Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #1

Cook Forest Pennsylvania

Greetings, we are planning a family trip to visit relatives in Clarion PA from around July 5-25. Originally, I was planning to park our rig at a family's house, but the more I think about it, the more I would prefer to find a full-hook up site somewhere. Cook Forest state park looks great, but not too many full-hookup sites available for those dates.

Anyone got some recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Most of the private campgrounds are rather difficult to use. I have stayed a Kalumet and it was OK with some issues. Pine sap, rough uneven site, and the need to use extreme lengths of electrical and water hookups were the issues.
Cook Forest Camping | Kalyumet Camping & Cabins | Lucinda, PA

Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, they did add some full service sites to the Cook Forest State Park Campground about 2 years ago. IF you want to be "IN THE PARK" Cook is it. Kalyumet is a good 10 minute drive to the park / Clarion River.

Another option is a few more miles up stream ( eastward) on the Clarion to the Clear Creek State Park area. There you have the campsites at Clear Creek State Park right on the river, Campers Paradise Campground about a mile from Clear Creek. If your family lives on the western side of Clarion, Clear Creek area is not much farther.

Clear Creek pics

Cook Forest pics

More Cook & Clear Creek pics

Have spend many weeks camping here in the last 25 years.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

I live about a half hour from Cook Forest and have been there countless times - although never to camp.

I do love the area, but always felt it wasn't ideal for camping as it gets pretty crowded in the summer. I love to find the more remote areas of Cook Forest for hiking and I love kayaking there - but I go further up river and avoided the crowded river area right in the Cook Forest area.

I would, however, definitely recommend Clear Creek. It isn't too far from Cook Forest and it is so much quieter and beautiful and not commercial or cheesy. I have been looking myself at camping there along the river this summer.

2005 Honda Pilot
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #5

Thanks, we are still looking for a place with full hook ups where we can stay for 3 weeks, hard to find!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes it gets a little crowded there, but the area is so big I have never felt of it being overly crowded.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

Hi Everyone: So, we ended up at Rustic Acres RV in Shippenville. So far so good. Our site is not super level and the 30 amp outlet did not work, BUT, the people here have been amazing!!! We ended up with a month rental on the lot after they told us it would SAVE us money. We got 3 more weeks to go, but I am very happy now despite just having 20 amp power (and tripping the breaker).

More after the trip.

Cheers