Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Crowding...

Were planning our first trip in our motorhome, headed to McDowell Nature preserve near Charlotte, then to Stone Mtn Georgia for a couple nights.
Cant help notice how most parks like to pack RVs in so tight its a wonder you can get a slideout to move. Can anyone recommend any spots in the SE that there is a little more room to breathe?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you want full hook ups, the campsites might be crowded together. To space them out, more water line, more electric wires and transformers, more sewer pipe. If you can survive without full hook up, you'll find campsites more spread out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

That's why public parks were always our first choice - even with our 40' motorhome - nice big sites in a scenic setting. For the SE you might want to try Corp of Engineers parks or state parks - the majority will have at least electric, some with water and some with full hookups. We also loved forest service campgrounds - some even have full hookups, county and city parks. Of course, national parks are awesome! We stayed away from private RV parks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

I just returned from a weekend at Twin Lakes Campground on Lake Hartwell (Pendleton SC). It is 20 minutes off I-85 and amazed me at how spacious the sites are. On one side it was over 100 feet to the closest site, and on the other side it was over 200. All of the sites are on the water. It is a Corps of Engineer facility and sites have water and 50 amp electric, no sewer. There is a dump station.

It is booked pretty solid for weekends, but fairly empty on weekdays.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you want full hook ups, the campsites might be crowded together. To space them out, more water line, more electric wires and transformers, more sewer pipe. If you can survive without full hook up, you'll find campsites more spread out.
And more land and that's expensive now too. Plus they would have fewer spots to rent out so of course they're going to get as many in as they can!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recall one park in Las Vegas where the sites were so wide that when both my next site neighbor and I put out our slides you walked a zig-zag to walk around our rig (They overlapped.. Not touched but overlapped AND I BACKED INTO THAT SITE ( )

Where I am wide sites, no trees (Cathead Creek Ranch RV park) but we are a long way from Charoltte. (I-95 GA exit 49 area)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And more land and that's expensive now too. Plus they would have fewer spots to rent out so of course they're going to get as many in as they can!
That's certainly true of private campgrounds. U.S., State, County, not so much, they often have the land but not the money to spread the utilities too far. In addition, the government parks don't want to get so big as to become resource, traffic, scenic problems.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You might try Shady Grove campground on lake lanier .. north of Atlanta. There are a number of nice campgrounds on Lanier, check the COE site.

Link to Shady Grove.. looks like it is a Forsyth county park. Think it used to be a COE park.

https://www.forsythco.com/DeptPage.a...=40&PageID=812
Old 05-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
great suggestions!

Thanks so much!!