Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Day 19

This was the big move to the city.

We left Hammonasset Beach State Park in the morning headed for NY/NJ. We drove down the I-95 until we could get on the I-287 westbound. A lady in a car almost killed us as we were coming around a corner to go across the Tappan Zee Bridge. I still wonder how I don't have her paint on my front fender. Luckily I was able to swerve into the lane on my passenger side to avoid her and we didn't start too much sway after I corrected (thank you Equal-I-Zer hitch). She was extremely lucky I caught her out of the corner of my eye as she crossed 3 lanes in a turn to pass me and keep heading to the more right lanes that I didn't hit her because she would have been dead.

Anyway, once we came over the Tappan Zee Bridge, we headed south on the Garden State Parkway. That has to be one of the most well maintained and best roads in America. It's a toll road, but I would gladly pay tolls if all the roads were that good. Some of the toll roads have these places to stop and get fuel or to eat in the middle of the freeway. That is definitely something that is only back east. Generally speaking, the exits to the toll plazas are to the left (drivers side) where both north/south lanes or east/west lanes can get off for fuel/food. It's something we had to get used to seeing and planning for. Not overly complicated, just different than what we are used to. The prices seemed fair for fuel, we did not eat at any of them.

We kept south, as some on this site recommended this route from this website, all the way to the I-78 Express. There we headed east again until we got to the Jersey City / Columbus Drive exit. I got better advise from this website to go all the way to right before the tunnel and turn on Marin Blvd, but I listened to my GPS and was too busy looking at Manhattan to see that I wasn't going exactly how I planned weeks before. It was ok, we just had to make a u-turn under the I-78 and take Grand south to Marin. The only problem was there was some construction on Marin and they were making people detour around the back side of Liberty Harbor Marina where I was headed. We had to figure out how to make a u-turn on some pretty narrow streets to get back to where we could go in the back way. Most likely, no one else will run into this. The rear entrance is on Jersey Ave and is through a rough back alley. There were large signs on Grand and Marin that told us how to get to the RV park.

So we get to the park, or as most describe it, parking lot and check-in. We pull around and get setup in our spot. The spots are so narrow that my neighbor had to move his RV so he could get in and out without hitting his front door on my slide. I have slides on one side and my steps on the other side and they were all on the line. If your slides are bigger than mine, good luck, I hope your neighbor is ok with you taking some of their room. The spots are not marked well in the back and we had to decide where the line was at the back so we didn't take up to much room if/when people pulled in behind us. Not overly complicated, just not well marked to say the least. The site had water and electric and there was a really poor designed dump location.

The "park" would be the worst of any in a contest for the worst, except the location cannot be beat. Out the front of my site was the Statue of Liberty and slightly to the left was downtown Manhattan with the river between us at the marina. At night, with all of the lights on, you couldn't see the park flaws and it was beautiful. I am sure the cost for reality at that location makes them pack you in as close as possible and I would not stay any farther away if you want to visit the city. There is no way to be the location in my opinion. Just read all of the reviews and know not to expect much from the park. They do have a small spot for tents and it is absolutely ridiculous, and people were actually camping out there.

We arrived early enough that we went for groceries a couple miles north at a Target. Then we walked around a little near the river so we could see the city. At some point, I went to see if the front desk could give us some hints on how to see things or how to get around, etc, and the girl at the front desk didn't have a clue. It is funny because some of the reviews said they were really good at that, but that is not what I experienced. I think I knew more than she did. My wife said she just works here and probably never goes into the city. I would have to agree.

Luckily, I read reviews on how to ride the Path subway into NYC and then use the subways from there. The Path subway entrance is about 3/4 of a mile walk down Marin at Christopher Columbus Drive. That Path entrance is Grove Street. You need to know that so you know where to get off when you come back from the city. I think we bought $10 worth of Path subway ticket each, and we may have added another $10 later in the week, I don't remember exactly.

