Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Creation Museum & Ark Encounter Trip from New Orleans

Hello, I am new to rving and making plans for my first long trip. I have owned a 2015 four winds class c for about a year now and am looking to make a road trip to take the wife and two young kids (ages 2&6) to the creation museum and ark encounter for our Mardi Gras Break. I will have a toad for transportation. The main thing that worries me about this trip is that many of the campgrounds look great in pictures but can be downright scary once your there. I don't want to end up in any sketchy campgrounds. I would love any tips or recommendations for this trip. Up to this point we have only done several weekend type trips.

Plans:
Feb 25 - Leave New Orleans drive about 8 hours and stay at Raccoon Mountain in Tennessee. This looks like a nice place with activities for the kids.
Feb 26 - spend day around Campground and maybe Ruby Falls.
Feb 27 - Drive to Kentucky around creation museum/ark encounter. This is where I am having the most difficulty picking a location to stay. Most of the campgrounds have bad reviews or are closed this time of year. Whispering Hills in George town looks like the best bet for a safe clean place to stay. We will be here four four nights.
Feb 28 - visit Creation Museum
Mar 1 - visit Ark Encounter
Mar 2 - Free Day
Mar 3 - Drive Home. This would be a 12-13 hour drive. I may stop somewhere in Birmingham which would be about half way. I don't have to be home until the 5th.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

Whispering Hills in Georgetown is a good campground to stay at. There is a narrow road going up to the campground that I would not want to meet another RV coming the other way. Even when we encounter car traffic when we are towing, we just stop to let them pass. There are a couple of Pilot truck stops on each side of the interstate but they are crazy busy.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Sounds like a great trip. Just wonder about the weather that time of year, you might experience anything. Planning on going to see the Ark but want warmer weather.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Junior.... If you're a member of FMCA check out their small RV parking area on Round Bottom Rd in Cincinnatti. It's free to members for a couple of nights, then dirt cheap for a few nights after that. It's strictly parking, but well done: about 15 or so sites, paved and level, 30/50A, water, sewer at each site. Down side is no amenities or entertainment for kids, and may be a little hike to your destinations.
Just thought I'd mention it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #5

If you had the time I would suggest considering the Natchez trace parkway, it is a 50 mph speed limit though with lots of stops, but a number of those have campgrounds of one type or another (state or federal).
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The end of February/March time frame in Ky and TN might be sketchy at best. There is a very strong possibility for snow and/or ice. As DannyA suggested, it would be a great trip, but in warmer weather when you don't have to worry about road conditions. There is a significant number of grades on 75 in TN and south KY, and it wouldn't be too fun in a MH and toad on snow or ice. Just my 2 cents.
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies. I hadn't really gave too much thought to the weather till it was mentioned here. My church group hired a bus to take them up there at that time and i just though we would meet them there. Living in south Louisiana my entire life icy roads are not something i'm used to especially in an RV.

Now i will have to rethink this, certainly don't want to put my family in any sketchy situations. I was really looking forward to this trip, bummer.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd hurry. The park owner had great expectations, but the crowds he anticipated..... Well let's just put it this way.

Those visiting have no trouble finding a place to park.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

This is a good place for an overnight near Tuscaloosa, AL - https://sunsetrvparks.com/
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rvparkreviews.com is a great tool before booking campgrounds. It has saved us many times. Saw great ratings somewhere but when you read what actual campers have to say it helps decide.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Concur on weather warning. Also highly recommend the Natchez Trace.

Raccoon Mountain is a nice park. Great Civil War historical sites in Chattanooga and Chickamauga. Kids can learn a lot there.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

Thank you to all for the replies and the information. I will have to postpone the trip for a later date with warmer weather. Might just try Disney campground. I'm glad I posted here beca8se it looks like I could have gotten into some trouble with the weather. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #13

check out Little farm on the river