Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

Corps of Engineers new policy

Can anyone tell me why the Corps of Engineers have chosen to not allow reservations thru " Reserve America " all you can get is "Walk in First Come first Serve".

How can one plan a trip when you cannot be assured of a place to park your rig!

This is unacceptable to me, I send in my taxes to provide these folks with a job and the pay check they recieve. What gives here?
tiger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the way the Corp parks were in the past. I have never had any success with Reserve America and have gotten to where I refused to use them.

You always have the option to use State parks or private campgrounds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger63 View Post
Can anyone tell me why the Corps of Engineers have chosen to not allow reservations thru " Reserve America " all you can get is "Walk in First Come first Serve".

This is unacceptable to me, I send in my taxes to provide these folks with a job and the pay check they recieve. What gives here?
hmmm i always reserve a spot.....even last week at maumelle? and i can say i have always had a positive experience with them,

"CAMPSITES ARE RESERVABLE JANUARY 1st - DECEMBER 31st (YEAR-ROUND)
Campsite fees:"
mof i just cut the above from their website

maybe its jsut the specific park your looking at, is it a big tourist area? or high use park
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
KIX

We've run across some COE parks that do not take reservations. Seems like they were all low use parks and they always had space available. Your mileage may vary.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The Corps of Engineers uses Recreation.gov for reservations and their website makes no mention of such a policy change.

COE website link.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #6

"reserve America" I think that company is a rip-off. Indiana went to them for state park reservations. Now it's more expensive to camp in IN state parks, and_ people have learned how to manipulate their system to lock-in a specific site for most of the year. Just try to make a reservation on a holiday weekend. When a governmental unit "out-sources" their responsibilities it is an admission that they cannot do the job efficiently.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
"reserve America" I think that company is a rip-off. Indiana went to them for state park reservations. Now it's more expensive to camp in IN state parks, and_ people have learned how to manipulate their system to lock-in a specific site for most of the year. Just try to make a reservation on a holiday weekend. When a governmental unit "out-sources" their responsibilities it is an admission that they cannot do the job efficiently.
It's cheaper for USACE to outsource the work. It doesn't mean they can't do the job.

I made reservations with Reserve America in the past few months and was very satisfied with the system, except when I needed to change sites, I had to call, instead of handling it online.

Sue <--- retired USACE contractor
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #8

I guess the Corps is using most of your tax money to pay for it's main purpose, building dams and levees, etc. The parks are just a little something extra. I volunteered as a Park Host earlier this year at a day use park. Such complaints from folks using this no fee park. " Not enough parking places, not enough tables, water in river too cold" Guess they thought that their tax dollars were not being used to their satisfaction either.
Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph View Post
I guess the Corps is using most of your tax money to pay for it's main purpose, building dams and levees, etc. The parks are just a little something extra. I volunteered as a Park Host earlier this year at a day use park. Such complaints from folks using this no fee park. " Not enough parking places, not enough tables, water in river too cold" Guess they thought that their tax dollars were not being used to their satisfaction either.
well there you have it, they obviously aren't tapped into all that extra warm water from all this global warming, darn govment types
nothing like a COLD river
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger63 View Post

The Reserve America system doesn't allow you to book a site at the last minute. It only allows advance reservations. I believe it was at least three days in advance. Any sooner and it says walk-in only.

Sue
Old 07-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I've actually been able to find a vacancy through Reserve America, it has gone without a hitch. The problem I have is finding any sites available on weekends in the summertime. I figured it's because this is the time they are most slammed.

We tend to stay off the beaten path this time of year. Being local to VA Beach, we have found there are tons of nice places where the tourists ain't. Once the kiddies go back to school, everything opens up nicely, and it is just when we start getting some of the best camping weather of the year in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have to agree with RAY from Indiana. Indiana's reservation system sucks. I quit using Indiana c/gs because of it. I am not going to be told that I have to reserve certain days (Fri-Sat-Sun), in order to get the dates that I want.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Just stayed a week at Bandits Roost in N.C.,No problem . About 40% of sites are first come,and easy to get during the week , but not on weekend.It worked same as last year,
Luck---Bill
Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #14

For the original poster, COE and other federal sites are through recreation.gov, not RA. No reservation fee when I did it last month and I got my Senior Pass discount. I agree with most gripes about RA, but they are the only game for state parks (many or all?--Colo. is one). But, the site works and is informative, and has helped us for reservations at times that are crowded. They are the Ticketmaster of camp sites, a slightly helpful evil to drain off more consumer money. But nobody is forcing me to camp.