Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Corps Of Engineers campgrounds

can someone explain how they operate, how to use them, find them

Are they booked or just drive in?

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Here is an explanation of the Corp campgrounds. Many use reservations and if you go on the off-season you can usually get a site by driving in. There is a book published that lists the campgrounds and their facilities.

COE Campgrounds | RV Camping
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
They're operated pretty much the same as state parks. Some you can reserve sites (reserveamerica), others are walk in only.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:51 AM   #4

You can go to www.recreation.gov and search for sites. If you have one of the Access America cards when you reserve you get 50% off the campsite. Most only have water and electric, no sewer. The sites are usually large and far apart. We are going to one this weekend and our favorite site is about 100 feet in between the other two sites so we have lots of privacy. The bath house is also only about 75 yards from our site as well. We have been going to the same Corps of Engineer campground for 7 years, and most of the time we book the same site.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #5

You can also use a Senior Pass and get a 50% discount. Most COE CGs end up costing you about $13/day.

We've never been to one that wasn't very clean, very spacious, often water-front sites.

The push-back is with changing reservations; that costs $10 each time you do it. You also can't reserve more than 6 months in advance.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #6

Try this website; I use it extensively for COE campgrounds.
US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Home
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #7

I use Allstays to locate COE camping. Read reviews etc, Allstays has a direct link to Rec.gov for that park to book site
Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

We LOVE COE parks. In fact, we are in one right now. And we were in one last week. And we will be in a different one in a couple of weeks.

They seem to be getting pretty much standard as far as camp site amenities. Most of them have concrete pads, aggregate patios, electric and water hookups, with no sewer. The site we are on right now doesn't have a concrete pad (it's the same aggregate as the patio). They have gates at the entrance that are locked at 10 (or somewhere around there) at night, and are opened at 7 (or somewhere around there) in the morning. The gates are manned by volunteers who are usually retired, mature, and friendly. During the week. the campground will be very quiet and peaceful. On the weekends, it will get very busy, and will have a lot of traffic and noise.

We are retired, and have the senior pass card. We normally pay anywhere from $6 - $15 per night. Usually around $10 - 12. We have a blue tote, so we can stay for the full 14 day limit at each park, and haul our waste water to the dump whenever needed.

We book our sites at recreation.gov. We like the park websites that show a picture of each site, but most don't. Google maps can give you an idea of what the site looks like, if it isn't covered by trees when the satellite went over.

Most COE parks have a few walk up only sites that cannot be reserved online. Sometimes those sites are not very desirable (short, sunny, steep grades), and sometimes they are the best sites in the park.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Messner
Just wondering...

With the Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds, do you have to:
1, Be a Veteran or serving member of the military?
2, Be an American?

We are one of the millions of Canadians coming down each winter. We love this kind of camping in our motorhome the best. Tha nks for your help!
Jim
Jim Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Messner View Post
Just wondering...

2, Be an American?

We are one of the millions of Canadians coming down each winter. We love this kind of camping in our motorhome the best. Tha nks for your help!
Jim
No you do not to both questions.
Come on down! We LOVE the COE parks!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #11

As far as I know, if you have the $$ to pay for the site, they will take your money and let you camp.

This is off subject, but one thing I have heard lately here in Oklahoma is that, if you are trying to camp on a COE RV site in a tent or pickup bed camper, they will not allow you to rent a site.
Now, I have a nice class A, so they probably will not give me any static. However, I remember where I came from too. I have done every type of camping you can imagine... tent, pickup bed campers and I've even slept under a few concrete picnic tables, when out touring the country on a motorcycle (don't judge )
I have no problem with a tent camper, pickup bed camper, or a $1 mil Newell parking next to me, as long as they respect the other campers - get quite during typical sleeping time - and keep the campsite clean.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #12

COE has a CD they give out free that has all facilities in the US listed by state. Its a master file accessing PDF files for each of the 44 states in which they have facilities. Charts listing each facility and columns with the features marked. Stop by any COE office or visitor center where the America the Beautiful passes are sold. I got mine at the Dam Project Managment office at the West Point GA lake.

Much the same info here.

https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/vis...bile/index.cfm

Charles
Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtspence View Post
I use Allstays to locate COE camping. Read reviews etc, Allstays has a direct link to Rec.gov for that park to book site
Ditto.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Wink Yeah... Us 'Mericunz are kinda tight-assed about SOME things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Messner View Post
Just wondering...

2, Be an American?

We are one of the millions of Canadians coming down each winter. We love this kind of camping in our motorhome the best. Thanks for your help!
Jim
But not this.

To answer your questions: No and Goodness Gracious NO, Shugah!

I think you might be confusing the USACE campgrounds with military bases which have "FamCamps" that are limited to active-duty personnel. The Army Corps of Engineers is an offshoot of the U.S. Army that builds/operates/maintains navigable waterways within the U.S. This includes the locks/dams for shipping and flood control and the wonderful parks/campgrounds they have created along these waterways. Many of these campgrounds were built during the Great Depression by the Civil Conservation Corps [CCC] camps and have been "absorbed" by the COE. The Corps personnel will bend over backwards to accomodate the citizenry... They might even be nicer to you, being Canadian! Ask to visit some of the locks and see what marvels of engineering they are! Some of the campgrounds have even been modified to accept the larger rigs — with sewer connections! — that we drive/haul today. Some even have their own boat ramps! The camp hosts are volunteers, usually living onsite for the summer, and can answer any questions you may have about the area, the waterway or, obviously, the campground. They have some very basic rules to follow: Don't be rowdy, most allow a max 14-day stay and don't make a mess/clean up after yourself.

Can't wait 'til I can get my Geezer Pass [age 65+] and pay ˝-price... of what is usually LESS than $25! Don't quote me on this, but I think anyone 65+ warrants the reduced-price pass. There are FOUR COEs within 50 miles of us here in Tuscaloosa! We're on the Black Warrior River and have several locks/dams/campgrounds nearby. We head out to Deer Lick Creek or Birchfield Branch whenever we really want to turn off the cell phones/TV/internets and just... Watch the barges on the river and listen to the water lap at the shore. [Sigh! ]

Beware of chipmunks!

Tags
campground, engine