Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Cross Country

My DW, myself and our 14# Boomer and going from the Pacific Northwest to Brooksville, FL for this winter. We are planning on leaving on or about November 1st this year and will return to the PNW sometime next summer.
I've spent a few winters in Arizona and one in Las Cruces, NM - but never anything east of there.
That being said, which way do you suggest i travel. Mountains and hills do not affect me much - snow and ice does!!!
So, being that it would be the first of Nov should be do I-5 to I-10 OR I-90, I-29, I-70, I-64, I-57 to I-24/25.
Further, I've read I-10 is pretty messed up from LA to FL.
Marlinmike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #2

Right now I-10 is bad through Louisiana but you're talking November.

At that time of year I'd recommend getting down to I-10 and head east.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 PM   #3

Having been over both routes you ask about a number of times, weather permitting I would go I-90. I-29 etc.That is the most direct route and very easy. Plenty of fuel stops and parks for rest.

The weather in Nov. can be dicey but very good at times. Keep a watch on the weather and there should be no problem. Remember after MT you have pretty level going so weather should be a lesser issue.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cross Country

X2 on Al, above. I'd pick I-90. I've done both routes, though only a couple of times, but I did drive that piece of I-90 in November. He's right-- the weather through eastern WA, ID, and MT can be iffy, but your key phrase is "...on or about Nov 1...". It's the "about" that could bite you! If you look at the data you'll see that the probability graph line for snow through that region climbs steeply in the latter half of Nov. Early Nov is much like Oct.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Thanks to all for your input. I should have phrased it Nov 1st or sooner instead of "about". I don't think there would be much question in my mind which way I'd go after 11/1 (unless we were having a spectacular fall).
For "keeping an eye on the weather" what source/s do you use? I use Accuweather but all I can do with that is lookup individual cities along the way. Any better solutions?
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cross Country

Mike.... After 25 years of flying for a living watching the weather gets to be an ingrained habit. But I'll tell you, in the last 5 years or so I've really been impressed with the features and accuracy of the online services. I now use the Weather Channel app on my iPhone. Current weather, forecasts, moving radar maps (including prognoses). If you know just a little bit about how weather moves and happens, you can glean a lot of info from these apps. I would guess Accuweather has similar features.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote