Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Crossing Canadian Border into Canada with gun

I understand that although guns are not allowed to cross the Canadian border from the US, you are allowed to take a shotgun across the Canadian border. My question is, how short can the barrel of a shotgun be and still be legal when you cross the border. We are leaving for Canada (and Alaska) next month (May) and have been trying to find out the legal length (shortest) for legal entry into Canada and cannot find that part out. appreciate any help. Thank you, Darlene
Darlene77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Basically 18 inches, but there are a lot of rules regarding different kinds of guns, whether the short barrel is "factory", or you (or someone else) cut it down, etc. Wikipedia has a lot of info. Also you can go to Consulate websites for official rules. Hope this helps a little.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Please do not rely on advice we "arm chair experts" will give you on this important issue. Rely, instead on official information. You can start here at the RCMP information website Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Have a good trip.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #5

don't want to sound rude at all, but, really, you must be able to find an answer to such a serious question in a more "official" venue. try www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.
randren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #6

Guns and Canadian border

thanks Rarden - I have sent emails to all official sites regarding the border in Canada, just have not had any replies, so I thought I would post on here in case anyone had gone there recently and knew the answer while I wait for replies from officials. My understanding is that the law have changed a little in 2012, but not sure what that means exactly - there is no mention I can see of the legal length of the shotgun (right now I believe it may still be 18 inches or longer, but not less than 18 inches, and not a sawed off shotgun).
thanks to all for their replies and help, will await response from emails to the officials.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Waiting for the answer on this too as I have a Win 1300 Marine Defender with 20" barrel. I have several others up to a 26" barrel 870.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #8

Shotgun length legal in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Waiting for the answer on this too as I have a Win 1300 Marine Defender with 20" barrel. I have several others up to a 26" barrel 870.
Good luck Mr. D - if you get a reply would you please post what you find out. I did get the phone number for the Border Service Agency and will call on Monday, if you still need the info by then I will post what they say.
Darlene
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a part from the cbsa-asfc.gc.ca web site
Firearms Classification

All firearms are classified as non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. If you are a visitor to Canada, you cannot import prohibited firearms under any circumstances. Canadian residents can not import newly acquired prohibited firearms under any circumstances.

Non-restricted firearms include:

semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and do not otherwise fall into a restricted or prohibited category; and
single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.
Restricted firearms include:

most handguns;
semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and
firearms restricted by regulations.
Prohibited firearms include:

handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge;
firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
firearms prohibited by regulations.

Remember any weapon you chose to bring into Canada must be to protect you from any potential dangerous wildlife encounters. That does include mace.
You may want to check on how to store your weapons when travelling in Canada.
Enjoy your travels in Canada.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
edj

I would save myself the hassle and just leave the guns at home when you travel to Canada. There is really no need for them up there to "feel safe". The Canadians are a lot more 'civilized' than the Americans and the violent crime rate is a LOT lower.
Besides, if a Grizzly was attacking you, your little 'pea-shooters' would only make it more angry...
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I would save myself the hassle and just leave the guns at home when you travel to Canada. There is really no need for them up there to "feel safe". The Canadians are a lot more 'civilized' than the Americans and the violent crime rate is a LOT lower.
Besides, if a Grizzly was attacking you, your little 'pea-shooters' would only make it more angry...
I agree! Plus studies show you are better off 'arming' yourself with Pepper spray than a gun in a bear encounter. adn.com | Gun is no insurance policy in bear attack, study indicates

I grew up in a hunting family, hunted myself in Pa, and quit over 40 years ago. I don't own a gun and never will. I feel safer in Canada and Australia where guns are restricted than in the U.S. where any nut can get (and misuse) a handgun.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I spent the winter parked next to my Ontario buddy. He lent me a Canadian gun catalog to look at. I was surprised to see that Canada allows a much shorter barrel length on a shotgun than the US 18" minimum. This was quite a surprise.

In Canada one can buy a shotgun with a barrel as short as 8.5". C$399.

Here is a link to Dominion Arms Grizzly Shotgun - 8.5" - 12 ga pump.

CanadaAmmo.com*::*Firearms*::*Dominion Arms Grizzly Shotgun - 8.5" - 12 ga

And a photo from the ad.

-Tom

Canada

Short-barreled, manually operated shotguns (non-semi-automatics) are non-restricted as long as the barrel remains unmodified from the original factory length. There is no legal minimum for shotgun barrels as long as they are not handguns, and so shotguns with barrels as short as 8.5 inches are available in Canada. Despite this, the act of reducing the barrel of a shotgun with a greater than 18 inch barrel below this length by sawing, cutting, or "otherwise" (by anyone other than a recognized gun manufacturer) is prohibited.

Below is another link to a Remington 870 "Shorty" 8.5.

http://www.dlaskarms.com/product_inf...products_id=15

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Firearm Restrictions

If your plan is to hunt, with a guide, at a registered hunting camp, that you can show is booked in advance, you may have a chance. On the other hand>
You will be at the border for at least three hours, even if you have everything as far as permits, licences, and God knows what else they may dream up. You will be asked more questions than you care to believe. You will be treated as a common criminal, even if you have everything in order. (they dream up new conceived standards and rules ever day)

If you are taking them for self protection, forget it. They won't even let you enter with them. You don't need it. Canada is a very safe country compared to the USA. As for wild animals, you will see no more than you would in most states. They are more scared of you than you are of them. Even in the more northern areas, the only people that carry guns with them, are the Rednecks and cops.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT GUN FREE TRIP!!!

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
If you are taking them for self protection, forget it. They won't even let you enter with them. You don't need it. Canada is a very safe country compared to the USA.
Maybe, but when we were in Vancouver in 2009 two Canadians were killed by another Canadian carrying a pistol just a few blocks from our RV park. It does not matter how many laws are in place, the criminals will find the weapons they need!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote