Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #15

Shotguns in Canada

Thanks to everyone for your information - really appreciate it. When I was seeking info on the border and things you can take across to Canada there was an article that said that there were changes made in 2012 - that is what is really confusing me - what exactly are those changes. I am going to call to confirm but know there are RVers who have been to Canada recently and they might be able to provide info. Not really worried about people in Canada to have the shotgun - we have always traveled with a handgun but I know we cannot take those into Canada - so the shotgun issue came up. I also read you cannot take dogfood into Canada (we have two small dogs - have all their papers and shot records, etc. for the border) but the dog food thing was a suprise. I think there may be a change in that restriction for 2012 but am not sure??? Again, thank you all for you input, I am glad to have any info I can get!! Darlene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Here is a part from the cbsa-asfc.gc.ca web site
Firearms Classification

All firearms are classified as non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. If you are a visitor to Canada, you cannot import prohibited firearms under any circumstances. Canadian residents can not import newly acquired prohibited firearms under any circumstances.

Non-restricted firearms include:

semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and do not otherwise fall into a restricted or prohibited category; and
single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.
Restricted firearms include:

most handguns;
semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and
firearms restricted by regulations.
Prohibited firearms include:

handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge;
firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
firearms prohibited by regulations.

Remember any weapon you chose to bring into Canada must be to protect you from any potential dangerous wildlife encounters. That does include mace.
You may want to check on how to store your weapons when travelling in Canada.
Enjoy your travels in Canada.
Sounds like I can bring my AR and AK in to Canada as per the above info.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I would save myself the hassle and just leave the guns at home when you travel to Canada. There is really no need for them up there to "feel safe". The Canadians are a lot more 'civilized' than the Americans and the violent crime rate is a LOT lower.
Besides, if a Grizzly was attacking you, your little 'pea-shooters' would only make it more angry...
Actually the crime rate is higher in Canada and GB than the US, especially the home breakins while people are home. One of the reasaon is that way crimes are reported in the different countries. In the US 10 apartments/house that burglarized are 10 different "crimes". In GB they are considered one crime for reporting purposes. I think Canada is the same although I'm not sure.
And some of the "pea-shooters" some carry are well capable of doing very serious damage to a Grizzly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #18

There is a Webb site that will allow you to print out a permit. Print it out with all the information when you get to the border take it in and pay $25 they will give you 3 copies of the permit. The gun cannot be loaded and the gun and ammo must be in different parts of the coach. The permit is good for 90 days. It basically just allows you to transport the gun through Canada.You show the permit at each border crossing. One copy is kept with the gun the other to show at crossings. That's how it worked in 2009 for our Alaska trip.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Sounds like I can bring my AR and AK in to Canada as per the above info.
Sorry they are both restrictive weapons here in Canada.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
anybody know what the deal is for Canadians bringing guns into the US?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwright View Post
There is a Webb site that will allow you to print out a permit. Print it out with all the information when you get to the border take it in and pay $25 they will give you 3 copies of the permit. The gun cannot be loaded and the gun and ammo must be in different parts of the coach. The permit is good for 90 days. It basically just allows you to transport the gun through Canada.You show the permit at each border crossing. One copy is kept with the gun the other to show at crossings. That's how it worked in 2009 for our Alaska trip.
That was pretty much the deal for us. Took about an hour and a half to make the crossing after handing over our Passports. They need to run the serial number on the gun and backgrounds checks on us. While we waited two border agents went through our Bounder. So make sure you have declared everything that needs to be. They were neat and did not rip apart anything, even complimented my wife on how clean our Bounder was. We got the permit at the time of crossing in northern ID.

Bob
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Where are you guys crossing? I crossed US/Canada several times last May through July last year from Washington state to Alaska and back. Had the paper work filled out before we left and crossed in like 20 min the first time to register the paper work. And shorter times after I had the paper work stamped and paid the $25 fee. I purchased a 870 selfdefence weapon 7 shot and when asked said I was carrying it while fishing in Alaska. Do fill out the USA side paper work before you go also it will save a bit of time coming back to the lower 48.
As to the 12 gauge slugs and double 00 buck stopping a grizz. Well 500 grains at 1400 fps will do the job but you must hit the target.
Have a great Alaska trip, OH and I agree the top of the world hiway is for Toads, I did it and would not do it again. But I would not miss it either.

LEN
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #23

There are certain border crossing that are more lax than other. Ive taken guns and dog food across the border without any issues. Usually takes 10 mins. to go inside and give them $25 per gun to register them. Never had anyone even look at the guns. Have all paperwork printed out and filled out ahead of time.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree! Plus studies show you are better off 'arming' yourself with Pepper spray than a gun in a bear encounter. adn.com | Gun is no insurance policy in bear attack, study indicates

I grew up in a hunting family, hunted myself in Pa, and quit over 40 years ago. I don't own a gun and never will. I feel safer in Canada and Australia where guns are restricted than in the U.S. where any nut can get (and misuse) a handgun.
I believe "pepper spray" is also on the no...no list. "Bear Spray" is Ok.