Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Custer South Dakota

Leaving Cleveland first of June for a trip to the Badlands and Custer. Got most of the trip planned out but looking for suggestions on campgrounds in/around Custer for a motorhome. Going to spend a week in Custer so we want to have a nice campground.
Wshiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Several nice campgrounds in Custer and Hill City, just be gone by the first week of August, Sturgis 75th Rally.(Expecting a million bikes).

Check RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for reviews by RVers.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Several nice campgrounds in Custer and Hill City, just be gone by the first week of August, Sturgis 75th Rally.(Expecting a million bikes).

Check RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for reviews by RVers.

Fred

I would bet over half million get hauled there. I remember when people used to ride there motorcycles instead of hauling them.

We rode to sturgis three times, and stayed at the KOA in Custer, it was nice.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

We stayed twice in Custer... LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it..

Going back to the area for Sturgis this year (and yes, we're hauling the bikes )... its kinda hard to ride them when you bring your hotel room with you...

First time we stayed at Beaver Lake Campground (Beaver Lake Campground | Beaver Lake Campground, Custer, South Dakota)... It was nice.. nothing special, it had a slide and pool for the kids and served a purpose.. I wouldn't consider it a "resort" type place.. just some place to park the RV while we spent most of our time sightseeing..

Second time thru.. We stayed at Stockade Lake North Campground (SD GFP | State Parks | Directory | Custer State Park | Campgrounds | Stockade North Campground) in Custer State Park.. It was beautiful.. would have loved to stay the week, but it only has electric, no water or sewer...

Good luck, I know you won't be disappointed in the area.. and do yourself a favor and go check out Deadwood.. very cool town !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #5

I stayed in Custer's Gulch campground. If you stay there, try to get in the far end of the campground as the entry road, about 1/2 mile long is quite dusty and the front part of the campground is near that road. Campground wifi was good and they have several servers throughout the campground.

No matter where you stay, filter your water at the hydrant. Lots grit and mud collected on my faucet washer screen. Can't imagine how much went through the screen. I stayed in another campground north of Custer for a week and one of the campers found small pieces of gravel on his faucet washer screen.

I have a good friend that stayed at the Game Lodge camp ground and thought it was great. But it is not a full hookup. I would have tried that one but I had two grandkids with me for a week and my tanks wouldn't withstand that.

Be sure to check your route. Some of the roads in the park have low clearance tunnels and are narrow with sharp turns.

Beautiful area. Stay as long as you can and don't miss the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs just south of Custer.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed at Wheels West RV Park & 7th Cavalry Cafe and had a great time. Hosts are great people and the view out our front window was incredible. The open field would fill up with elk every morning and every night. A great restaurant on site also.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

Atop the mountain North of Custer (approx. 1 mile) is Custer Crazy Horse CG. We stayed there the last trip to the area. It's just a place to park W/FHU's. For those with "big rigs"-stay on the top level. There is no shade there, but the lower levels with lots of shade have narrow roads and sites. (Google maps is your friend here)
The temperature was always about 10-15* cooler than down in Custer. One evening we even got some light hail.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Fort Welikeit is probably the closest campground to the park. It was new when we worked there in '03. We have visited since and it is still a nice campground.
Black Hills Campground
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
rpk

Wish I could let you use my driveway! 30 amps, dump, and water all right there. We are in the Portland area for the summer. I would consider Fort Welikit unless kids need diversions, then Beaver Lake or KOA.

While you're there, get a tour from Golden Circle. They,ll give a very good tour of the Park, Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. People who try to tour the area by themselves drive me nuts...there is so much more to the Southern Black Hills.

Enjoy!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #10

We visited Custer last year and planned on a week, we ended up staying for a month. Only two days in Badlands, not a lot to see and signs everywhere to watch for rattlesnakes.
We stayed at Big Pine, lot of trees, not good for satellite reception though, very quiet and peaceful the owners are great people.
While there be sure to visit Crazy Horse memorial, lots to see in the entire area around there. The bikes are not a problem in Custer as Sturgis is about an hour away and the bikers in Custer area are not the young and crazy crowd that like to stay closer to Sturgis.

Big Pine Campground Custer South Dakota
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Sheridan Lake is a beautiful campground with lots of Ponderosa pines. We stayed there June 2014 and were almost alone. Only water and electric at sites but CG does have dump station.
Close to Hill City which was our favorite area.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've visited the area many times over the years and have settled on the Rafter J Bar, just south of Hill City, as our temporary residence of choice. It's central to most of the sights in the area. Straight out of the campground, up and over the mountain, and you're at Mt. Rushmore. You're close to Custer State Park, the Iron Mountain road, the Crazy Horse monument and the nice little city of Hill City. The city of Custer is maybe 25 minutes to the south. You can choose the type of site you prefer - wide open or in the trees. The park is large and the sites widely spread in smaller clusters.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #13

another fan of beaver lake campground. service is supreme
beaverfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

x2 what beaverfever said. We were there last year and enjoyed ourselves very much.
bov67 is offline   Reply With Quote