and a small vehicle to drive thru
Garden Of The Gods | Home
my rv didn't fit when we went years ago
Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget to drive up Pikes Peak with the toad! 14,110 feet in elevation. Great views.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

Pikes Peak RV park in Manitou Springs is smaller but a great place to use for seeing all of that area such as Pikes Peak, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Royal Gorge, Colorado Wolf Education Center. They actually take you in a pen with wolves and you get to interact with them. It was the highlight of our trip for my wife. Ask about the wolf kisses. Great people.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #7

We stayed at Garden of the Gods CG a number of years ago and really enjoyed it. Friendly and clean. Participated in some of the community events meals and barbeques. Very convenient to site seeing for going west and sout on day trips as well as Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods. I would go back. Not sure how that area was affected by the forest fires a couple of summers ago but...
CanadianCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at Garden of Gods in the summer of 2012 and liked it. I would have no problem staying there again. As for size, we travel in a 41 ft, plus toad and had no problem getting in or out.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
We stayed at Garden of Gods in the summer of 2012 and liked it. I would have no problem staying there again. As for size, we travel in a 41 ft, plus toad and had no problem getting in or out.
I am assuming JohnBoyToo's reference to size was in reference to the God of the Gods park itself not the campground. You do not want a large vehicle to go through Garden of the God with tight turns between rocks etc. As fro the campground we where 53 feet long with truck and 31 foot trailer.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Correct, sorry for the ambiguity
I was referring to the city park itself - it has a pass that was way too small for our rv at the time...

the rv park was fine....

My daughter had an invitation to play in the pikes peak invitational soccer tourney so we made it a 2 week thing - wonderful !

even got to play golf on the air force academy since one of the dad's was high ranking retired air force - I had to choke down on 9 irons for 200 yard shots !!!!! and got a short tour of Cheyenne mountain ! good memories !

Thanks, had forgotten about it...
maybe cuz the girls lost the first two games because they weren't acclimated to the elevation !
Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #11

We drove a Class C through many years ago, and there were short bypass roads around the tight sections. Surely, there is a website for the Garden of the Gods that has current driving information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCrew View Post
... You do not want a large vehicle to go through Garden of the Gods with tight turns between rocks etc....

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote