Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Colorado trails/off road question

Trip planning for July trip through CO. with maybe a week or 10 day stop over. We've been several times and done all the easy stuff. I've taken up photography as my 5th or 6th hobby and though I would get more rural this time in the Rockies. I'm reading a lot about the trails and roads for 4X4s so what I'm wondering is how many are suitable for my 4X6 dually truck. Are they all for ATVs or "built" jeeps? Are they marked as to what they are suitable for or is there a map or web site to help me sort them out. I have no reservations yet but thinking the west side somewhere around Ouray or Lake city for a home base and explore from there. Open for suggestions and info. Thank you.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We wondered the same things when we went last year - not about a dually, but trail rating...
They really do a good job of rating them because they are so much FUN !!!

Here tis
Old 06-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Since you're staying in Ouray, I'd call these guys. They can point you in the right direction. Some trails will not accommodate a Dually. Ouray has a Jeep rental outfit in town. That's what i'd do.

4x4 & OHV

Have fun!!!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
Trip planning for July trip through CO. with maybe a week or 10 day stop over. We've been several times and done all the easy stuff. I've taken up photography as my 5th or 6th hobby and though I would get more rural this time in the Rockies. I'm reading a lot about the trails and roads for 4X4s so what I'm wondering is how many are suitable for my 4X6 dually truck. Are they all for ATVs or "built" jeeps? Are they marked as to what they are suitable for or is there a map or web site to help me sort them out. I have no reservations yet but thinking the west side somewhere around Ouray or Lake city for a home base and explore from there. Open for suggestions and info. Thank you.
Your Dully will make it on the easy stuff but before you head out check with the Locals - they know the trails.

Here is a good resource for you on Travel Photo's -

Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com -

Stan is great and is the best organized out there (JMHO)

Jon has some very professional shots also - just follow his travels -

Jon Vermilye's Travel, Photography & RV Website

One more source of Info is 4runnerguy -

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...8.cfm#29285228

Follow his threads and just learn where all the wild and beautiful places are.

Hope this helps,

Best of Luck, and remember to share your Photo's,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

This book will give you a pretty good idea of what trails you can do.

https://www.funtreks.com/guide-to-co...ls-3rd-edition

https://www.funtreks.com/waterproof-...city-telluride

You will most likely be able to find this book in one of the tourist traps in the area as it is very popular.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

I have been going to Ouray, Lake City and the Creede area for the last 15 years. I would not attempt any of the 4 WD Trails in this area of Colorado with a dually. It is to wide and probably to long to make the switch backs.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and there are switch backs that are tight for me where I have to back up, pull forward, back up, pulled forward multiple times. Also there are some trails where the trail is extremely narrow to the point where two Wranglers cannot even pass each other. There have been multiple times where I've have had to back up a couple hundred feet to allow another wrangler to pass.

Once you start many of these trails you are committed with no turning back for 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile even a mile. Turns arounds are far and few. You do not want to get stuck on one of these trails. On many of these trails you are also going to need 4Lo to creep down a hill and need a locking rear axle.

If it was me, I would rent a Jeep or ATV so I could enjoy the scenery and trail and not have to worry about getting stuck on a trail where I could not get out of the situation.

Just my two cents

Greg
Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #7

I'll second GREG950's above post. Your truck is too wide for the Ouray/Silverton trails. Rent a Jeep instead.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #8

I have a dually and I use to trailer my side by side to Colorado . Wouldn't take anything bigger than a jeep on the trails. Taylor Park is a great area and you can rent an ATV
kyfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Colorado is asking that you buy a permit now also.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Colorado is asking that you buy a permit now also.
A permit, for the trails? Is there nothing the politicians won't tax? I thought a lot of those trails were on federal land.

Oh well, based on the responses above I guess I better stay on the roads or rent a Jeep. Or, I could try hiking. I just want to see the sights and get some pictures. Anyway, thank y'all for the responses.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Vehicle is just to big in my opinion. Especially depending where you are going. Black Bear pass and Imogene pass you are just too wide and too big.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 PM   #12

Greg's 2 cents is all you need. Heed the warning. I live in Lake City and can tell you that you don't want to try it on a wide vehicle. We use to take an army truck full of kids up to American Basin from Lake City. That's not too bad but it is narrow. The switchbacks from Animas Forks to Engineer pass are much too tight. Even with a Chevy Suburban or standard pickup you have to work the turns. They're too long. Fun on a dirtbike though. That's how I like to do it.
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

OK, y'all. I gots it, I will not clog up the "trails" with my big azzed dually.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been on several trails around Silverton and Ouray. I would not want to take on dually on most of these trails. But I have seen several sight seeing operations take dually trucks on some of trails. The back of the trucks are open beds with bench seats. They haul several people at once for scenic tours. You might ask one of these tour companies which roads they recommend.

Regards, Jerry

Tags
colorado