The Path at Grove only has a couple of different trains. One to take you to the World Trade Center, one to take you into the city at 9th (for our purposes, this was the best place to get off and then you walk down to 4th to get on the subway) and then Journal Square and Hoboken (don't get on Hoboken unless you want to take the long route or a train is broken. You need to know that the Path uses the last stop as the train name, so if you go into the city and want to go back to the park, you have to take the train to Journal Square and get off at the Grove Street station. If you want to go to the city, you will take the 33 street train and get off along the way. If you want to go to the world trade center, just take that train to the end, but coming back you have to take the Journal Square train and get off at Grove again.

Now, the subway, much more dirty as to be expected from every movie you ever see, but not as bad as you expect than the Path. We were really confused on how to get around the first day. It's loud and hot waiting for the trains in the middle of the summer - bring water with you and expect to buy water - don't pay more than $2 a bottle or your getting screwed. Walk 10 feet and someone will be selling hotdogs, pizza or water. Cheapest place for food we stayed, if you like pizza and hotdogs. To make it easier on you, I will tell you what no one told me and this may sound obvious to you - Uptown trains go North and Downtown trains go South. Get a map, see where you want to go and get on the letter train that takes you closest by heading uptown or downtown from where you are. We bought the 7 day metro card and it worked out great for us as it is unlimited. It doesn't work on the Path so that is why you will have to buy two cards (Path and Metro).

The first day, we walked 10 miles. Second day 9 miles, third day 8 miles, then the rest we walked between 7-8 miles each day. The subway gets you close and then you have to walk. We went to a bunch of places so I won't be going into all of them here at this time, maybe more at the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27636427172_894bcdb13b_z.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	137113   Click image for larger version

Name:	27636426122_a956dd19b1_z.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	137114  

Name:	27636425442_df0eaeb44c_z.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	137115   Click image for larger version

Name:	27459044100_a1e9522148_z.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	137116  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #16

Traffic Right?

Sometimes the traffic at the RV park gets backed up

They keep boats behind the RV park and the way to the water is through the park -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27652833972_f80a8ce347_z.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	137117   Click image for larger version

Name:	27719169216_b5a0032e4d_z.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	137118  

Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #17

Day 27

Left Liberty Harbor - forgot to mention I did use my 42 gallon Barker blue tote a few times while we were there. The dump station has some junk piled up near it and the ground is always wet. One of the days I was there the guys doing construction next door on the high rise building were connected to the dump hose. Another day, there was an inspector walking around making notes on the dump station and the park in general. I would be highly surprised if there isn't a ton of pressure for the park to sell or be shut down so the area can be made into a parking structure for the high rise or something even worse.

We drove south down the I-95 to our next stop Cherry Hill RV Park near Cherry Hill, MD. The road from the freeway up the hill to the park is horrible. they started construction on it while we were there so hopefully it will get better. There are photo radar cameras every 10 feet around the park so don't even think about speeding. All of the speed limits are really slow too and there are hills everywhere so you are always going slow on the bad roads.

The guy that checked us in was great for directions to/from DC and had a ton of great information for us. They had good maps and he was the most helpful person I have ever had check us in at any RV park. Our spot was site 35. It is a premium back in spot. Why did I choose a premium spot you ask? Because you get to pick your site. It cost us $140 extra for the two weeks we stayed to get the premium site and it was worth it just to pick the site. Why is it important to pick the site you ask? Because there is a major freeway interchange around half of the park. I wanted to be as far away from it as possible. There are sites near the pool that are about 100 feet from a major freeway. Same with around the back edge. We were as far away as you could get and we could still hear the freeway. It wasn't too bad, but they must have a bunch of people racing motorcycles in the middle of the night down the freeways because they went through almost every night. They were the kind where you could hear them for 15 minutes because they were so loud and the sound just carried for miles. If you don't pay for premium, you know where you will be staying.

The park has everything you could need. Tons of washing machines and dryers, restaurant, store, pools, etc. Our site was full hookup and I think they all are. The sites have enough room to put out your awning and still have a few feet between your neighbor. The water hookups were at the front of the sites and the dump was fairly far forward as well. I have two dump hose connections and they were stretched, but not too tight. The white fresh water hose from walmart would have been too short and luckily I have one of the longer blue fresh water hoses. Every weekend the tent section in front of where we were located filled up with what looked like a camping tour. They had vans that would come with a bunch of people, put up 10 tents and camp over night. They were really quiet so no complaints there. We did have a couple of days of ants on the bricks out front of our trailer. They just came and went within a couple of days.

There are a couple of ways to get down to DC. I know some would walk up to the front of the park and ride a bus to the DC Metro. The guy that checked us in said it was faster to drive to the DC Metro at College Park. He said it is around $1.75 per person to ride the bus to the Metro. It is a flat rate of $5.10 each day for parking at College Park. So for my family to just take the bus round trip each day it would have been $14 and we parked each day for $5.10. Why the $0.10, I do not know but I asked myself that everyday I paid - why not just $5? Anyway, you have to use a credit/debit card to pay the fee for parking as you leave. You can load your Metro rail card and then pay with it on your way out, but I didn't see why that would make it any easier. For the Metro rail, you can buy different packages for traveling. We chose the 7 day unlimited package, but there is a catch. It is only unlimited (for the one we bought) during off peak hours. During peak hours they increase the fee by a dollar or so depending on how far you travel - you have to swipe in and out so it knows how much to charge you. We were told to add $10 to the card when we bought it and I think we added another $5 near the end of our second week. As you swipe in the turn-style, there is a small display that will tell you how much you have extra on the card. So we started with $10 and when we traveled during peak hours, as we got off, you can see that $10 slowly drop down. Really, we traveled after the morning rush but did travel back to the park during the peak times a lot.

Getting down to the mall - we usually got off at the Archives stop because it is generally in the middle of the mall and you don't have to change trains. Changing trains can take 10 minutes while you wait between trains. The next one could be really full, so we tried not to change too much. We walked about 7 miles each day. If it weren't so humid in NY and DC, we probably could have walked more, but it was nearly unbearable. I won't complain too much about the weather as it could have been worse. I will try and give some small tips at the end.

We stayed at Cherry Hill for two weeks and did not take one picture of our campsite.

Before I forget - if you want to get a tour of the White House, Congress, Supreme Court, etc, you will have to make reservations through your congress person 6 months exactly ahead of time. For the White House, they will not confirm/deny until 2 weeks before your scheduled trip. We got lucky and got approved and got to go through the White House. It was great. I wish we could go everywhere during the tour, but it is fairly short. Our Congressman had one of his interns take us though the Capital. It was under construction, but still a great place to go through no matter how much scaffolding is in place. There is a way to make reservations for the Washington Monument, but no one told us we should get them ahead of time so we never went up. There is a way to get tickets to the Washington Monument, but you have to be in line before it opens early in the morning and we were on vacation so we never did that. As far as the White House, we did give the dates of our trip, so that is how they setup the reservations - they chose the dates and times for those tours. Also, when you get in the security line at the White House, don't worry about where you are in line. Everyone goes through and once you get past the checkpoints you are self guided so you can stay as long as you want and get all the pictures you want without being rushed. I would suggest hanging back so you can get pictures without random people.

Let me continue our trip and I will think about all of the other tips and try to add them after.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #18

Day 41

Starting for home with a couple of stop on the way.

Left DC a few days after Fourth of July - watched fireworks in front of the Washington Monument looking down toward the Lincoln Memorial - more later.

We wanted to stop in Nashville but it is too far of a drive for us so we stopped at Fort Chiswell RV Park in Max Meadows, VA. Google maps doesn't show that it is behind a small mountain. It is fairly close to the freeway so I was worried it was going to be loud, but the large hill/small mountain made it quite and you can't hear the I-81 freeway.

The park is decent. I can't remember if they had wifi, but they did have full hookups. We went to the office to check in and there was a man and his wife who were nearly yelling at the lady behind the counter about not being able to be with the other 12 in his party that hadn't arrived yet with no reservation. To the lady's credit, she handled him perfectly and he calmed down quickly. Guess what, if you have 12 RV's following behind you later in the day, you might want to make reservations, just a thought. I made reservations months in advance over the internet and had no trouble. This park is no where near anything I wanted to see and I wouldn't stay here for more than an overnight. Nothing bad, just nothing special.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #19

Day 42

Left and headed for Nashville. We made reservations at Seven Points Campground in Hermitage, TN just east of Nashville. My daughter is a huge Percy Jackson movie/book fan. The only thing we really had planned for Nashville is stopping at The Parthenon monument on the west side of Nashville. I had no idea it even existed before my daughter said she would like to see it.

The campground is right on J Percy Priest Reservoir. We reserved a great spot right on the water. They have water and electric at some of the sites and a slightly tight dump station - the turn is slightly tight for my size trailer but not horrible. The campsites near the water where we were had a fairly steep hill to back down. Note to any campground designers - make the roads two way and have every back in site back to the drivers side for a trailer - passenger side backing is tough with the blind spots. Nothing happened or anything, just an observation.

We spend half a day at the Parthenon the next day and then rested the next day around the campground. We didn't need them, but my wife said they had hot showers and the bathrooms looked fairly clean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28152451411_d819b917fb_z.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	137143   Click image for larger version

Name:	27949222260_a2c8e77a20_z.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	137144  

Name:	27614500524_c801b4c304_z.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	137145   Click image for larger version

Name:	27614365544_6b2b9b7078_z.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	137146  

Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #20

Day 44

We headed for Memphis the next morning. I didn't make any reservations the rest of the trip prior to our trip. I was in no hurry and wanted to give myself time to stop and see places if we wanted to.

I hadn't planned on really stopping in Memphis for more than a day (I spent too much time there when I was in the Navy), but my mom reminded me we have family 20 miles south so we decided to stop for an extra day.

I chose to stay at the Hollywood Casino and Hotel Tunica RV park. They have a pretty nice RV park behind the casino right on a golf course. We were pleasantly surprised when the baby dear and it's mom walked by in the evening. I wanted to stay out of Memphis for camping and this was the place I picked. It had full hookups and I think it was $15 per night if I remember correctly. They had decent wifi if my memory serves and it felt really safe there. It was however much farther away from Beale Street than I thought, almost an hour.

We went down for lunch and walked around. It was on a weekday and the place was nearly a ghost town from what I remember from previous visits. Surprisingly it was my wife that wanted to take off before me. We went down to my families for a short visit and then back to the RV park for the night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27949093150_e0c8a44af6_z.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	137147   Click image for larger version

Name:	27949473470_f13fcc1cc2_z.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	137148  

Name:	27637468054_7585a1d9a3_z.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	137149  
Old 08-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #21

Day 46

We left the Casino RV park and instead of heading straight back to the interstate, we went south down the HWY-61 until we got to Lula and then took the HWY-49 NW until we ran into the I-40 around Brinkley. Those roads are decently maintained except the HWY-49 from the turn at Lula to the bridge going over the Mississippi river was pretty messed up as in barely maintained. Once you go the few miles and get over the bridge, the road is fine.

We drove down the I-40 until we reached our next campground - Sallisaw/Fort Smith West KOA. Normally we don't stay at the KOA campgrounds because they are too expensive in my opinion (west coast), but they had a pool and was generally as far as I wanted to get that day. I think for our family it was a little over $50 for the night. Luckily I had reserved a spot the day before. When we were in the pool, we saw people come in and leave as the campground was full for the night.

The pool needs a little shade around it. The park was well maintained. No offense to owner that checked us in, but I didn't need to wait to have a 20min conversation about the park during check-in. My family was in the truck waiting and the owners wife checked two people in during the same time. He was friendly, but it was a long drive and I was ready to get setup and get in the pool.

