Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Has any one camp at any of the corps of engineers parks and what do you think of them. I want to try they out when we start full timing.

jtjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In SC they are great!!! Stayed at 2 on the way West, also very nice. If you have Senior Pass you stay for 50%. Prob best deal going.

2005 Sightseer 29R, F53 Chassis-Sold
2007 HHR Toad -Sold, Hankook AH11,Magnum Plus Beads,Dahon Bikes, Roo Bee the "Aussie",SCT-5 Star Tune, Mountain Master Tow Brake,2009 Bighorn 3600RL
coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers

We have stayed at several in Texas and really liked them. The ones we stayed at didn't have sewer hook-up.
budtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
There are a few in Alabama that are fantastic! I've stayed in the one called "gunter hill" near Montgomery many times and I hear they just redid one side with great private sites. Plan on going there again soon. Also near lake Eufala there are a couple that will impress you.
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
COE campgrounds

If you try one I am sure you will love it. Not only that but if you are a senior and purchase a pass for life you camp for about 1/2 price. I use several in TN & Alabama and I would rather stay in them then anywhere else. Only problem they are starting to get popular and you need to make reservations weeks in advance.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
In Georgia at lake Lanier just basic power and water only a cheaper way to camp.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #7

I've stayed at several Corps campground. Liked they so well I bought a directory of them and try to stay there when we can. The only bad thing is some fill up too soon and we can't get in.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will spend some time in one come spring (Again) 50 amp, and all the water I can drink/use, no sewer hookup though so mid-week I have to head to the dump station.

Since my wife has a golden age pass they are only 11/night, Very cheap. And it's a beautiful park too. We enjoy it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
The ones at West Point lake in LaGrange, Ga. have really large sites, but no sewer.
I'M TRYING to be awesome today, but I'M EXHAUSTED from being so freakin' AWESOME YESTERDAY!
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great in Georgia around Lake Oconee and Lake Hartwell in both Georgia and South Carolina
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Corps of Engineer parks are probably one of the best values in reasonable priced camping. Even without one of the Federal passes that gives a 50% discount, still resonable. Most are on or near water for great views, usually well spaced for privacy, and most are easy access.

There are three minor drawbacks.
1. Very few have sewer hookups, but always have good dump stations.
2. Because of current economics, a lot of them either close or severly limit spaces available after mid fall thru mid spring.
3. Since they are primarily located on either navigatable or flood control waterways, they become real scarce once you get west of the Mississippi River drainage area.

Even so, we stay at them as often as we can.

2011 Bounder 36R pushed by a 2012 Chevy Equinox
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote