Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #15

Thanks to all for the tips. A neighbor who did this trip last year is suggesting taking Hwy 93 up to the Bitterroot Valley, which would seem to be the same route that others here have suggested. Is that a decent road for a 34' gasser with a toad?

Wagonhammer RV Resort looks good to us.

Yes, we are avoiding Yellowstone and Grand Teton because we don't like crowds and they're not dog-friendly, plus the beauty of the area seems to be plentiful without going into the parks. Might camp outside Grand Teton and drive the toad in for a day trip though.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

For Grand Teton each of these two first come campgrounds have 300 sites and we've been there all seasons and have always gotten a site. Gros Ventre campground is our favorite. The other is Colter Bay campground (next door to the RV park that requires reservations). It's much more pleasant than staying outside the park and driving in for a day.

There's no where else where you'll see what Yellowstone has to offer and the mountains of Grand Teton are awesome. I highly recommend staying in Grand Teton and at least doing a day drive into Yellowstone. Start out early morning - like 6-7 am. Pack a lunch. You won't regret it.

Idaho 93 & 28 run in valleys between mountains. No issue with either.

Check the national park websites for lots of good information - special alerts, road information, camping, pet regulations, maps, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/index.htm

Pet Information:
https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/pets.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/pets.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #17

I am a full timer. My plans changed for the summer and I am heading up to Bosie ID next week. Every campground in the area is full and has a waiting list for monthly rentals for the season. Looks like I will end up staying and boondocking at a friends ranch outside of town. Last year I volunteered at Sawtooth National Recation Area They have many campgrounds. Some require a reservation but about half are first come first serve. Additionally there is a lot of boondocking areas along Hwy 75 between Ketchum and Stanley. Just stop at the visitor center just north of Ketchum and they will give you a free map and show you where you can camp.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #18

It's unfortunate that you don't boondock -- the boondocking between Ketchum and Stanley is world-class. Very safe, very quiet, and the scenery ain't too bad, neither. The little white dot in the middle is my trailer -- those big lumpy pointy things are the Boulder Mountains:

Click For Full-Size Image.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #19

There may be some nice scenery in other parts of Wyoming, and Montana, but it is not on the scale of Yellowstone. Though at the same time part of the problem with Yellowstone is sensory overload, you find your self going blaaah at the 5th world class waterfall of the day, and oh, its just another awe inspiring thermal feature. Grand Tetons is nice, but it is completely different from Yellowstone, with Grand Tetons you have this wall of mountains that rises up, and that is just about it, you get to pick what is in the foreground, but the impenetrable wall of mountains is always there in the background. With Yellowstone, there is so, so much more, there are the variety of thermal features, geysers, paint pots, mud volcanoes, etc. then there are canyons, and waterfalls, plus Bison, Elk, and other wildlife.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #20

I did the motorcycle ride from Stanley to Challis today and 75 is a nice scenic road that follows the Salmon river. It's 2 lane with a dozen BLM CG's along the way that were mostly empty. There is a Land Of The Yankee Fork State Park in Challis that has a dump station and fresh water, but no camping. On the way down 75, stop and see the mining ghost towns Custer and Bay Horse. They are 4-6 miles off 75 and gravel roads good for a toad, but not a large MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3484.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	248413  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #21

Isaac, I must respectfully disagree about the impenetrable Tetons. If you can hike a few miles, you can go way back into the mountains, even if you don't backpack (which I don't). There are many days' worth of spectacular trails -- much better hiking, I think, than Yellowstone. (YNP is great, but for different reasons!)

But if you don't hike, I agree that the Tetons can be seen in a few days.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 AM   #22

The Tetons have much better hiking for all abilities than Yellowstone. Every park is different and they are national parks because every one is unique and offers something special that you won't see elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #23

We're coming out to Idaho in August, working our way north from Boise to Coeur d'Alene. I still have some family there (my mother was from Moscow). Spent a lot of time as a young kid there in the 60's.

Does anyone know of the hot springs is still available near Lowman? Here's my wife and I in 1977. Would love to let my kids and grandkids enjoy the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32-Chris,Jill.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	248507

Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
We're coming out to Idaho in August, working our way north from Boise to Coeur d'Alene. I still have some family there (my mother was from Moscow). Spent a lot of time as a young kid there in the 60's.

Does anyone know of the hot springs is still available near Lowman? Here's my wife and I in 1977. Would love to let my kids and grandkids enjoy the water.

Attachment 248507

Thanks
Here you go - Kirkham Hot Springs : https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...=1559672912907

Google for Idaho natural hot springs & lots come up.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #25

I am enjoying this post because I am looking forward to getting back Idaho.

Currently in DC metro area parked on the street near where my son lives. No reservations. I did make reservations for three days in NYC to visit the the oldest.

Then it is west to Idaho Falls to visit old friends where I was stationed in the navy for a while.

Apart from what has been mentioned, Idaho has great state parks and campgrounds run by power companies with dams.

While I also hate crowds, some places I go because I want to see kids. Yellowstone is one of those must see places. Sure Chinese tourist may stop in the middle of the road jump out of their rental to get a selfie with a buffalo causing a traffic jam.

So enjoy the people watching while enjoying the assume natural wonders tent retreat to the sounds of a trout steam.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #26

Sounds like you have the right attitude, Kit.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
It's unfortunate that you don't boondock -- the boondocking between Ketchum and Stanley is world-class. Very safe, very quiet, and the scenery ain't too bad, neither. The little white dot in the middle is my trailer -- those big lumpy pointy things are the Boulder Mountains:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Wow! Beautiful spot!