The campsite was nice and shaded under some trees and plenty long and level. The only facilities we used were the pool. I did see people coming in to use the dump station and to use the showers, but the site had full hookups so I didn't need any of that. I think after about 30min of running the AC the main breaker in my panel tripped and we had to reset it. I have never had any problems with that before or after so I think it was on their side. It only happened once so I didn't look into it after the reset.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #22

Day 47

We left early the next morning headed west again on the I-40. Our next campground was in Shamrock, TX at the SouthSide RV Park south on HWY-83. It is a dirt/gravel field with full hookups and is $10 a night cash in the box. There were only a couple of other trailers there and I believe the people were living in them and working nearby as no one was around until late evening. There is no shade, but it is a good place for an overnight stay. There was some dairy truck traffic for the first few hours we were there, but after that it was pretty quiet.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #23

Day 48

We again left in the morning after breakfast west on the I-40. This time we made it to Rocky Point Campground just north of Santa Rosa, NM on HWY-91. The campground has water/electric sites and a dump before you leave. This campground is way in the back across a dam overlooking the Santa Rosa campground. We booked a site with electric/water on the reserveamerica.com website before we arrived. There were a few other people there around us, but not really close. Behind each site there is a covered concrete picnic bench. The sites are fairly narrow but long enough we were able to park in front of my truck.

We went down into the town to the only small grocery store after setting up and getting the AC turned on. While there, I put a couple of dollars into the powerball/megamillions lottery machine and it ate my money. The store said the machine is broken but didn't bother to put a sign on it and wouldn't/couldn't give me my money back. Needless to say I was pretty hot about that - if you know you have a problem, fix it or put a sign on it so others know.

We drove down to the lake where people were tent camping. The wind had picked up and there were whitecaps on the water. The tents looked like they were about to blow away to Texas. I was glad we were up on the hill a little protected from the wind. If I lived closer to this lake, I would stay again. I don't remember the cost, but I think it was pretty cheap for the night.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #24

Day 49

We left in the morning and made it to USA RV Park in Gallup, NM. I was really worried that the train noise was going to keep me up at night, but surprisingly I couldn't hear it from the middle of the park where our spot was. The spot we had was full hookups and had a pool, so you know what I did right?

WRONG - about 5 miles up the road before we got there, my truck went into this cycle of trying to clean the exhaust filter over and over. It was getting dark by the time we got into town. I knew I had a problem, but didn't know how to fix it. I had plenty of DEF and my truck was brand new. I ran some searches on the internet and some others replaced the air filter to fix the problem. I ran up to the Autozone and replaced my really dirty one. Nope, didn't fix the problem. That's when I went back and jumped in the warm pool with the bee's.

The park was fairly full, but quiet the whole night until the early morning when a really low flying turbo prop airplane took off from the nearby airport woke everyone up. Pull up please!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #25

Day 50 - headed home

We left for home on the last day and were ready to get home. My truck was not having the exhaust filter regen problem so I thought we would be fine. I don't know what cured it, but it wasn't doing it in the morning.

Well, by the time we got close to Flagstaff, AZ the check engine light came on and my truck was telling me I needed service soon as well as it was cycling over and over again that it was trying to regen. It was a Saturday in the early afternoon. I decided to just let it ride until we got home a few hours later.

We made it home with a bunch of dash lights, but I didn't care at that point, it was nice to be home. My grass died at some point and my HOA was sending me nastygrams to fix my sprinklers.

I cleared the codes on my truck one last time after parking the trailer. My truck sat in front of my house for a couple of days before I drove it again and had not had any issues since. I don't know why it had the problem and it is gone now, so I am not super worried about it. My guess is it needed a rest. Actually I am guessing the filter got something built up on the sensor and needed a few days rest to solidify it so it could burn off on the next regen cycle.