Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Corp Campgrounds

I just purchased a book that lists all Corp of Engineers campgrounds the author deems suitable for RVs. In her forward she claims that unless otherwise posted, Corp campgrounds are generally suitable for big rigs. In scanning the book, there are some with stated length limits, but none are listed for the vast majority.

We have no experience with Corp campgrounds, in spite of our 30 years enjoying various RVs, from the pop up we first rented, up to the 43' MH we expect to take delivery of sometime in October (will be our full time rig).

For those of you that have Corp campground experience, is the author telling it straight? Are most Corp campgrounds big rig friendly? My definition of big rig friendly is: Site is both large enough to set up 'camp', and reasonably level. Access roads are not fraught with safety hazards or tree limbs waiting to damage the RV.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The two I have stayed at are very accommodating to large RV units. Tionesta and Shenango in NW. PA. Tionesta has all full service sites. Another one I stayed at (Loleta) in North Central PA. has a few sites for large MH's and the rest 30' or less.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #3

Based on the Corps campgrounds that I have been in (FL, GA, SC, TX) there will be at least some sites that will handle a big rig. And there will be some smaller sites or sites with overhanging tree limbs. You may not always have a wide open spot available but there will be a few spots (filled) in the campground. You chose a big rig, you have to learn to live with the limitations of such and face the fact that there will be times when you have to choose another places to stay. I'm not being nasty but just stating a fact. We have a 22 ft RV and have to still watch the tree limbs in the site. But we watch the tree limbs everywhere. We also have a 40 ft bus. yes that will involve making some changes as to site choice but we won't be too worried about the height since we won't have anything on the roof except some low profile boat vents.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the responses.

Since our first trade 'up' to a larger rig (our first post pop up was a 15' ancient Shasta TT) we've recognized that every extra foot meant some of our favorite campsites may no longer be workable for us, and at some point, whole campgrounds become off limits. We've had long discussions each time. Each 'new' rig was to meet our ever changing expectations and desires for comfort and convenience while traveling. We,ve also found, so far, that we had no problem finding new facilities and areas to explore. With 30 years of RV travel under our belts, we fully appreciate the pros and cons of larger vs smaller, more 'conveniences' vs more primative.

I invested all of $20 in the Corp Camping book, always being on the lookout for more possibilities. The question was not to solicit a disertation on the pros and cons of one size vs another, but to concede that we've decided to 'go big', and asking for information from the very helpful members of this site to suppliment that included in the book I bought. Both of you have helped in that regard. Thank you.

There must be more IRV2 members with Corp Campground experience??
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 09-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Corps Campground, Indian Creek on Mark Twain Lake in NE Missouri should accomadate you. I was there last week & the sites were large, paved, about 3/4 of the 90 sites with full hookup, appeared to be level, and easy route into the recreation area from the main highway. About 5 miles. Albiet we were there in our 2 man tent, but there were several large rvs there also. This was a very nice campground.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
The two I have stayed at are very accommodating to large RV units. Tionesta and Shenango in NW. PA. Tionesta has all full service sites. Another one I stayed at (Loleta) in North Central PA. has a few sites for large MH's and the rest 30' or less.
Tionesta brings back a lot of memories. My parents used to take us there a couple times each year when I was growing up. We stayed at what I think was the corps of engineers campground near the resivour. just out of downtown by the damn. We would take our boat & waterski.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

If you come out west, Charbonneau State Park (which is a COE park under the umbrella of the Washington State system) is a gorgeous place. Big rigs are no problem - many of the sites are pull-through.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is a few pix's to bring back memories of Tionesta in NW. PA... Tionesta Pixs

I was able to put my kayak in near the outflow area of the river and take it out where it dumps into the Allegheny River.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Here is a few pix's to bring back memories of Tionesta in NW. PA... Tionesta Pixs

I was able to put my kayak in near the outflow area of the river and take it out where it dumps into the Allegheny River.
Thats the campground I remember. But the roads were dirt back then. Mid 60's into the early 70's. My parents now live in a small campground (Clarks) between there & Oil City.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We were just in that area last weekend. (Franklin PA.) We stayed at Seneca Hills Bible Camp with some other campers from Grove City PA. All I know is, every time they rang the dinner bell at the dining hall "we came-a-run-in". Seneca Hills has been a camp for 75 years.....
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Where do you find the book listing the parks?

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
Where do you find the book listing the parks?

Mark
I had seen it reviewed on one of the club sites. I found it on Amazon. The title is: "Corps Camping", by Jane Kenny. Be sure to get the second edition, published earlier this year. It lists all the parks the author deemed appropriate for RVs, gives a brief description of what the popular activities are and lists the services available.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #13

We camp in Corp parks a lot. Mostly here in TX. The sites we've been in will handle big rigs. Our TT is 30 ft plus the TV (20 ft). All the parks we've been in have paved roads and good restooms. I purchased a book with the Corp Parks listed across the US. I't called "Camping with the Corps", unfortunately, I don't remmember the author's name. I got it at Camping World (not expensive). It;'s a great guide for Corp camping.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #14

You can also get the info online. But we still bought the "camping with the Corps" book too. Using it, I found a Corp campground outside of Ft Worth. Nice place but would have been better if not so hot (July 2009). We like the Corps campgrounds. I wasn't trying to say anything about the size of rig you have. just pointing out that you can probably still get into a Corps campground but occasionally you won't. MOST of the Corps parks seem to be under used to me (except for holiday weekends). I think it is a shame. While they don't have the amenities of the private campgrounds, we still like them because, from an former tenter's point of view, it's a "real" campground!