Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

Crystal River, Fl

In a month or so, we will be heading to Crystal River, Fl and setting up for the winter at Nature's Coast Rv Resort. Has anyone spent any time in the area, looking for tips of things to do and places to visit. Also is there any kind of insect problems other than the normal flying type to watch out for? Am planning on doing some fishing and motorcycle touring while we enjoy the warmer weather than what we are used to in Missouri..

pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

Have heard of "sugar ants". Bring some SEVEN dust to sprinkle around the rig and on the tires.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi pddgm,

You are staying at a very nice place. The coach and people will be in concrete.

Go to Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park for information about a State Park with Manatees.

Across the street from where you are staying is a great place to walk, bike and enjoy peace and quiet.

There are many seafood restaurants south of where you are staying right along Route 98.

Go to Printing Museum & Cafe to read about a very interesting tour of a print shop. There is a café at the same location. They have good food. The printer has quite a bit of printing equipment. He has some stories that will interest you, quite a bit. Yes, he has printed USA paper money (legally). You'll need to get a minimum number of people together for a tour. There is no fee, but donations are accepted.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Crystal River NWR

Stop in to the Crystal River NWR Hqtrs and get the 3 Sisters Springs open house schedule. It is only once a month, 1 full day and three 1/2 days during the winter season. If you don't have your own kayak or canoe there are plenty of outfitters that will rent. Also be sure to sign up for a swim with the manatees tour boat. They will provide everything you need to get in the water.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you mean Nature Coast Landings RV Resort this is a nice park. All lots are privately owned. There are some "no-see-em" bugs here because of the proximity to water. NCL is located on what was to become the cross FL canal. There is a paved bike path that follows the uncompleted canal. The path goes from NCL to the gulf. My friend saw a huge rattlesnake on the path when he was riding his bike. NCL can be cliquish with lot owners separating themselves from renters. There is also some conflicts between dog owners and non dog owners but this goes on everywhere. You'll probably have a few nights when the temps dip below freezing but weather is mostly nice. When the forecast is for <30 I'll leave my bathroom sink faucet dripping. I've never had any freeze problems. With all that said I would have no problem staying here myself.

Gary Burghoff owns a couple lots here and stays here for the winter. Gary played Radar on the old Mash TV series.

I've stayed about 8 miles from NCL for the last 11 years. We spend 4-6 months in this area so I know it well. We like this area because traffic is very light compared to south FL. We stay at Quail Roost RV CG and will be there from ~12/1 to 4/1. No bugs at Quail Roost.

There is a restaurant just north of the canal on 19 named Mama Sally's. We eat there a couple times a month. I'll drive thru NCL and if I see your motorhome I'll stop.

Have a nice winter.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
If you mean Nature Coast Landings RV Resort this is a nice park. All lots are privately owned. There are some "no-see-em" bugs here because of the proximity to water. NCL is located on what was to become the cross FL canal. There is a paved bike path that follows the uncompleted canal. The path goes from NCL to the gulf. My friend saw a huge rattlesnake on the path when he was riding his bike. NCL can be cliquish with lot owners separating themselves from renters. There is also some conflicts between dog owners and non dog owners but this goes on everywhere. You'll probably have a few nights when the temps dip below freezing but weather is mostly nice. When the forecast is for <30 I'll leave my bathroom sink faucet dripping. I've never had any freeze problems. With all that said I would have no problem staying here myself.

Gary Burghoff owns a couple lots here and stays here for the winter. Gary played Radar on the old Mash TV series.

I've stayed about 8 miles from NCL for the last 11 years. We spend 4-6 months in this area so I know it well. We like this area because traffic is very light compared to south FL. We stay at Quail Roost RV CG and will be there from ~12/1 to 4/1. No bugs at Quail Roost.

There is a restaurant just north of the canal on 19 named Mama Sally's. We eat there a couple times a month. I'll drive thru NCL and if I see your motorhome I'll stop.

Have a nice winter.

-Tom
Thanks for the info, guess every park has problems with someone not liking others due to their status, long termers vs overnighters, etc. Makes no difference to me, I can get along or not with about anyone. We will be on lot 219, on the corner across from the pool,etc. Looking forward to spending some quality time walking the trails, etc. Since I have a water system malfunction, I only have water in my tank, and the compartments are heated, so freezing shouldn't be a problem, I hope. Always looking for good places to put on the ole feed bag and learn about local happenings. Just look for a cream colored Kia or white Harley.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

For your riding, there are lots of nice roads in the area. I'm about 90 miles south, but come up every once in a while . The Bay Port In usually has some bikes there on the weekends. On the first Sunday of the month is a large MC swap meet at the Webster Flea Market that I usually go to several times a year just to look at stuff. Also, on every Monday, the Webster market is a farmers market/flea market. Good way to get some exercise walking around.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
For your riding, there are lots of nice roads in the area. I'm about 90 miles south, but come up every once in a while . The Bay Port In usually has some bikes there on the weekends. On the first Sunday of the month is a large MC swap meet at the Webster Flea Market that I usually go to several times a year just to look at stuff. Also, on every Monday, the Webster market is a farmers market/flea market. Good way to get some exercise walking around.
Where is this in relation to where we are, I don't see Webster on my Florida map?

Thanks for the info..
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
In a month or so, we will be heading to Crystal River, Fl and setting up for the winter at Nature's Coast Rv Resort. Has anyone spent any time in the area, looking for tips of things to do and places to visit. Also is there any kind of insect problems other than the normal flying type to watch out for? Am planning on doing some fishing and motorcycle touring while we enjoy the warmer weather than what we are used to in Missouri..
If you like a leisurely couple of hours in the water try tubing at Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon (not too far from Crystal River).

Welcome to Florida State Parks
Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Where is this in relation to where we are, I don't see Webster on my Florida map?

Thanks for the info..
Google Webster flea market,plenty there even directions.It's southeast of you.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We've stayed at NCL in Crystal River multiple times... great crowd and lots to do! Be sure to dine at Mama Sallys & Codys!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks for the info..
It's southeast, on the east side of I-75. maybe about 40 miles or so from Crystal River.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #13

You'll definitely have to do a day trip to Cedar Key and have lunch at Tony's Restaurant. 3 time winner of the "Great Chowder Cook-Off" in the New England area

Tony's Famous Cedar Key Clam Chowder

Lots of nice M/C riding in the area. Depending on how far you want to ride, you might also take a trip to Daytona for Biketoberfest in October.

Biketoberfest Daytona Beach Florida

FLORIDA Motorcycle Events & Biker Rallies Calendar (Page 1) - CycleFish
Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #14

We are headed back to NCL in Nov. for our sixth year. Great bunch of people there and being a renter or owner, makes no difference at all.
There is one owner who dislikes anyone`s dog but if your dog is leashed and doesn`t go on his lot you will have no problem.
We are on site 202, Please stop by and introduce yourself.