Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Colorado State Parks - pay WHAT?

Wow. I think some of these state parks are losing their collective minds! We wanted to book a site at Chatfield SP in Littleton CO. Ok, $220 for a week of camping, FHU, in June, no problem...after all, its Colorado. But then, $70 for an annual state park pass. Ok, Ok, no problem got it, $290 for the week. Now...$70 for ANOTHER annual state park pass...because now, ALL vehicles, towed, motorized or motorhomes must process the pass (sticker). (In 2013, you didn't disconnect your towed until your site, you didn't need the other sticker, changed in 2014 I'm told). That brings your week of camping to $360. There are resorts not trying to charge that amount for a FHU site.

New Mexico: prices for camping are very reasonable. $18-22 a night. No problem. But then you must purchase a camping permit...at $225 a year. No other options according to their website. Say WHAT? This information cannot be correct, yet it is what is on their websites (or in the case of CO, Reserve America).

Anyone else out there seeing this?

fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TERRIBLE PRICING. Try Michigan State parks. I boycott them. Same rules as CO but sites are electric only WHAT? Yep. Water at the dump station. This is so convenient, dump and get water at the same place. Don't get me wrong, I love Michigan, just not the state park system.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't go to where I feel I'm being taken advantage of.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #4

In Colorado you need a pass for your vehicle and all towed trailers, campers, & vehicles are free if in towed when entering the park.

For those that tow in a toad for driving around town when camping they offer a FREE towed vehicle pass, so you can come and go in the toad while camping.

Here is a link on the facts:

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Page...sPassInfo.aspx
Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
This information cannot be correct, yet it is what is on their websites (or in the case of CO, Reserve America).

Anyone else out there seeing this?
Reserve America is the big part of the problem. They've got a monopoly on the parks in a lot of states.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
In New Mexico what you read is true. You don't have to buy a yearly pass to camp but if you do a lot of State Park camping it's worth it. Most of the Parks charge $14 a night with Electricity and $10 a night without. Very few have water and sewer at the site, but it's available on the campground. If your a senior resident the yearly pass is only around $100 but you still pay $4 a night for electric hookups. At these prices they limit your stay to 14 days then you have to move. The parks are clean and well managed by Rangers but not in any way high end. We go to them a lot so buy the yearly pass. They don't charge extra for a towed vehicle and allow you to unhitch it and use it during your stay. Most of the parks are on a River or Man Made Lake, so it's worth crossing the border from Co. or AZ. if you can.

Dick
Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

I see no problem with this policy if the campground offers what I want. I have paid up to $62.00, a night at private campgrounds last year. Nothing in life is free and we need to support the people working for a living. This is a hobby that we have chosen and hobbies do cost money.

I am retired and will pay what it cost to do the things that I want to do.

Now if you really want to complain about camping cost try the Albuquerque Balloon Feast; prices run from $35 a night for boondocking on site to $175 a night for water and 30 amp electric site with a pump-out being an additional cost. Now this is expensive camping!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by elundquist View Post
In Colorado you need a pass for your vehicle and all towed trailers, campers, & vehicles are free if in towed when entering the park.

For those that tow in a toad for driving around town when camping they offer a FREE towed vehicle pass, so you can come and go in the toad while camping.

Here is a link on the facts:

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Park Entrance Pass Information
Not any longer apparently....now towed vehicles pay also, they are no longer free and they do not give a "free" pass on toad's. Here is phrasing from State Park website:

Camping fees do not include the cost of a park pass. Every vehicle entering the park, including RVs and towed vehicles, must have a park pass for each day they are in the park. Max height at Deer Creek Entrance is 13 feet. Vehicles of greater height must use Plum Creek Entrance. Visitors with camping units pulling storage trailers/ boats may need to park their trailers in a nearby parking lot (Lakeview Parking Lot).
Some sites are equipped with tent pads.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Reserve America is the big part of the problem. They've got a monopoly on the parks in a lot of states.
They just charge the reservation fee of $6...they have nothing to do with the "annual permits", stamps, or other fees the park charges. In fact, you have to go to the CO website to buy your vehicle passes, you cannot purchase them on RA. The state sets their own prices....
Old 01-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
Not any longer apparently....now towed vehicles pay also, they are no longer free and they do not give a "free" pass on toad's. Here is phrasing from State Park website:

Camping fees do not include the cost of a park pass. Every vehicle entering the park, including RVs and towed vehicles, must have a park pass for each day they are in the park. Max height at Deer Creek Entrance is 13 feet. Vehicles of greater height must use Plum Creek Entrance. Visitors with camping units pulling storage trailers/ boats may need to park their trailers in a nearby parking lot (Lakeview Parking Lot).

Some sites are equipped with tent pads.

Well if you want to buy a pass for your trailer, camper, or toad that's fine with me! These fees directly support our parks and wildlife here in Colorado.

If I had a motor home and towing a toad I would just get the daily FREE towed vehicle pass for the toad as I left the park for the day.

Yes what you stated above is true "Every vehicle entering the park, including RVs and towed vehicles, must have a park pass for each day they are in the park". But dose not state you must BUY a pass, you just need to have a pass.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, thank you elundquist....you might have hit on something here. In researching the link you posted, verses what was on the parks' website and confirmation letter, there is a wording discrepancy. Yes, all vehicles must have a park pass....however, it DOESN"T clearly state you must purchase one, you opened up a new brain path. The person at the park "misunderstood" the question and thinks you are right, but now I'm waiting until tomorrow to call the park directly and speak with someone in authority to get question cleared up. If they DO have a free pass for "vehicles under tow"...then the lady who said it changed in 2015 was dead on wrong.... If that's the case, then their fees are absolutely within reason. I'd rather just pay $50 a night for the camping space and not be nickeled and dimed to death, you know?

Jim: Thanks for your input. This is not a "hobby" for us...this is a lifestyle choice. As full-timers and like most people, we have a budget, but I can tell you we spent over $20K on parks, tourism, tours, park passes, entertainment and dining last year in our travels around the US. I've paid $60 a night too when needed but hey, I want to keep a little budget to spend on the economy too eh? No, I don't and won't pay $175 a night for an RV space. We don't go where everyone else is trying to get to. We always support local and state parks first, then national, then private parks as price and space allows in the area we're in. ;-)
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I see no problem with this policy if the campground offers what I want. I have paid up to $62.00, a night at private campgrounds last year. Nothing in life is free and we need to support the people working for a living. This is a hobby that we have chosen and hobbies do cost money.

I am retired and will pay what it cost to do the things that I want to do.

Now if you really want to complain about camping cost try the Albuquerque Balloon Feast; prices run from $35 a night for boondocking on site to $175 a night for water and 30 amp electric site with a pump-out being an additional cost. Now this is expensive camping!
In 1997 we paid $67 a night for two people in a 27' Type C MH at a KOA and there were so many mosquitoes we couldn't even stay outside around a fire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
We lived in Denver for 20 years and this summer we wanted to stay a week or so and see friends. Not only are there not any RV parks with vacancies, but the locals now stay home to go camping and book a year in advance. With that kind of demand I guess they can charge what every they want.

The Western Slope was totally different, $28, a night including parks passes, full hookups on paved sites. The month of Aug was free Parks passes for any Military, past or present. Campground Details - James M Robb-Colorado River State Park-Fruita Section, CO - ReserveAmerica
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

It irks me that some states charge a camping fee, and then charge for a park pass, especially if you are just passing through. Why do I need to buy a pass (annual or otherwise) if I'm only there one or two nights? I think it would be better to have two rates - A rate for those that have a pass and one for those that don't.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado