Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #1

Crossing into Canada

I don't know if this is so at other crossings, but it applies when crossing N at the end of interstate15 .

If any of you are crossing into Canada, be prepared. They now have an xray machine that can scan a car, motorhome or 18 wheeler. No joke. They can see if you have 10 or 12 bottles of wine on their monitor. The guy explained to me that it is best to inventory every bit of booze and any tabacco products (ie how many cigars you have) prior to crossing. If you made an error, you have a choice, pay tax on the items that you missed or give it up. PAY THE TAX. If you surrender the item, you will be thoroughly searched every time you cross into Canada, forever. The customs/border guy explained it to me in detail. He was very nice, BTW.
Take heed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Sounds pretty much like my trips through American Customs at Laurier on WA. 395 ; every vehicle gets a full scan; quicker and requires less staff than searches.
I always laugh when they ask about the amount of booze on board,; I ask if they've ever bought booze in Canada, it's 3>4 times the price , that it is in the USA , why would we bring any with us.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

I should have mentioned in my first post , that the other crossing I frequently use at WA 97 , has a scanner too, but it is after the booths, unlike Laurier where it is before. When I cross there I try to get a lane where I can easily access the scanner, and pull through, always speeds up the inspection; mostly for citrus; which happens every time we cross in either place.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

That's some pretty scary stuff. For the casual traveler it probably doesn't mean much, but how about the truck drivers who pass through it every day?? I can imagine that after a period of time they probably glow in the dark.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Makes good sense to me it will be far quicker than having the unit searched.
Some people have a problem with honesty. I would say they are in for a big surprise!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #6

Not so much a matter of honesty, as it is one of accuracy. If you say you have 6 bottles of wine at the crossing window, it better be exactly that. Count everything before approaching the border. DON'T APPROXIMATE OR GUESS!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And if you say you have no guns, you better have NO guns. I bet that is what they are really looking for.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:57 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
And if you say you have no guns, you better have NO guns. I bet that is what they are really looking for.
Speaking of which, this made the news yesterday

Guns seized at Canada-U.S. border crossing in southern Alberta - Calgary - CBC News
Old 05-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #9

RE: Guns going into Canada. I do not like traveling without a gun as I had an incident while sleeping in a remote area and two thugs tried to break into our Motorhome. Our dog alerted us, another advantage of traveling with Fido and I had no gun on board. However, I yelled as loud as I could that both my wife and I were armed with shotguns and we were ready to fire on them unless they immediately left. They did and I did, driving through the night to a more populated area.

I took a long trip from FL to BC. I know they hate pistols in Canada, so I carried a 12 gauge shotgun. At a border crossing in Montana, I told them I had a shotgun as I was headed to Alaska to hunt (a fib), they told me to come inside and I filled our a form paid a small fee ($20 or so) and was on my way. They did not want to see the gun nor did them come inside. I would want to know what kind of x-ray machine can pickup wine and guns inside an RV that is full of metal and all kinds of crap. Do the people stay inside and if so, what kind of dose of radiation does that high powered gizmo
give off?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #10

Some of those scanners are pretty sophisticated. I personally set one off after having a nuclear scan done when entering Andrews AFB a few years back.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #11

They make you and your pets get out.

Tags
ada