Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Cross country trip

In mid-December, I am leaving South Carolina and going to Pasadena to see the Rose Parade. We are making a one week side trip into Salt Lake City to see our daughter at Christmas. We have never traveled in the winter time. We are taking I20-I10 across the country but concerned about the cold weather we will encounter in SLC. I am also taking my parents...both in their 80's so want to keep the rig as comfortable as possible. I have a 2013 Bounder, 34ft class A.
Any tips or recommendations about traveling in cold weather, being set up for a week in SLC. We do not have the arctic package. I have a 25 gal propane tank, how long will that last me with my furnace running while I am driving on the highway? How do I keep my water filter from freezing (it is in a basement compartment)? Just random concerns and there may be more I need to be considering, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
LenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood has short hoses connected to the heater ducts. they blow heated air into the basement to keep the water lines from freezing. Just make sure you close all basement doors to keep the warm air in. My only customers that had a problem were the ones that did not close the doors all the way.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm traveling from DC to Boise, ID after the 1st of January. Unless you hit a snowstorm(and you never know when that's going to happen) you should be OK. Just keep everything full; water, lp gas, fuel etc. I actually leave the basement storage compartment (where the water/sewer hookups are)lights on when over nighting if it gets below freezing. Those little bulbs keep the compartments from freezing up. Just stay on the main highways and stay on top of the weather alerts. I'll plan on holding over if a storm hits. Good luck with your trip. I'm traveling south all the way to Albeccurque then head up north to Salt Lake/Boise.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

I think you may be better off flying, especially with your elderly parents. If you get caught in some bad traveling weather it may get stressful for them and you.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Len,

We'll be at the Rose Parade too! My wife is riding on the Donate Life float. But we are flying.

We did NJ to Sacramento in October and had to dodge a snow storm in WY. The mountains east of SLC are pretty high and snowy.

You have to give yourself plenty of time and watch the weather reports and highway conditions closely. If you get dumped on with snow, it could be a while before you dig out.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #6

Thank you. I thought the basement lights might be useful. Any idea how long a 25 gallon tank of propane will last? 1 or 2 weeks?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #7

Thank you. We picked up the rig mid trip in June and got a very short orientation, so we are learning as we go. Any idea how long a 25 gal of propane will last? 1 or 2 weeks?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Your propane heater burns a lot more propane than the stove or refrig. You also have heat loss through the big windows and MH's are not very well insulated.

You may want to turn on the heater in your driveway now and see how long it lasts in SC. If you burn 1/2 tank in a few days with only chilly nights, you can estimate how long it will last in some really cold weather.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #9

Maybe I missed something. If the route is I-20 & I-10 where is the cold weather you'll be driving through? You wouldn't be north of Atlanta & Dallas.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Maybe I missed something. If the route is I-20 & I-10 where is the cold weather you'll be driving through? You wouldn't be north of Atlanta & Dallas.
I am south of both of those cities and the temp has not gotten above freezing for four days. Thankfully, it is supposed to warm up this week.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

We have been in Boise area the last month with day temps 40 plus,night temps 20s.
Use an extend-a stay with a 30 gallon tank.
28 gallons used in 10 days ,so I doubt your tank will last a week.
We also use electric heaters and turn heat down to 60 at night just for your information. dave
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakratdave View Post
We have been in Boise area the last month with day temps 40 plus,night temps 20s.
Use an extend-a stay with a 30 gallon tank.
28 gallons used in 10 days ,so I doubt your tank will last a week.
We also use electric heaters and turn heat down to 60 at night just for your information. dave
Thanks Dave. Have no experience with the furnace, we have been fair weather motorhome people up to this date. Appreciate the response.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are your a/c unit(s) also heat pumps, do you have a generator. If so run your gen all the way to/from and also use 1 or 2 small quartz heaters. See how much you're using.
Or use propane on the way out and fill when you get there. There are propane refill stations all across the US.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Are your a/c unit(s) also heat pumps, do you have a generator. If so run your gen all the way to/from and also use 1 or 2 small quartz heaters. See how much you're using.
Or use propane on the way out and fill when you get there. There are propane refill stations all across the US.
Thanks for the advice. One of my units is a heat pump. I ran the generator most of the time last trip because of how hot and we have cats that travel with us, so used to running with the generator on. I have been looking into the quartz heaters. Looks like it is a draw between the generator and running the furnace from a cost standpoint, but depending on the outside temperature, may need to run the furnace for keeping water lines and tanks warm.